Do you think Charizard could be dethroned?

As the title says. What’s your opinion on this? Could it happen? What would it take? Would it have to be another starter? And what do you think are the reasons Zard became the monster product pusher he is today?

2 Likes

I doubt it. He’s simply too big of a part of the Pokémon story and history at this point. Even people who may not necessarily collect Pokémon cards or have much idea about it, recognize who Charizard is more often than not. He’s simply an icon, much like any other major character in a story or TV show or anything else in pop culture.

Now, I do think it’s possible that after many years he may become not quite as popular as he was in the past 20 years or so. But the idea that he could be replaced or succeeded in any sense, I feel is highly unlikely. There’s over a 1000 Pokémon now, and he fits into the world of Pokémon just as good as he did when he was released. I feel this is not the case with many other Pokémon, and so I think Charizard will always remain special to Pokémon fans across generations to come, and as long as Pokémon remains relevant.

14 Likes

no.

10 Likes

Charizard will be dethroned when all of us boomers pass away and the only Pokemon fans left are those that grew up with XY and Greninja.

7 Likes

Greninja was the closest thing to doing it. But I think its near impossible for any Pokémon to reach the saturation on Charizard and Pikachu in everything. They are icons.

3 Likes

As much as I think Blastoise is the true king of the north, charizard is already locked in. He is just such a solid design too.

12 Likes

Lmao, the boomers passed it onto the millennials already.

1 Like

Most well known Pokemon? Pikachu :white_check_mark:
Most expensive cards? Pikachu :white_check_mark:
Pokemon with most # of cards? Pikachu :white_check_mark:

Charizord who?

23 Likes

I don’t think it will ever happen but the closest thing I can think of would be another fire-breathing, simple, red or black dragon with the ultimate chase card and a feisty personality that rivals the Charizard in the anime. Think Wargreymon vs Blackwargreymon.

1 Like

As badly as I want it, Charizard will never be dethroned.

3 Likes

As @pfm already stated, Pikachu is actually the most popular and recognizable Pokemon and I don’t even think it’s particularly close. The mascot of Pokemon is Pikachu. Ash’s primary Pokemon is Pikachu. The most valuable card in the hobby is of Pikachu. The average 50 or 60-year-old would probably even know who Pikachu is.

Charizard is the second-most popular Pokemon, but Pikachu is No. 1 in a runaway.

As for another Pokemon going for the top spot? The chances of that happening are slim to none. There are over 1,000 Pokemon now, many of which have been completely forgotten because things have gotten so saturated. If it was going to happen, it would have happened in Generation 2 or possibly Generation 3. But now? I think we are past the point of no return. Even incredibly popular “newer” Pokemon such as Lucario and Greninja can’t even touch Pikachu or Charizard on a grand scale.

9 Likes

Charizard will never get dethroned, but there are plenty of other pokemon that can be thrown onto the pedestal imo :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My Nan knows Pikachu but she doesn’t know Charizard.

12 Likes

impossible

They will milk Charizard till the end of times.

I recently saw a “best pokemon” poll with 16k votes between charizard and rayquaza, and rayquaza won with like 60%. That was nice, but its like changing yugiohs blue eyes white dragon mascot to buster blader, its too late in the franchise to change that.

1 Like

I think a better question would be, what new Pokemon, if any, can sell a set?

Pokemon have recycled their headliners every generation, and it doesn’t make sense that despite Pokemon getting more popular and the new games selling more, that Rayquaza from Gen 3 is the latest Pokemon that gets people excited.

For reference, it seems to be Charizard, Eeveelutions, Lugia and Rayquaza mainly. Then there’s a second tier of Gengar, Gyarados, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Lucario, Blastoise, Venusaur and Blaziken.

I get that the starters may not be that popular for older fans but the kids seem to love them and yet starters are mostly ignored by TPC after their generation is over.

1 Like

Fitting statement with that card as your profile picture!

1 Like

Pikachu already dethroned zard , even the recent anime solidified this.

4 Likes

Despite my user name I will agree with others. Pikachu is the most recognizable Pokémon out there. He is the mascot of Pokémon. Now charizard is definitely number two. I think the closest a Pokémon has come to touching those two was greninja but that’s it.

1 Like