What's your "pet" card? A card/collection that you may be the only one to care about?

For me, it’s totally all the best playable cards from the 2009-2010 format, send me a DM if you are a retro deck collector :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I used to hate Luxchomp! Here’s my deck from that same Era :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eevee, Pikachu, and Charizard collectors need not to reply

4 Likes

I really wanna put together a smeargle card collection.

This was one of my favorite cards from my childhood.

4 Likes

I own master sets of Magic the Gathering 7th Edition and 8th Edition. Most of these cards are not worth the cardboard and ink that they are made from, but they matter a great deal to me because I began playing MTG when 7th Edition came out. Looking through these cards brings waves of nostalgia and memories of simpler times. Players have no interest in this era and collectors prefer older cards (e.g., A/B/U/Four Horsemen), so these core sets have largely been forgotten.

5 Likes

Bunch of random non TCG cards/stickers I’ve picked up over time. No real value but I always look for weird stuff out there.

3 Likes

There’s a pretty strong amount of collecting interest in 7ED. – it’s just all about the foils! I know of multiple people each publicly offering 5-figures for a BGS 9.5 7ED foil BoP, for instance.

7ED is such a great set. What’s particularly fantastic about it is that, despite being all reprints, they didn’t reprint a single piece of artwork for the set. I don’t collect it myself, but I definitely see the appeal.

8ED is in a much weirder spot. Foils from 7ED are particularly difficult to get ahold of because it was at the dawn of the MTGO redemption era and before the foil pull-rate change that happened after Torment. So a combination of higher 8ED foil supply + new card frame really bring it down. Also a solid core set, though.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree with all of these points. The 7th Edition foil market is unique and needs to be considered separately from the non-foil market. Your points are also why 7th Edition Booster Boxes are $3,000-$4,000 and 8th Edition are rarely $1,000. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s still crazy to me that 8ED booster boxes are that much lol. They were $70-80 for close to a decade after their release. But there’s some real value in the set now because of EDH!

1 Like

I love cards with printer hickeys, small or large. The hickeys don’t add any type of premium but I think they’re really charming :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :joy:

For me it’s probably my Skarmory collection. It’s so hard to find some of the foreign modern ones. So many people I talk to just say it’s not worth their time to find them for me. Well either that or the e reader cards since it’s so niche and 3/4 or them are only in Japanese.

2 Likes

My MTG Lands collection is the only one I know of, though I’m sure others collect them as well. But people always seem bewildered and also impressed when I bring them out at game night:

3 Likes

I love 7ED/8ED as that is really when I was into MTG quite a bit. Still have nearly complete sets of both in my card boxes from my childhood. I’ve acquired several 7ED foils over the years, they are really nice cards and have been strong in terms of investment. I kind of feel 8ED foils are a bit underappreciated, but I definitely agree with your points on the card frame + pullrate aspects.

I would love to get a 7ED foil Birds. I’ve had a few opportunities to pick one up, but still never pulled the trigger when I should have. I do have the Serra Angel at least in Mint condition, as well as several others in NM or better stored away. Final Fortune is also a killer card, along with some of the lands and other rares.

3 Likes

Land arts are awesome, I wish pokemon did something cooler with energy, the closest thing are the HGSS energy

2 Likes

Can you imagine if each set had different energy arts?! Already too many alt art cards as it is! haha

Sylvanas cards from the wow tcg​:woman_standing::eye::lips::eye:

Edit, to tie in a pet, here’s Sylvia… named after Sylvanas LMAO

5 Likes

I’m one of very few people who collect Oddish. I only know of one other efour user who does :innocent:

2 Likes

What’s your favorite oddish art?

(insert photo of my entire collection)

2 Likes

It’s hard for me to choose, but I think this one is my favorite because of how cute the frog next to Oddish is. The combination of Oddish and the frog is a winner :slight_smile:

4 Likes