Will DP-XY era PSA 10 Pops be low forever?

Small thought ive had is how hard will getting psa 10s of dp-xy cards be in the future? I say this because pop counts on these sets are already low unless youre charizard and people werent grading modern pokemon in those times so a lot of these cards were either played or sat in boxes because there was no incentive to grade them. Now of course there is so much more sealed product out there unopened from this era but i still cant fathom those holos and most ultra rares hitting anywhere over 500 on psa 10s on a high end like best examples is prime cards like those pops are astronomically low and those cards are impossible to come across in gem condition. Am I underrating the supply/condition of that supply out there? Idk but even from holos i just enjoy the art of from that era that ive picked up still hard to come across gem copies

Lots of supply out there, they just never were worth the time to grade. LV X PSA 10’s just sold for $1000-$2000 while their PSA 9 counterparts are around $100. They’ll probably go up in pop as more ppl begin to grade them.

Im excited for more LVX to get graded, have you seen Gengar?! Damn

1 Like

pops will increase, likely much more than ex pops. It’s widely accepted that DP-P print runs were significantly larger than early EX Series print runs, yet the early EX series pops are much higher. The reality is that very few people collect Gen 4. Maybe that will change, but the low pops reflect the current and past lack of popularity more than anything else.

Regarding DP Era:

Likely will not stay low forever. When the prices catch up(which it seems they already have, I think they will show up slowly through bulk submission. That said, the ratios of Lv X 9 to 10 are rather low, so PSA 10s are not easy.

As of recent, two PSA 10 Palkia Lv X (Great Encounters) have been added to the pop report, which makes it a pop 10. Perhaps a signal of things to come.

As someone who pulled 30+ lv.x’s myself and put them pack to sleeve, I wouldn’t count on 10s flooding in anytime soon. Lotta 9’s and 8’s though.

2 Likes

I hope so. I’d like to make a WTB on some DP/BW cards, but many of the PSA pops in 10 or 9 are one or zero. All my ungraded DP-BW era cards are played condition so it’s not worth grading them myself.

The pops will go up inevitably, but not too significantly in my opinion. I’ve pack pulled many DP era holos and Lv.X’s. A lot of these cards came out of the packs with corner issues such as nicks and whitening. DP era definitely had some crappy print quality. The DP era pop Lv.X cards I believe will be similar to the pop from rarer ex sets. The Platinum Lv.X pops I think will more resemble higher pop ex sets like Ruby/Sapphire, FRLG, etc. Platinum seemed to have slightly better quality and their pops are already a bit higher than DP sets. You have crap like POP 1 Garchomp Lv.X in Majestic Dawn which is insane.

2 Likes

pretty much what hairypokeballs say. I’ve been trying to find mint copy of abra and alakazam reverse holo from mysterious treasures that I opened pack fresh. So many corner issues. I was lucky enough to grade alakazam holo as 10 that I pulled.

@vic, @hairypokeballs, I agree with both of you, the print quality of that era is truly something terrible. I’d be very surprised to see the pop on the 10s explode tbh. I would expect the pop on the 9s to increase significantly though, which could make the 9-10 ratio even worse than the EX era.

Personally I don’t believe that there is THAT much more supply of NM+ Diamond/Pearl/Lv X out there

There more than likely isn’t. Even if we were to open the vast majority of sealed DPP product left, there would be a less than significant flood on 10 pops at most. Crappy quality, scarce sealed product (how often do you see sealed boxes of Secret Wonders, Majestic Dawn, and etc?), 1-2 Lv.X per box in earlier DP boxes and I believe 3-4 on the higher end per box when it comes to later DP and Platinum.

I think the print runs weren’t that low for DP, though. Sure, they were much lower than modern and early WotC, but they were much higher print run (or so it seems) than most of the EX Series.

There aren’t many DP boxes that come up for sale largely because that wasn’t the main way the sets were distributed. There were so, so many tins/blisters/supplemental products with DP packs. Much more so than any other earlier era. There appears to be a decent amount of sealed product left – it’s just mostly not in the form of booster boxes.

A lot of DP supply also hasn’t hit the market yet because it’s only become valuable recently. WotC and EX Series boxes have all been $500+ for 5< years now. Whereas DP boxes were still worth MSRP a few years ago lol. And most have only been $500+ for a year or so.

That’s true, I would agree with that. Its hard to say how much is really out there, but its definitely not ever going to be abundant on the market IMO. The sealed product has definitely become expensive since the beginning of 2020. Maybe people will open the product more in the future when more of the cards in the set gain traction, which will then make it less of a gamble to open DPP packs.

1 Like

I’d be surprised if there was any incentive at all to open those packs in the future. They are pretty expensive already, the pull rate for lv.Xs is very low (especially for the early D&P sets) and the print quality is kinda trash on average. Also these sets lack the presence of huge chase cards. The EV ratio is just so terrible it’s hard to imagine the prices of those cards spiking enough to fill the gap.
It will surely be interesting to see how the market for those sets will develop.

1 Like

As someone who chased and graded many of the BW/XY Full Arts & Secret Rares, I will tell you that you shouldn’t expect the pops to increase by any measurable amount. The story I always tell to highlight this is Flashfire. I opened over 10 cases of Flashfire and only got one FA PSA 10 charizard (one FA in total) in total from 60 boxes. I got 10 PSA 10s (FA, Ex, SR etc). The Black and white boxes have an extremely low pull rate for Full art with some sets have only 1 FA per box. The quality of the cards is extremely poor from Next Destinies to Plasma Storm. Plasma Blast and Freeze had much better quality and were very easy to grade. The Pokemon company resumed their terrible quality after Plasma Freeze to set before Ancient Origins (could be sooner). From Plasma Storm to Breakpoint/Through I opened up 4+ Cases of cards.

The only exception to all of this is CardRush Inc. There’s something off about their PSA 10s. I recall cards like Dark Explorers, Specicially Raikou, were cards I was chasing in PSA 10 forever. Card Rush had so many hard to grade english BW FA/SR PSA 10 cards. I’ve spoken to quite a few folks who have bought from them, myself as well, and their PSA 10s are substandard. They rare, if ever, show the back of their PSA 10s. This isn’t a 2xx vs 4xx cert debate as they seem to have this issues with many of their cards. They were responsible for single handedly increasing PSA 10 pop. Again, this has been my experience, but I hope it helps understand the difficulty of grading these sets.

4 Likes

Is the suspicion that CardRush bribed or otherwise colluded with PSA or PSA employee(s) to get more 10s in their submissions? I’ve never heard about this. If this is true, I’d imagine that it would be pretty big news. Did they mostly just grade XY era or did they grade a lot of cards from other eras, too?

As someone who owns a Card Rush graded Raikou, the quality of its back edges / corners is in line with the other nine BW PSA 10 full arts I own. I have a few with cleaner backs but also a few that have worse back edges / corners. Most of them at the very least have slight whitening on 1-2 corners. The Raikou does have the most off-centered back though.

I will add that the Next Destinies PSA 10 Chandelure I bought from Card Rush a few years ago does have a questionable amount of edge wear.

1 Like

As for Great Encounters, I’ve always speculated that the reason the Darkrai and Cresselia have such large pops compared to Dialga and Palkia was because of this product. Can anyone verify that the Darkrai and Cresselia in this product are identical to the ones pulled from packs in Great Encounters?

Yes, they are. Nintendo did this through the HGSS era as well with Prime cards like Espeon, Umbreon, Yanmega, and Machamp from sets given away as promos. Actually now that I think about it, they still do this with Reshiram & Charizard and Charizard & Braixen tag teams were set cards released as promos as well.

1 Like