Collection protection

I’m wondering how people with different value collections store and protect their cards. Does anyone have recommendations for storing $100 vs $1,000 vs $10,000 vs 100,000 collections?
Is there a certain point where a safe or insurance or some other protection method is recommended?

Honestly, I think if your collection is close to or more than 5 figures worth you should use a fireproof safe.

2 Likes

I just keep it in a shadow box. lol, no protection for me :blush:

1 Like

If the collection is just big (like a bunch of cards that add up to whatever you deem high end) you could get away with a standard safe. For individual cards worth that much (you know the ones, 1997 trophies, Illustrator, even high grade Kangaskhan and Magikarp can fall into this category: cards that are not replaceable) I would look into a bank vault. It’s much safer than your home in all likelihood. If you’re from the land of the free and home of the brave, perhaps keep yourself protected with guns if you feel extremely paranoid. Remember, the police usually can’t un-steal something, and if you need help immediately there’s a five minute car ride to your house. Consider an alarm system, perhaps pay for insurance, whatever other customary protection you can think of.

Fireproof safe hidden away in your house. If you have a card that’s 10k and up, I would look into a safety deposit box.

If you’d rather keep it in your possession, look into insurance just in case.

It’s a little more complicated when you have a very large collection.
I have two separate safety deposit boxes in two different local banks as well as two storage lockers in two different states…one with a large gun safe inside for my favorite stuff.
Overkill? Not at all. I’d consider it the minimum necessary protection.

2 Likes

Imagining the treasures in those storage units like :drooling_face:

1 Like

The Pokemon stored is just a lot of what you’d already recognize. No secrets;)

1 Like

This thread reminded me to update my homeowners insurance :sweat_smile:

Get a good quality 1hr rated fire resistant safe. If you have a gun safe get a 1hr certified fire box to put your cards inside (box in a box). Most cheap gun safes don’t have adequate protection against fire for delicate paper or plastic items. If you don’t have a good place in the house for a safe a safety deposit box is your next best bet.

This is a good option if you like looking at your collection and not having it sit in a safety deposit box. Kinda why I’m worried about the value and size of my collection getting too big.

Firstalert is generally the recommended brand of chest/box, I’ve seen bad reviews of the SentrySafe stuff but everyone should do their own research for themselves.

@nysyr Much of my collection is sitting in binders & boxes in storage as they were packed away years ago, so I should really follow my own advice. I would cry if the cards were damaged after all this time. it would be a Pokemon tragedy :sweat_smile:

First alert is a brand I have positive experience with… the ones that are UL certified.

My house was robbed on Thursday. I had $8000 of PSA cards (<$100 cards) sitting in a case on my shelf that weren’t touched even though they could clearly see them, but all the cash was taken. I was holding off buying a safe because I’m moving out of state soon. I learned my lesson now and won’t even risk having any cards not in a safe temporarily.

Assholes cut through my French Doors…

2 Likes

I appreciate all the input. I think I’ll hold off on protection until I get the value of my collection up and then invest in a fireproof safe.

That’s terrible about the robbery. At least the person probably had no clue about the value of your cards or how to sell them.

I have a decent Pokemon collection and a lot of other valuable items I need protected. I have a extra large safety deposit box at my bank that only cost $37 a year (I live in a small town). I also have a heavy fire proof safe bolted to the concrete in my house.

I picked this up on Ebay. It’s waterproof and fireproof up 1550 degrees Fahrenheit. For my PSA collection.

1 Like

Fireproof safe for sure…I used to have a small safe until my collection quickly outgrew that. I also didn’t want to keep using a safe that somebody could pick up and walk away with. I keep my PSA 9 Char in my pocket and carry it everywhere I go for ultra safe protection. Fight me. :wink:

It’s a bit of a investment but for ultimate home protection get some real life houndour’s:

I think if you purchase a safe the best option is definitely one bolted to a wall otherwise I feel like your just saying to potential thief’s ‘hey I have something valuable in here and it’s already boxed up ready to go’ :smile:

@lugiaslair249 Yup that looks like the first alert model i have. If you have more cards look for a bigger version, I’m just about done filling mine up so ill be moving less expensive stuff out

Wow, I didn’t realize they made a bigger size. Thanks! My graded card collection is small at the moment; going at the pace I am now, it should take 2 years to fill.