Which trophy would you choose

Eyeing up my next purchase, curious to see which is more popular here in e4. Both non holo, same era old back trophies, similar price (i think)

• Unikarp
  • Tropical wind

0 voters

I voted the Wind but I’m biased as I really like all the world promo’s.
Getting much harder to find but at least more obtainable compared to the 2001 :smiley: !

3 Likes

I voted the Unikarp but I’m biased as I really like all the Magikarp cards

But in all seriousness if I had the money I would buy Tropical Wind so fast. So picking either of them is super solid pick imo.

4 Likes

Not only do I prefer it over Unikarp, but 1999 Tropical Wind may be my favorite Japanese card.

2 Likes

I voted unikarp but only because this is a single card. If you have a tropical wind collection going, that could tip the scales. The unikarp is such a great self-contained story card though.

2 Likes

Had to go for Unikarp. The history behind it is genuinely fascinating and something I wish I could have experienced as a kid.

5 Likes

I voted Tropical Wind TMB, it’s one of my favorite cards.

1 Like

Unikarp has one of the coolest marketing campaigns of all-time tied to it so that gets my vote.

I wish during the 90s Poke-boom in the West we had some sort of equivalent. Tons of the advertising here did a great job making Pokemon feel like actual, real-life creatures that you wanted to catch, battle, and bond with. The Tamamushi University campaign would’ve been the cherry on top.

5 Likes

Tropical wind. Inspiring a whole collection of world promos is such a large feat off of something that started off with just a single card. Unikarp is a trophy of good value, but doesn’t seem to extend past the event itself but maintains historic value

3 Likes

Unikarp artwork being reprinted in the Japanese Web series makes it so much less interesting. Karpologists don’t want to hear this but it’s the truth.

5 Likes

Unikarp for me.

I love the event and its focus on education/personal growth.

4 Likes

I agree with you that it would be more unique without Web versio and since Tamamushi competition itself is such a banger. Web Karp is affordable versio of a Unikarp which is good stuff for a lot of people who just want to enjoy the Unikarp art for reasonable price.

E: Do I think Web Karp takes away or lessers Unikarp? No, I think it adds the affordability to a awesome card. If 1999 Tropical Wind had exact art printed with Web Series I would hands down own it and I wish it would have a cheaper versio of it.

1 Like

Intersting take that a reprint makes the original less interesting. Do you think the same of the Play umberon being reprinted for 25th anniversary?

I do yeah. Cards like this are obviously important and iconic if they’re being reprinted but not having the “unique artwork” property inherently makes them less interesting.

2 Likes

Unikarp all my life.
Real meaning aside, being the weakest possible creature and surprise everyone with such a powerful move and will to be stronger, getting close to a monster without being one.
Unikarp is just Gatsu from Berserk. Gotta love him.

3 Likes

Easy peasy :palm_tree::hibiscus:

I’d probably default to the wind, as that was technically my first trophy purchase. But both are S tier! They completely capture what Pokémon cards are all about! :desert_island: :tropical_fish:

8 Likes

I absolutely love the unikarp, god please allow me to win the lottery so i can get one some day

3 Likes

Wind. To me, it feels like it has more history and TCG significance behind it if that makes sense

1 Like

Unikarp only because magikarp is my fourth favorite Pokémon

1 Like