Three Best TCG Pokemon Investments

UPCCC is a “Collectors” website. The U gives us the opportunity to personalize the process. It’s a place we can go to give and receive information. Somewhere you can socialize with people who share a common interest.
If you’re not sure which direction you want your collection to go in…you discuss it here because there’s a wide range of varied interests.

Sometimes you get restless and want to change your focus. You may complete a goal and want a new challenge. Life may throw you a curve that requires you to liquidate.
Those and several other reasons may suddenly make the VALUE of your collection important which brings us to the point of this thread…

In your opinion, what is the best TCG Poke Investment and why? 10 years from now what are we going to point to and say, “Dang…why didn’t I collect those. I could’ve paid off my school loans:(”

Let’s all pick three with our top pick listed first.

REMEMBER: 10 years from now we’re going to be able to look back on this thread to see how smart (or stupid) we all were:)

2 Likes

It’s probably the most silly and obvious answer but it has to be the base boxes of all variants. There are going to be so many more people like me who are early 20-somethings who just started to earn proper money for the first time and the prices for these will go through the roof in my opinion due to popular demand and the new-found wealth of the kids who originally collected these cards, coupled with the fact that they only get rarer with time so supply also continuously goes down.

Basically anything to do with Base, IMO.

Edit: Should make a top 3 list.

1. Base Boxes (all English variations)

2. PSA 9 & 10 1st Ed Base Holo’s

3. Neo Boxes

1 Like

If prices stay high for PSA 10 Charizards then I would think Flashfire will be the set to rise significantly.

1 Like

If it’s pure investment then I’d want the highest percentage on my return the answer is clear
1st edition charizard base
Shadowless charizard base
Unlimited charizard base

I’m going to go with…

1. Shadowless Base! They have the lowest production number of all ‘non error’ sets plus you can’t fake them. You can always add a stamp to a shadowless card to fake a 1st Ed but not vice versa.

2. PSA 10 Graded 1st Ed Jungle and No Symbols.

3. WOTC Shinings

Had you said this 5 years ago you would have been dead on. Maybe 10 years from now it’ll still be true?

Original era trophy cards
1st Ed Base graded cards
Very rare promos/difficult to grade cards: masaki, players promos, shining cards, some gold stars. Basically cards with lower distribution.

2 Likes
  1. 1st ed. shadowless Base set cards. Classics never die.

2. practically speaking any sealed booster box from wotc/ex-series era.

3. PSA 10 holos/shinings from Neo series

1. the rest of the WOTC booster boxes that you can still get for cheap

I really think base 1st and shadowless have peaked

1 Like
  1. Wizards of the Coast, Base Set Boxes
  2. Rarer Japanese Promo Cards - Such as Pokemon Illustrator, No. 1, 2 & 3 Trophies etc.
  3. Some of the “lesser tier” items - Shinings, Gold Stars, Masaki Promos, Illustration Sets (Zorua & Arceus) etc.
1 Like
  1. 1st Edition Shadowless Base set cards
  2. Early WOTC English booster boxes like base set, jungle, fossil and Team Rocket
  3. i dunno but for some reason i’m thinking the Korean and Chinese Base Set cards
1 Like

I don’t collect anything from WOTC so I’m intentionally leaving anything from them out of my list. Not to say I don’t believe they won’t rise in value, but I just don’t have enough experience with those cards to give a good opinion.

1. Rare Promos (Japanese especially): Stuff like the Rayquaza/Giratina Lottery promos, PLAY Gold Stars, L-P lottery promos, and others are already insanely expensive and were released relatively not too long ago. Even common stuff like the Pokemon Center Shiny M Gengar EX has seen a decent price increase lately. I purchased a few of the Gengars at around $9 each when they came out, and recently sold a couple unsealed mint copies for $20. I think that as time goes on and it gets harder to find mint copies of these promos, the prices will skyrocket, especially for sealed ones.

2. (Don’t hate @garyis2000) Gold Stars: I have seen a sizable price increase in Gold Stars lately, and it looks like the trend will continue. Certain ones may have secret hoards, etc., etc., but gold stars are 1) Extremely recognizable, 2) Very tough to pull (1/2.5 boxes, WAY harder than WOTC shinings), and 3) Unique. I think they will continue to rise in price, with PSA graded ones rising even faster.

3. PSA 10 English Full Arts: The boom for Flashfire seems to be decreasing as more people are realizing how insane the payoff is to get a PSA 10 M Charizard EX Secret Rare, and thus grading more, getting more 10s, and driving down the price. I forecast a big drop in prices for PSA 10 MegaZards from Flashfire, before rising again, but never back to the $1000/card mark. However, I think PSA 10 Full Arts will hold their value well. It’s very hard to get a PSA 10 English FA, and recognizable ones with low populations (Charizard, Rayquaza, etc.) should maintain their high value and rise over the years.

1. WOTC Booster Boxes. They have been decreasing in number for years now. Also, people are paying more for experiences now than ever. Opening a 15+ Year old box of cards is one of those experiences a lot of us crave.

2. Older Japanese Promos. A lot of people want mint copies of these. Cards like Masaki promos will stay valuable.

3)Shadowless Base. I have to agree these are underrated and have lower PSA pop numbers than their 1st ed counterparts.

In the last 5 years… I’ve already gone dang! why did I get rid of that item for… quite a number of times… but my list for what I wish I had, and know will go up crazy is:

1. Older Japanese Trophy / key promo cards - Trophy Khan, Uni-karp, Illustrator etc…
  2. Sealed Japanese EX generation booster boxes
  3. Sealed WOTC booster boxes

It doesn’t have to be something you collect. Just something you think will rise in value. Several people picked the illustrator et all but not many have that card;)

Same here, there’s lots of other stuff I prefer before 1st ed. Base set holos etc. but I still have no problems saying they will command market prices long term.

I’ve been telling people to get on shadowless base set cards for ages, they are very under valued in my opinion

I believe the cheaper wotc booster packs and boxes could easily double in price as well

2 Likes

I have the opportunity to buy a set of three sealed/unopened base set shadowless booster packs, one of each design (charizard, blastoise, venusaur) for £50 each (around $75? Not sure). Or all 3 for £140. Is this good value? They are the only single packs that I can find that are shadowless that don’t seem ridiculously priced. Also would it be wise to get them PSA graded?

It’s not bad, not perfect. I bought a shadowless blister pack for around £40 a month or so ago. It depends entirely on what your objective is with them. Personally the only packs I would get graded are 1st Edition Base ones, but that’s just me.

Shadowless cards are underrated for sure. They were the only cards to feature that template. I think they will always be eclipsed by the 1st edition cards. Perhaps one day they could become truly shadowless. :sunglasses:

2 Likes