What is the most unknown and unique card you know about?

Inspired by @qwachansey “1-of-1 Illustration Contest winner Chansey” I realized there are still a lot of unique or rare cards out there I don’t know about.
This made me curious, which special cards are still out there waiting to be discovered.

So tell me. What is the most unique or unknown card you know about?

Two cards I, for some reason, just recently discovered were the Sachiko and Ishihara card

6 Likes

TLDR, non-glossy Imakuni? card [presumably] given out at the TMB by Imakuni? himself

7 Likes

Where to even begin, haha. :grin:

If you’ve only learned about the Ishihara GX card recently, these are probably new for you as well: Dough Ferguson GX; Ishihara & Pikachu GX tag team; or the Katy Perry, J Balvin, and Post Malone V cards? :slight_smile:

Anyway, there are a lot of very rare cards most people probably don’t know about. Even this year there were some new cards I’ve seen for the first time, like this Elite Four silhouettes card for example that I saw a few month back:

And then there are also a lot of Sample/prototype cards that aren’t very well-known, like these Shadowless Base Set cards with unique holofoil pattern:

Or the very first Japanese prototypes from 1996:

Or the double sided Team Rocket Super Trainer Showdown miscuts with Spectratech Holofoil on one side:

Or these plastic German/Italian 1st edition Base Set test print cards:

And then there are also a lot of unique and weird misprints, like these:

And these are just the tip of the ice berg, haha. :wink: (Sorry for the wall of pictures, figured I’d share some of the more unique and exciting ones I’ve saved pictures of.)

Greetz,
Quuador

51 Likes

Similar to the two you posted, there’s this Doug Ferguson GX jumbo card. It’s not super unknown, but it’s obscure enough that I (and even @quuador) couldn’t remember the name at Worlds.

Edit: Too slow :rofl:

3 Likes

There are a fair bit of promos with very unique releases, but just from the top of my head, I remember the PCL promo card. This one is also not unknown but is certainly unique in terms of how you could obtain it.

Pokémon Card Laboratory ; 024 PCG-P

This was a side event at the Battle Road Summer event. Pokemon Card Laboratory (PCL) “researchers” and staff members portraying Gym Leaders were available at this corner to challenge trainers to battle with 30-card decks. If you defeat this PCL researcher, you would be awarded with this card.

Cheers!

13 Likes

This is fake. It uses the Pokemon Go Dustox model which didn’t even exist when this card was supposed to have come out

8 Likes

Well-spotted! and thanks for the heads up! I’ll remove it from my post (and my image album on my PC…)

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

This is absolutely amazing.
I saw the Katy Perry ones and thought they were fake, hahaha. What the hell? What is the story behind them?
And thank you for sharing all these misprint/miscuts they are amazing.

Yes, I was also thinking of these Silhouette cards when I was creating this post.
E4 has so much knowledge. Curious if more interesting cards will show up.

So far, the answers from you guys have been fascinating and amazing. Thank you! These cards are really going to send me down some research rabbit holes.

The test print Blastoise was also very fascinating when I heard about it for the first time.

4 Likes

This actually a card in my want list. These Battle Road events are a really interesting concept and have produced some amazing cards.

Wow some of these are incredible, and some would be super interesting to attempt to verify… I have to wonder how they’d fare to UV tests & microscopic imaging. Especially the misprints with multiple layers of ink! At the very least one could determine that they are unaltered, but we’re getting into super cool levels of forensic analysis into determining whether the layers of ink on top match the chemical composition of the ink layers on bottom. Thanks for sharing! :grinning:

2 Likes

Probably that weird Game and Watch/Pokemon hybrid card which was an e-series prototype

Can’t even find a pic right now! I’m sure someone else will post it if I’ve described it well enough

1 Like

Yeah, that Ishihara & Pikachu GX tag team is the one I think of. Is it confirmed to be Arita’s art. still looks like it to me…

1 Like

A few english set card entries:

• ex FRLG Cosmos Secret rare birds

• ex UF Celebi, this is not unknown at all but it is unique, the only ex with secret rare numeration if we discount box toppers, shards and errors.

• Cosmos Fossil

• The most unique thing I have ever seen and probably ever will is something I saw years ago, it was a green wing Base box with every indicator of being authentic that had a 6 instead of 8 in the ISBN-number. I studied the image at length to make sure I wasn’t just seeing a misshaped 8 or scratched number, and I never saved it. I almost wish I hadn’t seen it.

3 Likes

Ones I found out about here on the forum somewhere are the 3 secret rare Japanese Rumble cards. They were Croagunk, Pachirisu, and Eevee respectively. Only given out through a Daisuki Club lottery to 100 lucky entrants in 2009. Its a really neat and rare release.

11 Likes

These two Tomohisa Sako and Taiiku Okazaki CD promos come to mind for me.

15 Likes

This is one of those things that I’m constantly on the fence about. If I tell people about rare cards, then I give knowledge to the community, but it also makes it much harder to obtain these cards since more people are aware of them and searching for them. The struggle is real :frowning:

7 Likes

One copy each was given to those three music artists in 2021. Here some info about it on Pokebeach.
And here a picture of the physical Balvin J card:

If you haven’t seen it yet, I’ve created an article about it: Protostoise - putting the puzzle pieces together.

Speaking of articles, the Teach/Tryout Set cards aren’t too well-known either, and the ones from 2011 even have unique artwork not used on other TCG cards:
Japanese Teach/Tryout Sets.

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

The distribution of this card is so cool

1 Like

Based on your posts in Recent Purchases, I am sure regardless of the card, there would have been a high possibility that you might have purchased it. :smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

I can’t believe I missed to mention this one. I adore how goofy this card is and also the person in the card and his history with Pokemon.

This card was given as a token of appreciation to all the members who pre-applied for the “Pokémon Daisuki Club Stage” (an event where you can exercise while wearing special T-shirts on stage) held at the " Pokémon Festa 2004 " venue.

The funniest part is the card text which roughly translates to:
Pose “Tell me!” (same pose done by Poke Dude in the card), and ask questions to the other player which may or may not be related to the match. If you can’t answer, draw two cards from your deck.

The person featured in the card is Hironobu Yoshida, who is the lead designer and also a card illustrator with Pokemon. Some of his TCG illustrations are Lugia from Neo Genesis, Shining Kabutops / Celebi from Neo Destiny and many more. He has also designed some of the Pokemon which includes legenday Pokemon like Celebi, Rayquaza, Deoxys, and Darkrai.

During its release, this was one of the very few cards to feature real people in them.

Enjoy and Cheers!

16 Likes