What’s the most cost effective way to ship?

So I just got into selling on eBay and have been really beat down with the selling fees and shipping cost. I haven’t sold any cards, more along the lines of statues and figures. I know shipping prices can turn people off so I try not to charge so much unless it’s something bigger. I go to the ups store and sometimes have them package my stuff but the price is always different, usually around $30 to $40. I’ve been eating it a lot with all these fees and it’s really cutting in to what I’m actually making in the end. Anyways long story for a simple question. What’s the most cost effective way to ship items? Who do y’all use to ship and where do y’all buy supplies?

2 Likes

Few Questions… Where are you located (U.S. or International)? Where are you shipping your items (Within U.S. or International)? What’s the average weight of item(s) your packaging / mailing?

I’m going to assume that your located within the U.S. mailing items Domestically with an average weight of less than 25 LBS for this response - I’d that’s not your current situation, this response is probably useless! LOL

1.) STOP PAYING SOMEONE TO PACKAGE YOUR ITEM!!! Yes, it’s real convenient to have someone else worry about packaging your items - ensuring that everything is packaged well enough for transit. However, the cost involved with this is 100% Avoidable and it’ll save you A LOT if you can package your own items! Now, in-terms of packaging supplies, I would highly recommend purchasing everything directly off eBay - don’t go to Wal-Mart, Target, Staples… for any of these supplies. You can find the exact same supplies for much, much, much cheaper online!

2.) USPS over UPS / FEDEX / DHL… Unless your trying to mail packages that weigh more than 25+ LBS USPS is always going to be your best option. Use the eBay Commercial Pricing to Print Labels - opposed to going directly to the Post Office. You’ll get a better rate using this service - something like 20% Off Retail Price? Not Sure on exact savings, but it’s substantial!

I hope that helps - if you need anymore specifics regarding shipping, I could definitely help you out further! I’ve been trying to cut costs on shipping methods as much as possible for YEARS! Haha

6 Likes

That’s a great answer, thanks for taking the time.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t like to ship anything that can’t be fit inside of a white bubble envelope. USPS is $3.50 with tracking. I’ve shipped hundreds of items and I’ve never had an issue.

Of course, I can ship boxes too, but that’s usually reversed for more expensive items, or for bigger items that have larger profit margins. After paypal and ebays roughly 13% fee, I am always mindful of saving on shipping costs.

1 Like

For single graded cards, USPS First Class every time if it’s under $500. Especially with printing through eBay/Paypal and getting that discount, it ends up costing either under or slightly above $3 for anywhere in the US, and they normally get the package in 3 days. Plus free tracking when purchasing through eBay/Paypal.

1 Like

Good answers so far.

Also it’s way cheaper to buy your shipping supplies on eBay vs your local UPS/Staples/Office Depot stores.

1 Like

If it’ll fit in a bubble envelope I’ll NEVER use a box for expensive items. I’ll create a thread on this so more people see it,

1 Like

@garyis2000 ,

are you worried about damage or theft to the box? these little boxes from USPS are about $8 and are pretty sturdy.

edit: found the new thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/shipping-tip-if-it-fits-you-must-use-this/25071/1

Try selling on mercari they have discounted shipping rates for all the carriers and you can print the labels at home I love it

Not sure if I mentioned this before but I’ve been using large 8 1/2 x 12 bubble mailers for PSA cards wrapped in slightly oversized cardboard with sandwich wrap. This size won’t get overlooked if dropped so less likely to be lost. Few cents more though but ones never turned up missing so I’m more confident using them.

1 Like