What was the worst trade you made as a kid?

Hey all,

Thought id just ask a fun question. What was the worst trade that you made as a kid that makes you cringe looking back on it? Mine would have to be trading two FRLG ex cards for a base set 2 holo scyther back in grade school.

3 Likes

I made alot of bad trades as a kid because I was a sucker for card art I loved whether it was rare or not lol, I’m pretty sure that objectively speaking in terms of rarity and value my worst trade (that I can still remember), was a Base holo Gyarados for a Base Nidorino, because I was a dumb kid :rofl:

I gave away a Japanese Neo starter trio set to some kids in first grade to try to get them to be friends with me. Didnt work and still pains me to this day lol

Base machamp for a grass energy

7 Likes

Base Raichu for Base Ninetales.

Turned me off of trading ! Haha

1 Like

Near complete binder set of 1st edition base set… including charizard for $100 so I could buy a young jedi booster box. Still trying to recover from that… but hey at least I have a ton of jar jar binks holos…

3 Likes

I think we have a winner hahaha

1 Like

i traded my excellent condition rayquaza star for some sealed vanilluxe sleeves when they were “hot” … cause they were both valued around 40 bucks at the time. you might say i regret that

2 Likes

Holo base Blastoise for the Electabuzz gold stamped promo…

I was a sucker for promos in general, pretty sure I let go of legendary birds and such for promos too.

1 Like

1st. Ed Neo Gen Alt. Meganium for gummi bears haha - still a pain!

My first edition impostor professor oak for…pogs. Still hurts today 20+ years later lol

1 Like

I can only remember four trades I did as a kid, and none of them were very good… :laughing:

• My Base Set Chansey for a Base Set Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Vulpix (as a kid I mainly wanted more cards, and didn’t really care about Holos :wink: More about this first trade here)
  • My Jungle Set Holofoil Snorlax for a WB promo Mewtwo (this wasn’t too bad of a trade at the time, although it certainly would be today)
  • My Reverse Foil Legendary Collection Moltres for an Ancient Mew (yeah, bad move…)
  • My Ancient Mew for a Japanese Neo Genesis Steelix

The Chansey, Snorlax, and Moltres were all pulled myself. And the last two trades actually come down to my Reverse Foil LC Moltres for a Japanese Neo Genesis Steelix (with about a year in between trades). :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

1st edition Base Set Chansey for a “2nd edition” (Base Set 2) Chansey.

2 Likes

I remember trading a couple of near mint Base set holos for a scratched up Holo Zard. That’s as worse as it got! My poor poliwrath I miss him.

Dude pogs were awesome! I remember my oldest brother having boat loads of then things, they had so many cool pictures. At the time I reckon that actually wasn’t a bad trade!

I envy all you folks that can actually remember a trade spanning up to 2 decades ago. I cant remember any at all… I’d trade a LP base set 2 blastoise now to get a memory back about trading though!

2 Likes

I can’t really remember making many Pokemon trades, but I do have a bad Yu-Gi-Oh one: traded my Black Luster Solider - Envoy of the Beginning for Penguin Soldier and Guardian Sphinx foils. Something like that ouch. It was actually a trade with my best friend and he hasn’t cared for card games in like 10+ years lol so he lost it by the time I even realized it wasn’t a good trade lol.

Speaking of GOOD trades though, about 14 years ago in 5th grade I traded my Elemental Hero Tempest to a friend for Rayquaza Gold Star, which I’m sending for grading (eventually) and will likely earn an 8 or 9. About a $1000 difference there :joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Funny how everyone remembers their bad trades but not necessarily the good ones!

Not Pokemon related, but I remember swapping a 1st edition LoB left left of exodia for a starter deck blue eyes

A Neo Genesis Typhlosion for a Lt Surge’s Raichu (with a small crease). Traded a card I think is really cool for one I didn’t even like, just because a friend’s older brother somehow tricked me into it :slightly_frowning_face:

When I was in the third grade I traded my whole collection (about 35 misc. neo era cards with a few base and rocket set) for an ancient mew that the kid was supposed to bring the next day… I still havent recieved that ancient mew.

3 Likes