Need help with shipping costs from US

Yesterday I bought a big lot of cards on eBay. I got it fairly cheap after a last 30min bidding war.
I’ve already paid for the item and shipping and the seller just contacted me that he needs more money to ship.

He charged me $ 25.35 to ship the roughly 470 cards. Now he got back to me saying he checked it again and asks for an additional $25 because the shipping turns out to be $53.03 according to the USPS website.

Anyone can help me out with this? I guess he got some sellers remorse and hoped the auction would’ve ended up higher and tries to get some more money out of me.

EDIT.
For future purposes;
Is the declared value of the package something that makes shipping more expensive? Or is it just weight+dimensions?

It’s the weight and dimension. he should send it in a flat rate box

So his increased pricing could be due to strange dimensions? I just not sure if it would fit in USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" Flat Rate box which would explain why he got bigger shipping calculations, the next Flat Rate box is $66.
But I got a hunch I am using the USPS website the wrong way atm =)

1. Where is it shipping to?
  2. I shipped 500 cards before within the US and I sent it for under $15 within the US

[Edit] to the netherlands, it will be around $40 (flat rate, under $400, not insured). The seller should bite the cost if that mistake was on him.

So I should suggest him to use this?:

give them a chance to send it for the amount the auction was won for.
If not get ebay involved…they has an obligation to figure the shipping cost prior to setting up the auction. Its called a shipping calculator.
I dont see how any of this is your responsibility and at worst you get a full refund and ebay marks a strike next to his account, if they are willing to take that.

I wouldn’t pay anything extra if it was me. It is on the seller to calculate the total shipping and charge accordingly. Every time I under-charge for shipping, I just pay the difference out of pocket because that was my mistake.

1 Like

He initially didn’t ship to the Netherlands. I contacted him and he said he was able to do so, but couldn’t edit the listing. When he charged me $25 I didn’t see anything wrong with it. I’ve seen lots on eBay with more cards with shipping costs of around the $30 mark.

He probably assumed $25 would be enough to cover the costs, but then when he actually calculated how much it would be, it ended up being more than $25. Which, obviously isn’t your fault. I’d just tell him that you already paid what was quoted as the shipping cost. If he isn’t willing to ship, you’ll have to get eBay involved or ask him to cancel the transaction.

I would say $35 should cover the cost of a Priority Flate Rate Box. You can send a decent amount of cards in that box. But I am assuming the seller would want to pack the best way possible, hence the higher shipping rate, so that you get the cards in the exact same condition they have them. Wouldn’t want them crammed and have them show up with creases now.

But yes, it is up to the seller to figure the cost. Unfortunately sometimes you can be marginally off. For me in this case I would just take the difference and ship it. You never know when the customer might come back.

he cant ask for more, the costs are on him. Thats ebay, and thats what happens to amateurs when selling…do not pay him more…if the sale is concluded then he has to resolve it.You dont go for a meal, pay then wait for it…and then they come over asking for more because they are dense

1 Like

is this US to US shipping? 53 is insanely high!!! Ive paid wayyy less to have things shipped to the uk from there haha

The OP lives in the netherlands (The make believe place where Peter Pan lives)

Ah ok, Holland to US ?

US to NL.
Shipping to the US is easy-peasy for me. Slap on €25 euro and set.

I came to agreement with the seller. Item is being shipped with me just paying a few more bucks. In the end I felt the deal was to good to pass on so willing to. Awaiting his payment request and the shipping receipt to confirm the actual pricing.

Yeah to be honest if he didn’t initially have Netherlands as a shipping destination it shouldn’t all fall on the seller either. He probably didn’t know the exact amount and assumed it wouldn’t be more than $25 and was being nice by saying you’re welcome to bid on the item as well. It would be pretty discouraging to find out he has to cover an extra $50+ in shipping elsewhere when he would’ve got a lot more money if someone in the states won the auction. I wouldn’t really say this is a case to get ebay involved, it’s more of a having both parties message each other and come to a mutual agreement that benefits both people. I’m glad you went that route instead and were able to come up with an agreement with the seller

easiest way is dont offer international postage if you dont know prices

Which is what he did.
I had an answer from the seller after 1 hour, staying 25$ which is basically result of quick USPS check.

Still, I felt deal was good enough to not let it drop over a few extra bucks on shipping. As long as the cards arrive in good condition and not tossed in a box.

1 Like

Actually, the easiest way for a seller is to offer international shipping through the Global Shipping Program. It’s better than offering no international shipping at all. Plus, he’ll make more sales.

True, global or nothing basically. If your inexperienced in selling internationally.
I avoid buying global at all costs as the price is usually more than the item bought, best to do the research…however its easier to just slap gsp.