Which Pokemon Gameboy game is your favorite any why?

I had chance to play original Red/Blue/Yellow games owned by my friends but only when Crystal was released I bought my own GBA. It’s simply an epic adventure with some nice extra features compared to Gold/Silver. :blush:

2 Likes

It all started with the Classic blue game-boy and Pokemon Blue for me. I remember getting the system and game separately, but they were inseparable when they met! I remember exactly were my charmeleon evolved into Charizard too. It was a wedding in the backyard of an aunts house. I ran over to the candle at the side table just to see what it looked like. I didn’t have my fancy bracket-like gameboy light yet.

:blush:

For content gotta go with gold version! It was a surprise late night gift and I was so happy my parents let me stay up a whole 15min before bed to get a taste. Went on to train up a Lv.100 Feraligatr and cloned him till the game crashed. Save game, deposit into box, turn off as the “do not turn off console” is texting across. 1…2…and…POOF! Cloned yourself a Pokemon!

2 Likes

Yellow and Emerald

2 Likes

Pokémon Red. Bought it saving all my birthday money, paper route money and any cash I could get together a few weeks after its release in the Netherlands. It was the first video game I ever bought in the store at full price. Usually I would wait for them to go on sale, holiday promotions, rental stores, and flea markets because budgets were small. Luckily I didn’t had to buy a Gameboy, because my parents bought one a year before (second hand) for us to play in the car going on vacation.

I still have that Gameboy, I still have MY copy of Pokémon Red, with it’s heavy read manual. But I think by now the battery is dead, so I am pretty sure I lost my team.

1 Like

So many people here saying the Gen 2 games. I highly recommend you try the remakes as they’re very similar but have enough nice changes to make them worth playing. Such as being able to actually catch Mewtwo and the legendary bird trio once you go back to Kanto. Not saying they’ll be able to overpower the nostalgia of the orginials for you, but if you love gen 2 they’re definitely worth playing at least once.

Or you could try Pokemon Crystal Clear. An amazing rom hack of Pokemon Crystal, keeping the nostalgic sprites, but adding a ton more to do and the ability to play the game in pretty much any order you want. It’s really impressive and still feels like a Gen 2 game.

2 Likes

Pokemon Yellow will always be my favorite as it was the start of my pokemon journey. I remember spending every day of first grade playing it on the bus rides too and from school with my best friend. I wouldn’t say it’s the best game in the franchise, but it will always be peak nostalgia for me. Love picking it up on a lazy Saturday for a casual playthrough

3 Likes

I played Silver on my lime green GBC before anything else. I still remember the day, going to CompUSA with my mom and getting a copy off the shelf and playing the heck out of with my worm light at night. So definitely my favorite, just because it was my original and all the nostalgia around it.

3 Likes

I love Emerald. It was my true first proper experience with Pokemon games and the first Pokemon game I completed. I love the Hoenn region, gen 3 Pokemon and everything about it.

My experience with Pokemon Blue as a kid using my friend’s Game Boy Color doesn’t really count because I was battling against her cousin via link cable and I didn’t understand what I was doing because as a 8 year old I didn’t understand English and I had never played it before and nobody told me what to do (read: salt)

1 Like

Red, blue, and yellow. Between all of them I put in 1000+ hours of fun.

2 Likes

Crystal for sure. It was the first game that introduced Gen 2 for me and with the addition of Red Gyarados, I was super hyped. The story felt flushed out, the sprites were worlds better than the Red/Blue, and just filled so many hours of my childhood. I played that game to death and still think about it from time to time. My sister loved it for all of those reasons as well, but she loved that they added a feature that you could choose the gender of your character - it was the first time something like that had happened in Pokemon games.

3 Likes

Mine’s hands down Emerald… Just because I can catch all my Pokemon and I have my Rayquaza on there (= first game generation variation it was introduced in (= Which is why I love/ have to vouch for Emerald

3 Likes

Pokemon Yellow, I remember riding Singapore Airline as a child and it had pokemon yellow. Hatching togepi was so memorable for me

2 Likes

My favorite game from the main series is definitely Pokémon Soul Silver. I easily spent over 1500 hours in that game and it was just an amazing remake of the original. Loads of blasts from the past and a lot of new and reworked features which were perfectly blended together. The first Pokémon in your party to follow you around (meaning they had 493 sprites implemented just for this), the GB Sounds Key Item that let you enjoy old 8-bit Pokémon themes, legendary Pokémon from regions outside of Kanto/Johto, the reworked interface and last but not least, Soul Silver’s main time sink, the Battle Tower. This area, just west from Olivine City was where I spent most of my days, chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool and all shootin some Poké-Ball outside of the Tower. This game also introduced the Pokéwalker Accessory, which I used to carry with me all over the place back then.

If we are talking about spin-off games, my obvious choice would be Pokémon Shuffle with over 4000 hours played, but I’ll stick to favorite main game choice for now.

4 Likes

Uh…

2 Likes

Emerald hands down is my favorite. Great story, great music, plenty of stuff to do. I really enjoyed the gimmicky stuff like the secret base, contests, or even creating funny text lines for the tv reporter. It was the first game that (to me) felt like there was more to do after completing the story than just restarting from the beginning.

A close second would have to be HG/SS. These games brought so many people back to the hobby, even if just for just a short time. In high school everyone would be sneak playing or just messing with the poke-walker between classes.

4 Likes

Most nostalgic one for me silver, favorite one ruby, I just love Groudon and got the game as a birthday gift!

1 Like

Tough to choose but if I had to I’d say Fire Red/Leaf Green. Having lots of nostalgia for Red and Blue the visual improvement that the remakes brought was amazing. I remember my final team consisting of Eevee and it’s then five evolutions at level 100. The Umbreon and Espeon were brought over from Pokémon Colosseum. :blush:

3 Likes

Pokémon Sapphire.

I feel like the Ruby and Sapphire games were true to form, but way more detailed. Being the first advance game i just remember how amazing the graphics were and all the new Pokémon and items were so exciting. And i mean, Rayquaza was probably the most exciting thing I remember from the games as a kid.

3 Likes

Yellow…because it’s yellow…

1 Like

Red because nothing can ever match that first experience playing the game. It’s one of my most nostalgic and vivid childhood memories.

3 Likes