Why are Skyridge - Legendary & Aquapolis so expensive?

Hello new on this forum :blush: I recently began to take up my passion and interest in collecting Pokemon Cards again to try battle my gambling addiction, so instead of gambling a big sum of my salary away every month i was saved thanks to my old love for Pokemon. Have not gambling for 3 weeks now and my interest in Pokemon have overshadowed my addiction for online gambling. Better to buy valuable Pokemon cards that i see as an investment and a hobby instead of throwing them away on gambling.

Being born 1991 i remember buying Skyridge & Aquapolis boosters when i was 12 for just a couple of dollars when those came out.
But i was shocked when i finally found a couple of boosters of the Skyridge - Aquapolis & Legendary set, i mean 200 dollar + for one pack of a Skyridge booster pack? And every Crystal Pokemon holo single in that set is absolutely crazy expensive! Same for Legendary boosters that seems impossible to find is also over 100 dollar +. So why are just these sets so damn expensive? I mean not even base set that is the very first set is no way near that pricing yet it came out even earlier then these sets.

6 Likes

Welcome thraxx!
In 2003 the Pokemon franchise hit rock bottom. The Hype was dead. I guess Pokemon also struggled with the competition of other TCGs like Yugioh. So the print run for these sets was rather low. Additionally, at least Skyridge and Aquapolis have become very popular in the last one or two years and the demand is much higher than the supply.
Just in case youā€™re planning to ā€œgambleā€ for Crystals and Holos from Booster packs: youā€™re cheaper off just buying the singles or lots. At this point in time you have to expect every loose booster pack to be weighed, so it wonā€™t contain any Holos.

Cheers!

Edit: smpratte has made some great videos about all these sets if you want more insight: smpratte - Pokemon Skyridge Last WOTC Set - Crystal Charizard - YouTube

3 Likes

last wotc set when the hobby was at its lowest pointā€¦fewer booster boxes etc were printed due to lower demand. Plus it was around the time of the great recession. Plus they are freaking awesome :stuck_out_tongue: some of the crystals are super sexy, and the holos in general are really nice. Plus it was the introduction of the e series style cardsā€¦which have a completely unique look compared to other cards.

Just my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

I fully agree, but Skyridge was rather the closing of the E-Series, wasnā€™t it? I think it was introduced with the VS Series in Japan and with the Expedition Base Set in the rest of the world if I remember correctly.

I believe so yes. Apparently WOTC had allsorts planned before the fall out and change of hands with printing.

There will come a point (it has already been happening) where some items will be unobtainable, due to price or lack of supply due to them being held onto.

On a side note, I do really like the holos form the e series sets. Unfortunately the cards I have from e series and before seem to be played/excellent in most cases. I have started going through my cards to try and clear out alot.

I need to focus on my wants list before it is too late(it already is in the case of some cards unless i go for lower grades).

To the op, I think it would be healthy to direct your gambling money into somethign more constructiveā€¦and Pokemon is a great alternative.I am not saying dont gamble or what to doā€¦that is none of my business! However when I was on the train a year or so ago, a young woman was talking to her friend about coins. He didnt seem to understand or be too bothered at all! When he got off I leaned over and asked her how long she had been collecting(I dabbled in the coin market, mainly sets or rarer mintage circulated/BU). It turned out that she used to gamble on the slots a fair bit, and one day noticed a different looking coin while doing it. That peaked her interest and after researching a bit, she decided to start collecting. So instead of spending a fortune and wasting money on gambling she diverted her interests into coin collecting. Within a year her collection has grown and grown! I saw a few pictures she had of them all laid out in her kitchen. Of course you need to collect the right things, and not only did she love the collecting but as a big bonus the values had shot through the roof. The womans mind set during collcetcing was, if i gamble this Ā£10/Ā£50 then it is gone, but if i dontā€¦I could buy this coin or this collectors set I want. The hobby stopped the gamling addiction and focus shifted to somethign new, exciting, different and of which she became passionate about.

Another completely random ramble :wink: But I guess if you are passionate enough about something, and in it for the fun and not pure monetary gainā€¦a hobby can go a long way.

Maybe start out small, read the fourms, join the discordā€¦and find out more about the hobby you once loved,figure out what you want and where you want to go with Pokemon and purchase some items. See if it is something you want to continue with, and then hopefully it can not only help you with your gamblingā€¦but be part of an amazing community.

If it is purely for the money then interest may not last long. When I got back into it maybe 4 ish years agoā€¦I didnt have a focus i just bought tins, booster boxes and tried to make sets. Then tried to get every single set in order set out in binders. It has gone okā€¦but now I realize I would prfer a far smaller collection of specific items I like or want. Hence why I need to sell alot of cards and things so I can try fund these goals. Although a focus is not essential, I do regret not sitting down and readin up on hereā€¦bulbapediaā€¦and finding my focusā€¦goals and needs from the hobby. Mine lies in the older setsā€¦it took me a while to figure out why I was so excited to collect pokemon again. The old sets, holosā€¦the nostalgia (overused word I knowwww but shhh)I love it! Japanese old promos and wotc sets are what i like and what most people on here deal with I think ha!

I am one of youssss now :grin:

Ramble 2 over! Hope it helped in some way ahaha I kind of strayed away several times.

ENJOY!

1 Like
1 Like

Welcome xx. Congrats on your 3 weeks of abstinence. I was in the gambling business for many years and even though some can do it recreationally, like drinking, others have had it ruin their lives. Keep it up. Iā€™m proud of you:)

6 Likes

This is a very inspirational post. I can relate to this as Iā€™ve also had some gambling issues. Itā€™s just too easy now with online and mobile, you click a few buttons and you can literally lose thousands in a very short time period.

I still gamble, but I have very strict deposit limits that prevent me from repeating the same mistakes I have done in the past. If I double or more, Iā€™ll cash out. If I lose, Iā€™m not able to keep depositing to chase my losses. Itā€™s more recreational now though I should really just put a definitive stop to it.

It is one of the reasons I got back to this hobby as well around September 2017. I enjoy it so much and the community here at efour is the best ever. Thereā€™s nothing that even comes closeā€¦ I feel like each member is treated equally. When I signed up, I fully expected the top collectors/members to be looking down at the newbies, but they actually welcome them and share very valuable knowledge about the hobby.

However, it gets to the point everyone is so nice I actually miss trolls like @lexleo. :grin:
I swear though efour is the place to be. If Scott ever offers a premium efour membership, I sign up in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Thanks bro yeah it feels great being free from the gambling devil finally :blush: Will be fun being part of this forum and begin with this hobby again and hopefully post some good threads later on with my ongoing collection :grin:

Looking back this was super cheap. Now at like 1.5 to 2.3K per pack.

What would the 2022/23 version of this be?