Best Pokemon Video Game Generation

What is the best Pokemon video game generation? Vote within the generation and then post down below if you have a specific game in mind.

• Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen
  • Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver
  • Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
  • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
  • Black/White/Black2/White2
  • X/Y
  • Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • Sword/Shield
  • Legends: Arceus
  • Scarlet/Violet
  • Let’s Go, Pikachu!/Let’s Go, Eevee!

0 voters

3 Likes

Gen 3 surf theme. Nuff said

2 Likes

This poll is basically “how old are you?” lol

If we’re going to discount nostalgia vote bh I remember having an excellent time playing HeartGold/SoulSilver with the pokewalker. Next best time I’d say was Sun/Moon, it felt like a revitalization of the series. After that I hated the games.

10 Likes

We should be allowed to vote 2 options lol.

As kid, nothing is (still to date) more mindblowing than having day and night cycle, shiny pokemon, chasing legendaries, japanese folklore (back then it was so misterious), kanto, etc.

Being objective it should go to either B&W or gen 3.

1 Like

Crystal! I actually just started a new game file to play it again through the holidays

4 Likes

I dont agree with these options, this shows what is the best region, not what it is the best generation. Gen 4 should be best, because it has heart gold and soul silver as well. But if these are the options, I would have to go with gen 3.

5 Likes

R/B/Y, Base Set and Indigo League anime will always be Pokemon to me, love every other gen but it can’t be beaten

1 Like

Gold/silver is peek nostalgia for Gen wunners like myself. Like mentioned above, the night day cycle, shinies etc were mind blowing. To add in heartgold and soulsilver, it’s just no contest.

1 Like

My heart lies with Gen 2 because those games are where my fondest memories of Pokemon stem from. They introduced so many revolutionary mechanics for the franchise and combined with the stronger traditional Japanese influences, created an experience that was truly magical.

With that said, I voted for Gen 5 as I still to this day believe they are the pinnacle of game-design in the franchise. Their engines were buttery smooth, maps were intricate and maze-like, and in the case of BW, provided a completely fresh experience with all new Pokemon (commonly criticized faults in modern Pokemon games). The games also established some artistic mainstays such as the contemporary theming of each gym after the leader’s occupation.

Hard to choose between the two as they were both games that pushed the standard of Pokemon during their respective eras in meaningful ways.

3 Likes

I’m embarrassed to say I have only ever completed the gen 1 games :face_with_peeking_eye: and have started but never finished gen 2 maybe a dozen times. Someday I’ll finish gen 2 and make it onto gen 3 lol

5 Likes

I am the most nostalgic for R/B/Y, but heart gold is the best Pokémon game I’ve played! How gold & silver incorporated the previous generation is unmatched. Also the graphic and control upgrades in Hgss were excellent. It blew my mind when you went back to kanto and played everyone including your old self.

13 Likes

If I could only have one handheld console and a game, it would be a 3DS and White 2 + a friend/acquaintance with Black 2 to give me that damned key that actually makes the game as good as it is, unlike Black 2 which I think is the only time where one of the twin games is significantly better than the other.

If the alternative is having two Game Boy Colors, Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, a 64, stadium 1, stadium 2, a link cable, two controllers, two transfer packs, a TV and a shit ton of glitching then maybe I’d pick GSC.

Similar story with ADV. All the games, all the gear and all the glitches or, if you want to have an actual life, all the Gamesharks.

1 Like

Gen 2 and it’s not even close

2 Likes

Gen III and Gen IV are unique in that they lack nostalgia but they have a larger Pokédex and incorporate remakes to achieve a complete PokeDex. The game design used to make a complete Pokedex achievable in Gen III and Gen IV make it the winner for me.

I’m gonna say Gen IV, but Gen III is just a hair below.

I am going to go out in left field and argue for Legends Arceus. Sure, I have massive nostalgia goggles for Gen 3 and the remakes, Gen 6, and the original DPt games (the remakes didn’t do too much for me). But in terms of actual best gameplay, I found Legends Arceus to be the most fun, innovative, challenging, and unique Pokemon game I’ve ever played. The open-world areas were awesome, I loved the traditional Japanese artstyle, the remixed Sinnoh music was wonderful, the story was excellent, and it truly felt refreshing to move through the game.

14 Likes

Definitely the best 3d pokemon game!

4 Likes

Gen 2 with its extra entire map is hard to beat but the double battle mechanic alone is enough to push gen 3 to the top for me (and all competitive players too RIP single battles)

Also the gen 3 dex is my favorite

3 Likes

The progression of the Jubilife music theme throughout the game is unbelievable. I’m already nostalgic for the music of Arceus.

I’ll be replaying Fire Red till I die

10 Likes

So will gamefreak so no need to fear im sure itll get a fresh remaster soon