What caused Skyridge box prices to overtake Legendary?

Earlier this year Skyridge was around ~$3,000 while Legendary was at ~$3,500 and considered a holy grail of sorts… Now Legendary seems to have taken a back seat to Skyridge. Collector’s Cache has both on sale, and Skyridge is a $500+ difference.

Obviously supply and demand play a factor, but is there something else that caused the change? Recent auctions for graded cards. etc?

Why is Legendary collection such a holy grail? To me is just another Base Set 2… and those reverse holos look like Chinese knock-off stickers.

On the other hand, Skyridge has one of the most beautiful artworks ever released.

The real question should be “why is Legendary Collection so overrated?”

13 Likes

there are way more high value cards in Skyridge, would only make sense for me if the Skyridge box would be more pricey

Does being the last set to be produced by WOTC have a effect on the value of Skyridge also

I never saw LC as appealing as Skyridge at all… I think LC was just overpriced and Skyridge just needed some time to work it’s way up to its current price lol

The fact that it is the final WOTC set to ever be produced should always give it more value imo. It was probably produced way less and got rushed out to shops before contracts expired. Crystal cards, some of the most beautiful artwork in the TCG and the final WOTC all give it a huge advantage.

Legendary Collection is great and all but as lorenzord mentioned above it is technically Base Set 3 with some over the top reverses.

1 Like

For those who dislike legendary collection that is your own personal opinion and has no reason why skyridge is selling for more. LC is still very sought after and obviously liked by many collectors otherwise the boxes wouldn’t be selling for 3k-4k. With crystal cards selling for more and more lately and not many boxes hitting the market the price is going to go up. LC is typically not a box you are going to buy and open for the price it’s at because the chance of getting enough 10s to pay for itself is slim due to the quality of cards. But I know a few people who have opened skyridge boxes who have had great success grading the cards and got several 10s. So with people wanting to buy to open and people wanting to buy to keep sealed I think makes the demand higher.

4 Likes

last wotc, it was around the world market crash …amazing set…expensive cards such as the crystals and just a beast! There arent many left bruh, get them while they are hot or miss out.

Some great answers here

1 Like

It was not only the last set produced by WOTC, and if i’m not mistaken, the print run was cut short as well as they lost their rights to keep producing. So even less of these boxes were produced and distributed. According to Bulbapedia, there was actually supposed to be 2 more sets released after Skyridge that WOTC had already planned out but were forbidden to release. “Legendary Collection 2” and “Jamboree”… Jamboree was even said to already have had all of it’s promotional boxes, pack arts and box arts completed as well, but was never allowed to hit the markets. Wonder if any of it is still out there somewhere…

Have you ever held one in your hand? The hologram pattern is actually very attractive in my opinion, especially the sunlight. It’s also unique because it’s such a divergence from the regular holo :blush: To each his own, though. Either way, the firework pattern added a new element to the hobby that people of differing tastes could enjoy.

Personally, LC products were harder to find than Skyridge (and they costed more). I can’t say that one is more rare than the other but LC was noticeably less common.

@ccrntrade made a good point about the effect of the Crystals on the value. Otherwise Skyridge might still be in the Expedition sets’ price range.

3 Likes

your first sentence probably needs to be revisited. sounds like you are dethroning one of the most fundamental fact about a market economy. how much people like/think they like something - which creates demand - has very real and tangible effects on the price. of course there are other variables you’ve talked about in regards to quality of cards, etc., but you cannot discount demand/how much people like something.

skyridge is lame and overrated :blush:

Yea how much people like certain sets plays a role in the price. But I don’t think that skyridge passed legendary collection in price because certain people dislike legendary collection.

I think the WOTC era E-reader cards have some of the best artwork ever made on any pokemon cards, ever.

There are probably others that feel that way, and people that really appreciate legendary collection artwork would probably rather have original prints.

3 Likes

Hard to say.

Legendary has the firework zard.

Skyridge has awesome crystals.

Legendary just seems to of always been on ebay, and notable around. So whenever Skyridge is listed people put really high and it just sells, because there is not much to compare to on ebay.

Legendary is niche, it just has a reverse in every pack so that inflates the value quite a bit. Even the odd c/u an fetch a couple hundred dollars in PSA 10.

I asked this before with no answers, but what’s the Crystal pullrate? Are you even guaranteed to get 1 per box?

from what i’ve seen, its 3 crystals average per box, but remember that includes possible reverse crystals

1 Like