Who's the next Charizard in your opinion?

With the recent growth in value of the T17 I figured it be a good time to stop and wonder who the next ‘‘Charizard’’ of the hobby could be in the future?

Obviously no one truly knows but I thought a bit of speculation on such topic could be fun :blush:

For me it would have to be the Gold star rayquaza or typhlosion 17!

Edit: By the next Charizard i meant the next most popular card that we might see rise. Should’ve been more specific my bad

1 Like

The next Charizard is Charizard…

Normally “the next” is one great steps down while another (the next) takes its place. Nothing is the next zard, just some second and third places fought between Blastoise, Rayquaza, Typhlosion probably.

14 Likes

The next PSA 10 Charizard is PSA 9 Charizard. Then 8, then 7, and so on

2 Likes

By “the next Charizard” do you mean the card or Pokemon? Either way, there is no ‘next’ Charizard. Charizard has history/prestige associated with it that can’t be duplicated. Any subsequent ‘Charizard’ would always be second to the original. The same thing goes for the ‘next’ 1st Edition Base Charizard. There are other cards that are and will remain iconic and important to collectors (i.e., Gold Star Rayquaza, 1st Ed. T17, etc.) but there is nothing that will ever supersede the original.

1 Like

Charizard V Max Secret Rare Gold is the next Charizard.

Edit - I’m sure Rayquaza would be just as popular if Pokémon didn’t have such a hard on for Charizard in the TCG. We need more Rayquaza Secret Rare cards and less Charizords!

4 Likes

ask gamefreak…
oh wait they’ll just add mega, bigger, or other forms of charizard.

1 Like

Prequel Pokemon Game where there is a a mix of all the current game locations but slightly different, because the Pokemon world was once like Pangaea was to our world. World is going through a lot of seismic activity and is breaking apart. Mount Moon gets formed from a major Earthquake that happens during the game, that sort of thing.

There are a lot of new Pokemon of course, but there are a lot of proto formes of Pokemon that aren’t quite like the original designs because they are still evolving. Fossil Pokemon aren’t Fossils yet so they don’t have rock type and look different, Rock Pokemon like Geodude maybe have Fire typing because they are still part magma or lava.

Cubone/Marowak don’t have the skull on their heads yet.
Nidoking/Nidoqueen are a proto species that they both split from.
Clefairy/Clefable don’t exist yet, because Mount Moon doesn’t exist yet.
Voltorb/Electrode are still round but do not look like Pokeballs yet.
Slowpoke actually evolves by fishing up a Shelder with Slowpoke first in your party.
Grimer/Muk don’t exist yet because the world isn’t polluted.
Bug Pokemon are generally bigger.
2 new Eeveelution types that have died out.
Bird Trio are all in Proto Formes with different typing.

Why is this relevant in the slightest to this post?

Charizard actually has Dragon typing in this game. That’s the next Charizard.

30 Likes

Can you design the next Pokemon game please? This is legitimately a top tier idea.

8 Likes

Thats actually a brilliant post. Deffinitely should be a thing!

2 Likes

I am sure someone on this forum has a Dad who owns Nintendo, if so get them to hook me up.

5 Likes

I feel like Neo Gen Lugia or Gold Star Ray take the cake after 1st Edition and Shadowless Charizard. I’ve wondered this before as well, but in reality I only see T17 as a grail to PSA 10 collectors. Typhlosion isn’t really that popular as a Pokemon compared to Charizard (take a look at Typhlosion ex vs Charizard ex or Lugia ex).

If Typhlosion was easier to grade I doubt it would be as hyped as it is. Yet Rayquaza and Lugia seem to be sidekicks to Charizard in the TCG (just my way of thinking).

Remember when PSA 8 T17 was a mere $40 while Lugia (Neo Gen) was $100 and Gold Star Rayquaza was several hundred?

1 Like

Charizard cannot be compared to T17. The only reason T17 is so expensive is because it’s hard to grade. Charizard is expensive because it was the first most desirable pokemon. They have different kinds of hype.

If people grew up loving Typhlosion, there are other options like T18, whereas with Charizard we just have the original base set.

PSA 10 first edition lugia. They’re next to unicorns.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the first pokemon I thought of when I saw the title. Lugia was the face of the 2000 movie and a huge hit - a much more iconic mascot for gen 2 than Typhlosion imo

1 Like

All of the points made so far are very valid as there is no ‘replacing’ Charizard, but Lugia & Thyplosion are solid choices for tier 2 Pokemon behind Charizard as far as value! However, as previously stated I don’t think any Pokemon can come close to Charizard in terms of both popularity and value.

It was always be Charizard

1 Like

Red Eyes Black Dragon. Even base zard wants to look like it! And of course Neo Revelation’s Houndoom.

3 Likes

The next Charizard = dblast

1 Like

Did you mean: BGS 10 Shining Tyranitar

1 Like

I always thought of 1st ed neo Lugia as the next one. The pop is low enough and the popularity is there, I also can’t forget about how good the card art is.

2 Likes