What was the worst trade you made as a kid?

PM me your address!

8 Likes

smpratte: making good on trades from back in the day I see! Now we know how your collection really got started :wink:

7 Likes

A gladius for a pilum. Iā€™ll never get over it.

1 Like

Jesus

I traded my machamp holo for a squirtle and ponyta

BAH! This brings me back. I had just opened my first pack in middle school and got a Dragonair. I loved dragons so I was wicked happy to get it and carried it with me on the bus to school. On the way, this kid sitting behind me asks if I want to trade for his Magmar. I tell him ā€œnoā€ because I liked Dragonair. He then tells me that Magmar is harder to get and that I would be able to trade more cards for it but that he just wanted Dragonair because he didnā€™t have one yet. He told me diamonds were rare and stars were uncommon. Like the gullible kid, I believed him. One of my friends was able to get the kid to trade back with me when he asked what my rare was from opening my pack. So since then, I still have that same Dragonair. Learned my lesson since then and did my research before making any other trades. This was especially useful in Yugioh because there were a LOT of kids who tried to trick others into making really bad trades. It was wicked toxic.

2 Likes

When I was a young boy, I went to my first league. I was eleven at the time and my friendā€™s convinced me to play with my umbreon ex in my deck.

An older, meaner, bogan looking ass kid came up me with the smile of a fox. He was fourteen.

He saw my beautiful Umbreon ex and decided he wanted it. He colonvinced me with a words that sounded sweet and innocent to trade him my Umbreon ex for his reverse holo sableye, Ludicolo and one other card that escapes my mind of this wretched memory for my Umbreon ex.

I wasnā€™t sure what to do but he said that I should make the deal since all of these cards were good against ex pokemon and that he hoped that I could complete his eeveelution ex collection. I folded but after 10 minutes I regretted the trade and tried to see if he was willing to have a heart to trade me back my Umbreon ex. The soulless demon would not and when a friend asked a league leader if something could be done he simply said. If you make a bad trade thats your own fault. I was crushed and didnā€™t know how to deal with being robbed like I had.

On the brink of tears I didnā€™t know what to do but fight them back because I couldnā€™t show weakness now, however in that moment another big kid who I had never met before came up me and consoled me. He couldnā€™t get my Umbreon ex back but he said something along the lines of sometimes we make decisions we come to realize were mistakes and canā€™t take back but itā€™s this opportunity that allows us to become better. Of course it wasnā€™t this elegantly worded seeing iirc he would of been 13 himself.

A few years later I actually became friends with that same kid as I mentioned I was entering the same highschool he was already at the upcoming school year. We became close friends but after I stopped playing pokemon and he graduated highschool we stopped talking to one another. We still see each other from time to time but Iā€™ll always remember him as the kid who heard me out that one time when I first started going to a pokemon league.

The end.

Whereā€™s your Elftan story now discord?

Drops the mic and closes thread.

6 Likes

^ Awesome story.

I think itā€™s funny. Looking back. I remember not caring as much as a kid about rarity when it came to trades. Just getting the cards I wanted by any means necessary. I had a friend who really wanted an Arcanine. I finally got one and he traded me his Alakazam which led me to getting my first ever Gyarados.

I kind of wish we could go back in that time and not care as much about the trading aspect as much as just appreciating what we thought was cool and what we wanted.

2 Likes

Yeah man, a few slammers in there too lol

I traded my entire collection at a shop for $60 when I was about 12yo, which I used to buy a game boy game (I think it was Turok). Iā€™ll never know exactly what cards I had back in the day. I remember having lots of fossil and jungle cards but itā€™s all a distant memory.

I traded my entire binder of cards, including Japanese and tons of base set holos, for $35. My soul dies a little bit more every time I think about it.

I remember doing several bad trades, but only one that I regret. I had managed to pull an unlimited Base Set Charizard from a booster, and being 8 or 9 years old I didnā€™t quite grasp the value of it until years later. Anyhow, my classmateā€™s older brother found out that I pulled it, on was very keen on trading it for some of his cards. After several days off shutting down his requests, I finally gave in and traded it for some cards - an unlimited Base Set Mewtwo and some other cards that Iā€™ve forgotten.

Other than that, I just traded away my rares and holo rares for lots of Base Set Charmander and Ponyta, since I thought those cards were cool.

Yikes. I know nothing about Young Jedi, but I feel for you.

1 Like

Pretty much any time I traded older cards for playable cards circa 2009-2012. Including lots of mint gold stars for reverse holo trainers.

3 Likes

Any time I traded with my brothersā€¦ They always took huge advantages over me. I remember I wanted maybe a Light Jolteon or something, so I traded my Zapdos from Fossil, a RH Feraligatr from Expedition, 20 or so random commons and a holo Gyarados from base for itā€¦

I always wanted cute pokemon and would trade away all the strong aesthetic pokemon for them. Of course my brothers being older knew that and would do trades like the above whenever they got something I really wanted.

1 Like

With PokƩmon, I knocked on more than one of my sons friends parents door to reverse trades. Of course I knew the values lol.

7 Likes

My older neighbor tricked poor little 8 year old me. Holo Fossil Aerodactyl for base Rattata. I remember him pointing out the art work of Rattata and how cool itā€™s teeth looked.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll probably be going to hell for this one. I started going to church (jehovas witness) when I was around 12-13 and they convinced me pokemon was the devil and tossed out my OG binderā€¦3 charizards, tons of 1st editions and many other personal favorites. I didnā€™t think about it then and the regret didnt start to sink in until I got older. This is the 3rd time I start collecting; 13 year old Roger is patting my back anytime I get something from my OG collection.

Bruh,

I think there was a thread on this when E4 was UPCCC! Ha! Good timesā€¦

Anyway!

When I was about 6-7 or 8 years old, one of the older cats on the block convinced my dumbass to trade up my Base Set Zapdos. I traded my brand new Zapdos (I remember like it was yesterday) for a Cleffairy doll, bill and a super potion. Yo, Iā€™m a duck; when I told my mom what I had done she instantly knew I had gotten royally finessed. I told her how my ā€œfriendā€ Damien traded me 3 cards for ONE of mine!

She said in Spanish: ā€œLet me see themā€¦ā€

I knew I had done goofed when she looked at me like a freakin eagle and asked me: Whereā€™s the shiny one you had?!

Dude! she went outside where said, Damien resided and demanded he take his three cards back and gave me mine back! He knew my maā€™ knew. Booya! Got my card back (I thought to myself). She had gotten my Zapdos back but she was still disappointed that I had let somebody hustle me out.

It still amazes me how she knew my ā€œshinyā€ (holographic) card was worth something. My OG was on some gangsta shit that day. I will never forget.

6 Likes

I once traded all of my English holos for Japanese holos. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time (1998-1999). I donā€™t remember exactly what I traded away (probably Unlimited holos) but a few Japanese Zards were included in the deal.

My parents just divorced back then, and sure, that sucked assā€¦ but Iā€™m a binder half-full kinda guy, so I was anticipating 2 bdays and xmasā€™s ;D

I was able to replenish my English set very, very quickly. :grin:

Unlimited Holo Blastoise for a Team Rocket Meowth.

Iā€™d never seen a team rocket card before and an older kid convinced me that the ā€œRā€ stood for rare. Never forgive or forget lol.

1 Like