The future of the Gold Star Charizard PSA 10 [2024 update]

The Gold Star Charizard is now a vintage card. We’ve seen recent sales of around 3600 and some last year closer to 5000. What do you think the future of this card is? It’s probably in the top 3 in terms of popularity, it’s a low population and great artwork. Can it follow alongside 1st Edition Base and continue to rise?

1 Like

It’s dropped below $4k so I think now is a good time to buy. I don’t see it dropping much further, but I also don’t see it rising a ton. I’d predict incremental growth over the years.

If you want 1st edition base growth, then buy 1st edition base. The Charizard has doubled in price while almost every other set card has declined.

4 Likes

I think Gold Star Charizard is going to graduate from High School with honours, attend Yale, work for a S&P 500 company in a middle management level before leaving to pursue it’s passion in hardcore rollerderby at age 32.

16 Likes

Its not really vintage, and its not even the first shiny variant of the card. Its rare yes but its not wotc era so it is mostly banking off rarity alone.

I got lucky and was able to grade a PSA 10 copy around two years ago, ended up selling it for $4500 last summer which I was very happy with. A few months before I sold there were some sales even higher, in the 5-6k range. I think that gold stars in general are great cards, but people need to be careful with their monetary predictions, and keep in mind the greater Pokemon market in general. As a rule of thumb, the limited release, non-set cards will always be a stronger investment and be worth more than set cards. You can get a new trophy card for $6-8k (if you’ve got the connections), so having a set-based card that reaches that threshold really doesn’t make sense, and if it gets close you’ll know it’s bound for a correction as happened last year.

Now this is not to say that the limited-release cards won’t increase in value (they’re doing so continuously) and I’m sure that the gold stars will continue to follow suit. But just keep in mind what other cards are selling for, the prices of gold stars will always be contingent on what’s going on in the outside market.

6 Likes

Nobody differentiated between English and Japanese. What’s the feeling about Jpn GS Charizards?

Beyond all that already said I would like to ask a simple but complex question. How many people in the pokemon world would like to have all the charizard from the base set to the gold star in psa 10? I think thousands. Of course there are difficult economic times, young boys, bubble, speculation, etc. etc… But I think the answer is only one about these cards: :arrow_up:

There really aren’t thousands of potential buyers for PSA 10 copies of these higher end cards. Most collectors are more than happy with a lower and more affordable grade.

That being said, I think there’s obviously room for growth. I think it could potentially be a $10k card some day.

Today there aren’t yes. But in the future sure for me! Anyway i agree with you about future potential value :blush:

@fourthstartcg really hit it on the head. When you’re talking about spending $5k+, you’re getting in the range of limited release cards. Are you going to spend that money on a set card with thousands of copies or a limited release card with say 20 copies in existence?

People definitely want a PSA 10 gold star Charizard, but with that amount of capital, you have many other attractive options.

4 Likes

I think you confuse cards set and cards trophies. They are two different galaxies, different markets and different supply numbers, etc… But it’s just my opinion.

@marco that’s exactly what I’m saying. I love Charizard, but with $5k, I’m buying a rare card and not a gold star Charizard.

1 Like

Yes but the point is: you, me and this forum ib general is a little part of the market! Anyway with 5k you can buy a prize card not a trophy card. Trophy card is around 10k+.

Exactly. I think what demand there is for rare set-based cards like the gold stars has been balanced out with their rise in prices.

To respond to @marco, I think you’d have tons of people interested at 1-2k, but once you’re getting into the 4-5k range that’s pricing out the vast majority of collectors and limiting the market to very serious ones. Those very serious collectors are likely to have knowledge of the market and be aware of better places to put their capital. I think that’s what’s contributed to the recent fall in prices. Demographic factors as you mention are strong predictors, but people who grew up with the EX series (my age) are still in their early 20s. That suggests the demographic rise has not hit, and we see this with other EX series cards. I consistently pick up PSA 10 EX series holos for $25 and EX cards for $50-75. That’s cheap. Gold stars, however, are miles above the other cards. I think this is attributable to other collectors coming in and raising the prices. Whether or not the demographic rise will affect the gold stars the way I anticipate it will affect the rest of the EX series in 7-10 years remains to be seen.

Of course, as I previously stated there’s certainly room for gold stars to increase in value, but their increase should be measured alongside what you can do with the price of one.

2 Likes

In my opinion we are forgetting that it is the 5th most expensive card set:
1)charizard 1 ed psa 10
2)charizard shadowless psa 10
3)rayquaza gold star psa 10
4)blastoise 1 ed psa 10
4)charizard gold star psa 10.
I think the the top most value card set go up in value all time. (ps: I love trophy also).

1 Like

Why not buy what you like? Why settle for a rarer card who’s only attraction is that it’s rarer…especially if it’s a foreign card.

5 Likes

@garyis2000 I always agree with buying what you like. However, the OP was asking about growth in price and with $5k there are definitely other attractive options with less risk for saturation.

1 Like

I don’t think the op even mentioned any other card besides a 1st Base. The only way a card becomes saturated is if the supply exceeds the demand. If the GS Char becomes “saturated” then all cards, even the rarer cards, are history.

1 Like

Ethan’s responses is the answer. If this topic were, “I like charizard gold star” then of course simply buy what you enjoy. But if you are asking will any set card at this point have exponential growth in the short term, no.

I have one of the largest positions of 1st Ed Base in the hobby, and I’m not going to pretend for a second it’s growing right now. People really need to understand what rarity actually means. Because something is “vintage” doesn’t inherently make it rare. One of the biggest fallacies in the hobby is everyone compares every set card to 1st Ed Base zard. Base zard isn’t rare, it’s iconic. It’s also the exception. These cards are driven primarily by popularity, not rarity. They will always be available.

If my message isn’t clear enough: rarity is the investment vehicle. Not because it’s the most popular, because it has the lowest risk of saturation and highest difficult of acquisition. Sure not every rare card grows, but the ratio of growth for actual rare cards is astronomical compared to the ratio of growth for set cards.

3 Likes

What you say is right. But I don’t agree on one thing. We cannot reduce everything to pikachu illustrator trainer 1 master key and snap starter. Of course these cards are probably the best investment, but I believe that in a principle of diversification a charizard gold star psa 10 is not bad for us. Then if one has only 5k to spend. Be buy another ok. If one has 200k to spend in pokemon a gold star charizard psa 10 I don’t think it’s wrong. I think the global budget is the important factor also. You are agree?