Why are there so many fake boxes of Evolutions?

I don’t see this with many other sets… but if you look on eBay, a lot of the listings are obviously fake boxes. Either at ridiculously low prices, or people who are trying to charge the full amount:

1. tiny pokeballs, with no trademark. ridiculous low price

2. Boosters upside down and sideways. small poke balls no trademark. funky wrap

3. tiny pokeballs, no trademarks

4. packs are the wrong color. small pokeballs, no tradmark

My shot-in-the-dark guess is that it has to do with it coinciding closely with Pokemon Go.

There was an uptick in TCG interest and fake cards being produced in response. It was also a popular set.

1 Like

Youll want to make a fake of the most recognizable and desirable set and I’d argue evolutions does that better than any other modern set. It rode on the 90s nostalgia, was available for years at stores (so more likely to be recognized) and is pretty desirable. The perfect set to make fakes of imo.

1 Like

I agree with both previous posts.
Probably several mixed reasons (Pokemon returning mainstream, a nostalgic set, the rise of Aliexpress/Wish apps, china getting better in understanding and copying this kind of products…) gave start at the grand era of modern fakes.

The crazy amount of this kind of modern fakes is surprising, they could easily infiltrate through small sellers in context where kids are the primary customers: I can often spot them in amusement parks, local festivals, small charity lotteries…
I can even recall a big seizure of counterfeit pokemon TCG products in Italy worth like 1 million, and I’m pretty sure it was during pokemon go/2016.

There are tons and tons still available, judging from what I see from Aliexpress/Alibaba. People seem to enjoy charizards, base set and megas, so maybe the kept producing this stuff.

1 Like

Base set Charizard reprint.

1 Like

Makes sense. I just don’t see why counterfeiters would waste their time faking a box that isn’t that much compared to other sets.

Why haven’t we see an influx of newer sets like Evolving Skies that are in more demand now? Or older sets that are worth more like Flashfire?

I have seen fake evolving skies booster boxes. I’d imagine some of these sources of fake booster boxes dont care or know enough to make the fakes of newer booster boxes that might make them more money. Theyre hitting the lowest common denominator with these fakes pokemon go evolutions booster boxes and whatnot. If someone falls for those, theyll fall for anything and thats the target theyre hitting I’d imagine. Either completely clueless collectors or unaware family members buying gifts for someone.

1 Like

Fakers in this case are clearly out of the loop imho, and will simply copy anything unless specifically instructed by westerners.
Every set after 2016 I think has been counterfeited and it’s available (though Evolutions being still so abundant is peculiar)

Here some examples after a quick search:

So I agree with wooltchi, this stuff is meant to be sold (for cheap or normal market value) to clueless/uncaring people or kids.
Having scammer trying to fool investors or collectors is a byproduct imho.