Why Did We Weigh Packs With An $8500 Analytical Balance?

Some friends and I got together tonight and slapped Brandon’s 1st edition packs on my analytical balance then opened them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hUGUXAsp0

Did that additional accuracy prove anything or were we missing data from the rest of the box?

6 Likes

I shouldn’t have given into the peer pressure of opening that last pack. :rofl:

3 Likes

This is amazing! Is there anyway to just X-ray packs or some sort of scan that detects the holofoil coating?

Was this a scale borrowed from work?

Love that Dark Dragonite! Also great science experiment lol - do you think if you could use such a precise balance/scale with a larger sample, that one could predict or almost confidently predict the holo card contained in a “heavy” pack using the extra sub milligram digits? Not that this can be easily done in today’s day lol, but given so many people who weighed over the years used cheap weighing tools to begin with that likely were out of calibration and stuff and the ranges vary so much, I’ve never seen anyone use such a precise scientific-grade balance to weigh WOTC packs. And each heavy pack had different sub-milligram weights.

Listen, if they were able (after like almost 10 years) to recover and salvage the BURNT (they reversed the burning effect on the papyrus) of Archimedes’s Palimpsest and through extremely advanced digital imaging techniques including X-Rays and MRIs and all kinds of crazy crap, they were able to recover Archimedes’s text that was ERASED and had a Biblical Greek-Orthodox text written over it (when there were shortages of Papyrus, unfortunately science and mathematics were second to religion so they would recycle those books or scripts and had the monks or wtv write over them). And then to make things even more interesting in the 10 years leading up to 2008 that it took after the codex was auctioned off in like the late 90s, the researchers found like a third and fourth text as technology advanced lmao. Nuts… they dumped all the high res findings and images online and it’s never been revealed who bought it apart from the fact its some billionaire referred to as “Mr. B”, and apparently it isn’t Gates, and people have been long speculating it’s Bezos, who then donated/lent it to the museums and universities to do all this research, so he gets points for that.

Then… I’m pretty sure one could, with the right tools and some extremely unearthing desire, image a sealed booster box and break down the contents of card per card in each booster box.

** PS love Classical Era, Ancient Greece, Greco-Roman, Egypt, all the empires, etc. and all the jazz! That Palimpsest which proved that Calculus was in fact invented by Archimedes over 1000 years before the next best inventor, delayed scientific and technological advancement by a few hundred years (or so they say) and it was only sold for something like 2 million dollars in 1998 though. Not that it will ever be for sale, but now THAT is the type of holy grail shit I’d love to be able to one day collect or afford lol! **

1 Like

www.media.mit.edu/projects/reading-through-a-closed-book/overview/
www.nature.com/articles/ncomms12665 ← Actual Journal Article

We can in fact read text without opening a book. I’d guess with Pokemon cards we’d be able to discern energy symbol placement and count as easily identifiable markings. The card background might make it a bit more difficult considering they’re looking at black ink on white paper.

1 Like

You did it for science. lol

I sell lab equipment. :wink: