where do you guys store your cards

I got a decent amount of value (from my point of view)

I’m literally paranoid holding everything in my house, like where am I supposed to put this lol?

If it’s high end stuff, items above 500€, I would go to the bank and put in a vault. You can always get a safe for yourself.

If its boxes and general sealed product, maybe rent a storage locker in a facility with surveillance 24/7. You can always add insurance.

There are several topics about each of these options around the fourum :grin:

Unseeded in my pocket so I can show it off to all my friends.

9 Likes

In sealed plastic boxes at the curb with a sign that says freeIts been that for over a decade. I figure it safe because no one takes sometime marked free.

1 Like

NIce try, Team Rocket

6 Likes

4 Likes

The Base set stuff goes in my basement, Fossil cards get buried in my backyard, and my Jungle sets are scattered in various foliage around my house. The Team Rocket cards are stored in the trunk of my vehicle while the Gym series cards are held at a 24-hour fitness down the street. For the few E-series items I have, those are put inside of various electronics such as my computer case, old PS2, Ipod boxes, etc. Promos I tack onto local billboards or posters I see around town. Lastly, everything made post WOTC is put in my trash can.

In all seriousness just buy a safe of adequate size and steel quality and bolt it down if you are comfortable with that amount of security for the value of your cards. If you have serious value then start thinking of security in layers. Storage lockers, security boxes, surveillance, camouflage, animals, and alarms are all avenues you can venture into and combine. Don’t be scared just be prepared for the worst.

8 Likes

lol that was an awesome read.

If you put in in a safe, they will steal ur safe. Unless you have a bunch of fake safes all over the place and make the burgler choose lol. I’d store everything in a bank if ur planned to not sell it soon.

1 Like

Personally I dont like the idea of having my cards sit at a bank or storage unit. They are treasured possessions that I want to see on a regular basis. Not have them locked up where I don’t see them for years or months or have to travel just to check them out. Unless you are like Not Zelda Gilroy or Smpratte with irriplacable collections, I would just buy a safe. It will protect from most natural catastrophes. As far as theft goes house insurance or renters insurance covers that along with the rest of your house items. You just need to figure out the value of your processions along with your cards and that’s your coverage You pay. Doesn’t hurt to add a little extra to the amount you would receive in value so You get more back during a theft situation or natural catastophy. Myself, I have my cards on display in my home and when nobody is home or we go on a Trip or we have people i dont know well in our home then they are locked away in a safe so that it’s not a full on target for potential theft

2 Likes

Has anyone here actually had a lot of product stolen from them? In my mind a burglar is way more interested in stealing your electronics or jewelry. I’m not saying security is bad to invest in but I just don’t really see most burglars knowing the values on Pokemon collectibles.

1 Like

They know its valueable if its in a freakin safe.

But besides homesecurity, I’m more paranoid about selling stuff from my home adress. I don’t want people to know I have some easy value at my place. Its a lot easier to grab a bunch of cards than steal every computer in the house.

1 Like

The safe isn’t really about protection from theft. It’s for situations such a hurricane or your house burning down. A safe doesn’t have to be out in the open as well. store it in a closest or something. Can’t help it if a random person breaks in though. That’s what insurance is for. Paranoia about selling from your home; P.O Box then?

1 Like

Displayed on my shelf. No point having it if they’re in a box hidden away.

6 Likes

I’m actually considering getting a safe for my important documents in case of a fire. The Voltorbs would be in there of course. Right now they are in a drawer in my office.

This is why it has to be bolted down and made of proper steel quality. Careful with those price point “safes.” A bolted down safe will not be taken and it will protect you from the typical thieves that do smash and grabs or burglaries. That said, combining a safe with other layers of security like I mentioned before is important to consider.

My ‘good stuff’ is in a safe, as for the rest I’m sitting in an office with probably 300,000 cards at the moment :confused: My wife hates it haha

4 Likes

Totally can relate to this. My wife already doesn’t like them in my office and said that I will never have them displayed elsewhere in the house. I say challenge accepted :blush:

1 Like

on a shelf. why have them if you cannot look at them and enjoy them.

obviously for the rare person with a $10k+ card its a different situation, but even on this forum, I would guess that is almost no one.

annnnd, I dont think most people have any idea how much pokemon cards are worth. I was at a pokemon tcg league day last weekend, so these were avid pokemon fans, and they had no idea there were pokemon cards selling for thousands. these were players in their 20s, not young kids. they were not even aware that graded pokemon cards were a common thing.

this led me to wonder if the collecting side of pokemon is much smaller than the playing side???

Plenty of people on this forum have 10k+ cards

Players and collectors are two different things, I’ve been collecting for years now and I don’t have any idea how to play the game
the same can go for players, they may not have any idea about collecting

2 Likes