What percentage of your assets are in Pokemon Cards?

It’s substantial, but still less than my traditional investments. I think I also dont look at most of my Pokemon purchases as investments. Many are just investments in my own happiness, above the financial aspect.

I came here to post this comment… but you beat me to it. Well played Sir.

1 Like

Enough that it makes me uncomfortable to make eye contact in the mirror.

2 Likes

100%. I have no money

3 Likes

Ha, is 100% alot to you?

6 Likes

As a college student, pretty much my only other asset is my car sooo a lot

4% in Pokemon, 8% in crypto, 36% in stocks and 52% in private business assets.

“I don’t bother to keep check because I don’t consider them a financial asset”%

Should be less then 5% in alternative assets. Should be….

I’d say at least 6-8%, it’s hard to say for sure because some of the cards I’ve gotten way under market and could probably sell for more. I have no intentions of selling though, I enjoy them more than owning other assets and I don’t really view my collectibles at ‘investments’ even if they are sort of technically an investment piece.

“I don’t calculate my assets in percentages”-percentage

1 Like

The majority of my collection I can never imagine selling, so it’s hard for me to even think of it as a percentage of my net worth.

If really pressed to count them as assets, then I’m sure my collection is a fairly sizable fraction of my total assets. However, the cost to me is far less than its current value. So, although as a fraction it may be large today, it wasn’t in the past when I acquired the cards, which is why I especially feel no need to sell anything. In other words, I never did anything financially irresponsible so I feel no need to make corrections.

0%, because pokemon cards are not assets. I mean, they’re “assets” in the sense that a open bottle of scotch is an “asset”, but be real, they should not be considered a part of anyone’s portfolio. They’re a collectable, not an reliably fungible item, like a stock, bond, house, car. etc.

4 Likes

You may not consider it a part of your portfolio which is fine but it is without a doubt an asset, same as any other expensive collective. It is an inherently expensive collectible which can usually be easily liquidated for cash. And I dont know how a card is any less fungible than a car or house. A psa 10 base unlimited charizard is going to be considered as identical to another one as possible and certainly more fungible than comparing one car to another near identical one.

4 Likes

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle: some pokemon cards are assets, and in some timeframes.

You have a mint Gold star Rayquaza you bought for $40 in 2009? Yeah, almost cash-levels of liquid.

You sit on 100 Fossil Omanytes you need a bulk tier and several years to sell off at a profit after inflation? Not so much.

3 Likes

Yea obviously some cards are going to be good assets like graded high end cards while bulk isn’t much of an asset. And 99% of efour members would have collections easily into the thousands that would certainly qualify as assets. I disagree with the “some timeframes” comment though.

You don’t need to have bought a card before it has significantly appreciated for it to be an asset. If I bought a psa card for 10k during peak covid prices and it is 5k now or a card for 1k 3 years ago and is still 1k, theyre both still assets regardless of if they’ve appreciated for me personally.

I agree, it is still an asset, just a very lousy one.

My point is more that if you bought it at a pittance and you’re in desperate need of cash, you could sell it at a massive discount and still get 50 times what you paid for it.

I think an asset is more defined as what it is right now or in the future, not what it used to be or how it relates to you as the owner. A card I bought for 100 bucks years ago which is 1k now versus the same card someone else bought for 1k a week ago are equally the same asset to me and them. It’s not more of an asset because I got it for 100 bucks, it was simply a better investment.

2 Likes

The words are intertwined, we call it an asset because it is worth something today and is unlikely to be worthless tomorrow, and what it is worth today is related to what it was worth yesterday.

Unironically over 90%

18 Likes