What’s your most expensive card?

Not sure what it’s currently worth, but iirc a PSA-10 sold for ~55k USD and a raw one for ~40k (6M Japanese Yen) near the end of last year or start of this year. But whatever it may be worth now, it’s probably at least double the second most expensive card in my collection (which would likely be my PSA-10 EBD Lillie).

Greetz,
Quuador

22 Likes

For those interested in learning more…

A Pokémon Trading card Full Art print featuring artwork by Naoki Saito and was awarded to winners of Shining Legends Shield Game events, held at participating stores between July 15 and 30, 2017 and at select Pokémon Centers between August 1 and 29, 2017. An invitation-only prerelease event was also held at the Dwango Hanzomon Studio, Tokyo on July 2, 2017. The application period for the prerelease ran from June 23 until June 25, 2017; successful applicants were selected by lottery. A final event was held as part of the 2018 Yokohama Champion’s League, held at the Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama on September 3, 2017. The Shield Game events operated much in the same way as Limited format tournaments outside Japan: participants would receive 10 Shining Legends booster packs and a number of basic Energy cards (for free at the prerelease event) and play using a 40-card deck and four Prize cards. This card is limited to 100 copies printed and is widely considered to be a Pokémon trophy card.

3 Likes

Amazing! How did you get it?

1 Like

“It’s perfect” lolol

Bought it for 3.4k USD back when I had just started collecting FA Supporters. I think near the end of 2017 or so. I remember people thought I was crazy, since I paid almost double the market value for it at the time, since it was the only one I could find and it was also PSA-10. And it was also my most expensive bought single card by far (and actually still is my second most expensive bought card thus far now that I think about it). Anyway, let me just say that I don’t regret my decision back then, haha. :wink: And my FA Supporter and Character Rare collection is still 100% complete today (although some recent releases are incoming). :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

11 Likes

I love that! Talk about a a really good purchase

1 Like

This is such an amazing believe it or not story. If you only knew it yourself what you had won, could have tried your had with the lottery as well.

Cheers!

I want to know more about modern lottery Japanese cards but can’t find any info. Prices etc

Inb4 “where do you live?” and “how often do you leave your house unattended?” :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Well the most recent modern lottery promos were the Flareon, Vaporean, Jolteon Vmax Summer campaign promos. The lottery was for 3000 sets only.

Price wise I have seen them sell for as low as USD~4k. But that was when they had just announced the lottery winners and the first sets started hitting the market. I think now the whole set goes for USD~12K?

There are also other Japanese promos released via lottery, but I wouldn’t call them super modern (shiny legendaries etc). In general for prices ebay or mercari gives a good estimate based on recent sold listings.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks - I love all these cards a lot. I wish I would have bought a 1st Ed Bulbasaur sooner to complete the starters in PSA 10 grade, but he’s just so expensive now. I could afford it, I just haven’t made myself do it yet since I still have some other collecting goals I’m working on that I prioritize more.

Also, as much as I love the high graded cards, I’ve actually found the most joy just rebuilding and completing binder sets the past while. So I think over the years I’ve drifted increasingly back to pure collecting, with investing being the secondary focus. Instead of worrying about how much more expensive these cards could get, I just focus more on getting them in my collection to enjoy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My most expensive card is one I actually just acquired but it’s the same as @quuador, just ungraded. Photo courtesy of @pigeonsyndicate since he was kind enough to middle man this for me!

12 Likes

Darn! How did you get it?

I’ve worked with @pigeonsyndicate to buy most of my expensive Japanese cards through local Japanese stores, that’s how I got this one.

3 Likes

40 Likes

Omg talk about a flex :heart_eyes:

1 Like

hehehehehehe

12 Likes

I’ve never seen that card. What’s it’s history?

It was a summer lottery campaign back in 2021 where only 3000 people were awarded Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon VMAX sets.

This card is pretty special since this was my first prize card and I had to be very patient for a good deal to come across. I actually never imagined that I would be able to have a card like this in my collection when I got back into the hobby. I believe I was extremely lucky to come across this card when I did.

Cheers!

18 Likes