Black Star Promo Holo Eevee

I’m wondering how exactly did people obtain the Eevee Holo Promo back in the day? I know for some promos they were given out at the movies, and some came with products. But I can’t seem to find info anywhere about how these were obtained

Also how easy were/are they to come by? I’ve seen the PSA pop report so I know how many there are graded, but at ~$50-$60 for a PSA 9 it seems like these are undervalued and have a lot of room to grow, especially since eevee is a popular pokemon and the artwork & holo on this card are beautiful. But my only reservation right now is that I don’t know the history of the card.
What are your thoughts?

According to Bulbapedia:

Mostly due to print lines this is one of the most difficult English Pokémon cards to grade a PSA 10. The reason PSA 9s are probably low in value is because so many people will be submitting these in the hopes of scoring a 10. I believe TCA Gaming has submitted over 100 of them alone and presumably they all scored 9 or lower as he recently bought a PSA 10 copy from someone else.

4 Likes

Makes sense why there’s that many 9’s. But where it says it was made available through the Pokemon League in June 2000… what does that mean? I know that exists in the game but I’m not sure it exists in real life hahaha

They would have “Pokemon League” events in various places like Toys R Us, where they would hold TCG and video game events. Meet other kids, battle, trade cards, etc. They often did giveaways at these events for every kid who went. I attended one of them that had the Eevee:)

Ohhh ok that makes sense, figured it was something like that. I still think it’s undervalued at the current price for a PSA 9, but that could change a lot if some employees of those events have some sealed boxes of just these promos. I guess there’s no way to know for sure. Either way it’s still a stunning card!

This post brings back some good memories of summer as a ten year old. I can confirm this was given out at the Pokemon League. Mine happened to be at a Books-A-Million and the League representative handing them out gave me a bunch since there weren’t too many people at this league. The Pokemon League I would go to would happen every Saturday.