Whats the point of people covering the ID Code

Whats the point of people covering the ID Code at the top of psa cards? I noticed some people do that for cards they’re selling and others do it for cards they’re just showing off.

In the future search for past topics before asking :stuck_out_tongue: it’s been discussed many times, and in more detail than I can comment on

People like to do it so scammers can’t pretend to have a card they don’t or something like that.

Here is an additional thread on the topic if you want to read other opinions.

In general, there is no legitimate reason to cover a serial number. Especially for valuable items, the serial number is paramount in verifying its registration & authenticity. The trend is not as prevalent in other hobbies.

1 Like

Covering the serial number can protect the anonymity of a certain copy. So for instance, if I bought a very limited card I might cover up the serial number when showing it off in order to keep people from knowing how much I paid for the card. In most cases it’s really not necessary though. I and most buyers would really just prefer to know exactly which copy we are buying. Also, covering the number doesn’t do anything to prevent scam listings as they can use your picture regardless.

2 Likes

Sure there’s a reason. They are crooks lol. At the very least it’s sneaky and they’re hiding something. You have to assume they don’t really have the card. I’ll never bid on a PSA card where the seller is hiding something. Plus I advise everybody to do the same.

The only legit reason would be if it’s a pic on a dutch auction where the buyer would get one of the non pictured items in the group.

Interesting

Yeah totally. It just blows my mind that some sellers do it and some buyers fall for it!