What is your favorite Pokémon game and why is it Emerald?

Gen 3 is the generation I was able to start out playing growing up and everything about it is outstanding to me and what made me get into every aspect of Pokémon. The challenge of catching rayquaza at the top of spear pillar before the elite four with level 40 Pokémon is something I try to do every game just because of how great it feels for the ultra ball to click and then I can just steam roll through the elite four.

I’ll go through this game at least once a year and I never seem to get tired of it

19 Likes

Gens 1-5 were something special while anything after that was a drop in quality imo.

Out of those five its hard to determine which one is my favorite. Usually its whichever one im playing at the moment

2 Likes

For some reason Emerald felt like such an improvement on Ruby/Sapphire. Getting a level 70 legendary before the E4 was nuts. IIRC it was also the only way to get a legit Mew for a little while, and in general there were some nice unique touches throughout.

Gold was the first game I played so Gen 2 will always have a special place in my heart (I spent days trying to beat Lance in Crystal with my severely underlevelled team), but my favourite game might be Diamond.

The jump in graphics from Gen 3 to 4 was huge, and the story felt like more of an adventure than any of the other games. I still remember getting to Snowpoint City after what felt like 84 years. It also had some of the nicest design - Canalave City is absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

Both gen 1 and 2 games are my favourite. Ever since I found out about natures and EVs with the release of HG&SS, I have never been able to fully enjoy gen 3 games again. Obviously I shouldn’t have to worry about that stuff since I don’t plan on battling competitively or anything, but it unfortunately still bothers me. Pokemon S&S is a nice step in the right direction with the QoL changes regarding those mechanics.

3 Likes

I used to be a gen 5 hater but as the years have passed I’ve enjoyed my last few play throughs of the game simply because I was forced to use only gen 5 Pokémon even though I used to hate the games just for that reason

1 Like

The only reason sword and shield is my favorite game for comp right now was because of dracovish but gen 6 was when I was most into it. I never cared about ev or iv until I started watching videos and making teams in x and y

Diamond and pearl have the best music and sprite models by far my only problem with the game was just how slow everything was. Other than that it’s one of my favorite on the series

1 Like

omg SERIOUSLY. Even the sprites move slowly.

Same here. It was the last game my friends and i played together in elementary school. When it came out i didnt like it too much compared to the others but it has grown on me. B2 and w2 also improved on the first two

My faves. Unfortunately never had emerald

6 Likes

If I were to start collecting something other than the cards I would definitely get some sealed games. Those box arts are so nice to look at

That is exactly what I have done this year. Put cards on the back burner and focused on sealed games.

I’d have to go with Crystal and Gen 2 in general. I grew up with Gen 1 and as amazing as that is, Gen 2 just improved on almost everything.

Gotta be Crystal and Pearl since those are the only games I can remember. Had Ruby and FireRed as well and definitely played them a ton but for whatever reason, I don’t really have that many memories of them.

Emerald was great, but for some reason, Crystal stood out as my favorite game. With gen 2 being such a massive trip and seeing promotions for the new Pokemon, I was super excited. The game mechanics when you bumped into the legendary dogs made every random encounter enticing. The new puzzles and mechanics, the improved sprite design, and the overall layout and playthrough was amazing. Of all the Pokemon games, I’ve replayed Crystal by far the most.

1 Like

My favorite was emerald; it was my first pokemon game and I LOVED it. Even though it took me like 5 hours to find team aqua lol

Yellow will always be number one for me. I’ve spent so many hours on that game. Great memories.

1 Like

Pokemon crystal

3 Likes

I remember being so hooked by Silver, back then it felt like a massive upgrade over red/blue. Pokemon Yellow was a huge disappointment.

Rayquaza. Enough said.