What's the story behind the Eevee Black Star Promo?

I’m super curious as to what the story behind the Eevee Black Star Promo (WOTC #11) is?

E.g. do we have a rough idea of how many were produced, what was the method of distribution, why is it so damn hard to grade?

I also find it interesting that the lower grades of this card are extremely cheap, while cards like the Black Star Venusaur promo in say PSA 9 go for 150+. Given Eevee is such a popular Pokemon, is there another reason why this might be the case (e.g. a ton of sealed promos that haven’t been graded).

Going purely off experience, I received mine when I went to one of those weekly Pokemon League events at my local Toys R Us.

Got mine from the Pokemon League as well. It’s probably just similar to the Black Star Mew which also had a lot of extra copies produced and laying around. I remember watching one of @thecharizardauthorty videos where he had a bunch of graded Eevees returned but I can’t find the exact video. I think in the same video he said he was going to send in another stack for grading later.

Thanks for the responses all :blush:

My local shop had at least 300-400 copied of this card. Not sure what they did with them, but safe to say they’re gone now. Didn’t realize it was a tough grade or I woulda sent a few out haha!

Im pretty sure the Eevees came in bricks of 1000. I’ve never seen a sealed brick myself but bought right at the amount in the past. I have about half of the pop that has been graded for those Eevees. I have been chasing the 10 with no luck so far, but I am far from done. It is personal at this point.

8 Likes