The first ever pokemon card that was graded by psa

With all the expert knowledge on here I wonder if anyone knows and if not maybe post your lowest cert and we can try to work it out by brute force calculation lol. Was it a 1st edition base set charizard or did something else beat that.

Now this is an interesting exercise. I didnā€™t start grading til 2 years ago so mine newer.

I will say I wonā€™t buy anything with cert below 4 and I prefer 5 or higher. PSA just graded much more lenient back in the day haha.

Iā€™ve seent some 1ā€™s sold of zards. Not sure if 0ā€™s.

Post some old stuff yā€™all this will be fun

1 Like

Back around the year 2000, Gary graded a stack of Japanese CD promo cards and sold them on the ā€œShopping Networkā€. Those card had like serial numbers starting with 01xxx. That was my first sign of people grading Pokemon cards.

5 Likes

@garyis2000 Your time to shine on this one

2 Likes

Yeah the Jpn promos were first. I donā€™t recall which specifically I listed first on the submission though. Something makes me think Blastoise cause I may have gone alphabetically?

3 Likes

Cool as hell that you remember, though. What made you want to grade them that early on? Offhand, what do you think is your ā€˜youngestā€™ card cert-wise?

1 Like

These are early certs :blush:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWxEHTGYRbM

8 Likes

Talk about cause and causality lol. That vid was awesome so thought Iā€™d check them out on ebay and first one that came up was only this card lol. Check the cert of thisā€¦ ebay.us/K9HoyK

Just suddenly thought Iā€™d see if they were selling any others and yep 4 old certs. This is the the lowest of the 4ā€¦ ebay.us/lOXiwj

That neo premium set is extremely rare Iā€™m surprised they were able to grade so many for the shopping network. According to Goldin the odds anyone else would put a set of these together themselves where every single solitary card is a gem mint 10 is about 1 in 100 billion.

2 Likes

blog.psacard.com/2019/10/24/psa-is-fast-approaching-another-significant-milestone-1-millionth-graded-pokemon-card/ Skip past the competition bit it tells you there were 11 pokemon cards in the first ever psa pokemon submission in mid-1999 and a bit more about the growth rate.

1 Like

Was that your 11 card sub? (See message above this message)

That is pretty cool! The CD set consists of 11 cards, so that would likely be a complete CD set (or complete coincidence).
Nice to read the actual first submission!

2 Likes

I do own the following Blastoise, I ll be honored if it was one of your first submissionā€¦ clearly it will have a ā€œkingā€ place among my japanese vintage collectibles due to its historical meaning.

imgur.com/a/3bOkZqO

1 Like

Surely they were just lucky and nothing else at all is going on there.

1 Like