Which sets/cards do you think hold value the best?

Hey everyone, I’ve made some awesome progress in my Alakazam collection and was considering widening the scope a little bit to include other high end cards from Wizards of the Coast and maybe some of the rarer Japanese stuff.

However, unlike the Alakazam collection which I never plan to resell (and don’t mind overpaying for), I feel like buying some other high dollar cards is both part collection and investment.

For English sets, I’ve considered going after graded 1st edition base set holos (I only have GEM MINT copies of Alakazam).

My favorite English sets as a whole are Team Rocket, Both Gym heroes/challenge, and Neo Genesis. As for rare Japanese cards, the only one I’m considering buying is the trophy Kangaskhan. I really dislike trainer cards so actually having a pokemon as the picture is a huge plus for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, with all that being said I’ll refer to my thread title - Which sets/cards do you think hold value the best?

Don’t wanna state the obvious but best to get it out of the way, 1st edition base set is only going UP

1 Like

As an investment you need a set/card where it’s rare enough that you can dictate the market. Honestly, 1st edition base isn’t the answer, 1st edition PSA 10 base could be.

As far as pure investment goes it’s even smaller, PSA 10 1st edition Charizard and Pre 2003 Trophy cards imo.

The best answer is skip the cards and go into stocks.

2 Likes

Definitely true. I’m not looking to make money per se, just possibly breaking even / going a little negative.

The cards themselves have an inherent value to me regardless of the dollar tag, like you said stocks would be something better for money but I don’t get any satisfaction from the stocks themselves!

1st edition base set was aimed at ‘Which sets/cards do you think hold value the best?’, not necessarily cards best for investment

edit; some WOTC era booster packs and boxes can be picked up for cheap at the moment, a solid investment as far as pokemon goes

Neo 3/4 shining cards have really strong buyer base imo. Also Neo sets have been on the rise for many years.

1 Like

That’s easy, non TCG cards. They end up costing so little it’s really hard to lose value on something that doesn’t have a lot of value in the first place. :wink:

You’ll be good with any of the 1st/2nd gen sets keep them nice looking and you’ll have a market for them, if I’m wrong and there isn’t a market you don’t loose a lot. If you want to get something more challenging go for the 1st editions, there’s also a higher potential for a money return, if you’d rather keep it safe go for unlimited.

Really the only thing you need to do is make sure the cards are kept mint.

1st Ed base Rares…

3 Likes

Similar question along the same lines, but where does everyone think 1st edition base set will be in 10 years; 50 years? I mean surely it can’t increase at the same rate as it has forever. 100 years from now I can’t see a base set 1st edition charizard being worth like $500,000 as likely Pokemon will be a distant memory.

Withdrawl your funds in the form of cash and keep it under your matress, then you will def break even and wont lose anything in the form of value. Either way when the day comes that “money” is no factor both of them will be worth nothing!

Except you know, inflation. Anyone who did this in 1964 with their quarters and dimes instead of dollar bills didn’t make out so bad though. (in the United States coinage was 90% silver which has held its purchasing power reasonably well. A silver dime today is worth over a buck in silver content. peaked at about 3 bucks in 2011)

It feels like to an extent Pokemon cards are going a bit into “bubble” territory at this point, but its hard to say at the same time. As there are only a finite amount of cards out there and with sealed product especially there is less and less every day. Hard tellin’ not knowin’.

Have there been many times in the past 15-20 years that cards like the 1st edition charizard or things like the 1st edition booster boxes (even unlimited base for that matter) have actually gone down in value for any period of time? @garyis2000 Having only been back in it for a year and a half or so it has only been up from what I see.

yea but im not going to rely on someone else to keep my money safe. Lets see, lets ask all those people that lost 1000s when the money market fell in a hole all those years ago. Its another topic but finances should be taught in lower schooling rather than as a specific endeavor as tertiary education amd relying on someone else to do it for you.

Either way, I have some sealed booster boxes rather than money in the bank. If I get $140 for a box in 15 years time that I payed 90 bucks for now ive still beaten the banks pissy interest rate on my lowly savings account.

Sealed product would be the way to go opposing cash rather than any banking investment.

1 Like