Who owns the oldest PSA graded Pokémon card?

I don’t mean age of the card, but the lowest serial number. Just curious if anyone here has the first graded Pokémon card.

Unless the serial numbers don’t work like that, in which case, worst question ever!

4 Likes

Inb4Gary xD

01839022 is my lowest.

9 Likes

Most my cards are in storage but this may be the oldest Japanese card I had handy. I graded this myself. If I find an older English I’ll post it,

12 Likes

Nice! So how do the serial numbers work? 01 designates Pokemon? Other numbers the set? Cos those numbers are already huge…so I don’t see it starting at 01000… right?

Anyone correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know PSA grading started at 00000001 and just went upwards, regardless of which TCG or card gets graded. I think some old Baseball card got the nr. 1 and is worth so much more just for that grading number alone than the same card graded with a higher number.

So I’m also interested in your question as to what the lowest graded Pokémon card is (as in: the first Pokémon card ever graded with PSA), but the number itself doesn’t have any special meaning for what I know.

@garyis2000 @smpratte Correct me if I’m wrong, please. I’ve only graded once and don’t know that much about it (except for what I’ve read here on the forum), but you are some of the experts when it comes to PSA-grading here.

Greetz,
Quuador

Right…,

So this is how we get the 10’s out in population that really aren’t …

?

No idea what you’re talking about?

I think he means “this is how pop reports don’t accurately reflect the availability of some cards”, in reference to your lucky stadium, because some people will grade a card and hoard it in a collection for a couple decades such as yourself, effectively removing it from the market.

Oh, ic

Well, if that’s the case, then I could blow up those reports lol.

1 Like

I have this really old graded Shadowless Blastoise… it’s not even labeled as shadowless! I want to get it recased, but, at the same time, it’s a piece of history. I have not idea what year this card was graded as I bought it off an individual who had no idea of the difference between shadowless and regular unlimited.

8 Likes

Nice card!

IMO, i’d get that recased since the newer cases are much sturdier and have a few security features that generally make them more appealing to more recent collectors. There were many instances in the past where old PSA slabs were being replicated and the cards inside being sold as legit PSA 10 cards with no way to verify the cert number since the fake “cert” was just a print out (which is why you’ll see some sellers block out the cert number/barcode on some of these older PSA slabs).

Do you have any evidence of this claim? A Google search shows a suspicious Michael Jordan card but I have a hard time believing someone would go through the trouble of replicating and old psa case for a card that is worth less than $50k

No evidence, and it’s not a “claim” more than merely just stories I have heard over the years.

People used to be paranoid of fake but official-looking PSA slabs many years ago with printed certs. It would have been hard to “verify” a card since looking up a duplicated cert would bring it up on PSAs website but you wouldn’t know that you were holding a duplicate copy since it would have the exact same printed cert number (since there was no hologram or today’s ink tech in the certs back then). I really don’t think it would have taken much effort to get away with a PSA-looking old plastic slab back then.

It didn’t take long for PSA to get away from the really old slabs and I don’t believe it became any sort of a major issue, i’m just sharing what I have heard and why people would block out cert numbers from the older slabs from time to time (some sellers still do that to this day).

I think this is my oldest. Cute little pikachu.

3 Likes

You said that there were many instances where slabs were being replicated and sold. I’d say this is qualifies as a claim (a very strong one too) but I’m not too interested in arguing the semantics; I’ll leave that for other users to do.

Anyway, the reason I ask for evidence is that it really matters in this case whether or not your claim is correct. If you’re right and it is trivial to replicate old cases then maybe I should consider recasing a lot of my cards and will be less likely to buy old cases in the future. If no one is going around replicating cases then you’re needless doing damage to the value of these cards and giving poor advice to people asking if they should recase their old cards.

I’m not trying to be rude here, I genuinely want to know if there are known cases where the entire psa case has been replicated. And if there isn’t I’d prefer not having misinformation floating around.

On a side note to anyone that blocks their cert number… don’t assume that you’re protected by doing this.

Eh, you’re taking this entirely too seriously if you think i’m trying to “misinform” or “do damage” by mentioning stories I have heard…I never said this was verifiable by any means or that I had proof.

I too have many old slabs that don’t have a hologram that I don’t care to reslab, including Gold Stars, but me mentioning the rationale behind why people cover up cert numbers and why PSA changed their cert security to include a hologram/qr code, etc., should have zero impact on the market or how people value cards…i’m not the first to mention this or think out loud and I won’t be the last, but it can’t be argued against that newer slabs are a much better option than first gen slabs if someone had the choice or money to switch over…if they weren’t, why would PSA change their slab and cert design at all? Added security is always better, this really should go without saying (i’ll be reslabbing all my Gold Stars eventually, too).

Total bunk lol. Don’t spread these ridiculous lies.