UniKarp v FanClub Karp

How much more desirable/rare/scarce is the UniKarp in comparison to the FanClub Karp and how would people rate them?

I would guess that there are a lot fewer UniKarp’s compared to Fan club ones. Over the past two years of looking for higher profile cards the karp was pretty difficult for me to find at all. Right now there seems to be a decent saturation of them with one on buyee and like 3 or 4 on ebay. crazy how they all come out at once

Yeah, as was already mentioned, the Unikarp is far more rare, and unlike other japanese cards, was one of the few that happened to be made innately poor. This, tagged along with the context and limitations of its release and recipients, makes it one of the most infamous cards to find in mint condition. Not only that, because the Unikarp is considered a trophy card, moreover than a reward card like the Fan Club Karp, the former’s price range is far steeper.

In regards to exact production numbers, I believe I read that there were 2000 Unikarps produced, but I know for a fact not even a fraction of that number were given out, and the number of listings of separate cases can support that notion. The Fan Club is closer to that number, I believe, but I cant be sure of the exact amount. Personally, I love both, but the Unikarp takes the top spot over all other cards in my heart lol.

Really wish they made a Shining Gyarados with the same holo format as the Fan Club, though haha

1 Like

I feel as though that while although the UniKarp may be rarer than the FanClub it currently has a higher prevalence on the market or at least they are very similar. I’m not sure whether to look into purchasing one or not and whether their price will increase any further :confused:

I would assume both of them will continue to raise in price, as theyre both reward/trophy cards. Ive seen more consistent listings of the Unikarp, but its because they are almost always the same card being resold in moderate time proximity. With the Fan Club, they are more often different copies

Ignore value and buy the one you like the most.

2 Likes

I’m usually not a fan of people who just parrot, “buy what you like!!! xDxDxddd”

but in this cases I really would say buy which one you like more. their price rangers are pretty similar if you aren’t going for a phenominal mint unikarp, and I can tell you at least from my experience it is much more rare for the unikarp to come up. it is actually pretty crazy to me how many are available to purchase right now, as I am used to none

I can see where you’re coming from. I personally take preference with the Shining over the UniKarp due to my love of shinings. I must admit though that if the UniKarp received the shiny form then I would prefer that as I think that the artwork is ever so slightly nicer. I do desire having both though, however the Shining I’d eventually want in PSA 10 whereas I don’t care as much with the Unikarp.

As you also said, I’ve love a matching set of the Gyarados and Magikarp with their neo4(FanClub) variant shinings.

Just buy what you like fazool.

XDxDxFCXdxdxx

1 Like

It’s kind of funny actually that all the ones I’ve seen listed so far appear relatively mint-like… I’d have to dig out of the bank for that kind of card though so we’ll see where we end up. Perhaps a PSA 6-8 for the Uni and a PSA 10 for the Shining is what I should be looking towards

something to note is that if you aren’t interested in the exact cards you can always go for the web magikarp and the normal shining karp =p very cheap alternatives comparatively, but obviously if the fan club and uni are your big dream chase cards you have to go for those

are you making a pass at me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

i was actually going to talk about wanting a shiny version of the Unikarp haha. If youd like that, then i got a surprise for you lol

2 Likes

Alongside Japanese trophy cards they are my big dream chase cards :heart_eyes:

What on Earth is going on with that card??? :grin:

I love it!

Its totally legit. Definitely not custom-made. Only the top Magikarp speedrunners were able to get them in 1996 lol

No, I had a good friend whos a damn pro at making cards work his ass off to make me a one-off of this GS Magikarp, along with a bunch of other trades and goodies haha

That’s pretty cool I guess. If only it could be made into a real thing though

1 Like

www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-Pokemon-card-1998-TAMAMUSHI-UNIVERSITY-MAGIKARP-PRIZE-PSA-5-EXCELLENT-/142344003150?hash=item21245d1e4e:g:QZAAAOSwU8hY64dr

Would everyone agree the card looks authentic? Not fake, etc… I’m just confused why PSA 5 is specified in the listing title when the card looks mint in photos

Good find! I remember seeing this awhile ago. Pretty sure it was relisted from noppin. Theres a bit of wear in the bottom corner, and theyre not showing the top, really. So im not sure, but it could easily be a translation from their condition rating in japanese as ‘Excellent’, which is the rating for PSA 5.

Just a correction, the advertised distribution number for Unikarp is 1000.

3 Likes

Thats what it was. Yes, i was referring to that post haha. But yeah, still way more than i guarantee actually have or will pop up, or even actually given out