What does this damage look like to you? A divot? A surface stain?

There is a Japanese listing I am looking at where direct communication with the buyer is probably not going to happen. But I’m curious what people think about this appearing/disappearing mark on the card face.

In these first two photos, you can clearly see a dark spot on the right part of the card frame.

But in subsequent photos, there is no sign of it at all.

Seller lists the card with “no obvious damage/dirt” so there is no information in the listing.

I am stumped. It looks so conspicuous and unsightly in two photos but disappears entirely in two others. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

EDIT: Thank you all, requested a lock!

It looks like a common “cluster scratch” to me, wherein you need lighting directly on it to detect it. Doesn’t look like a stain or dirt to me.

edit: very common on old backs, where there are little scratch clusters on the surface in some parts. Like a spec of dirt inside sleeve rubs in a very specific place. I have tons of examples on cards in the closet if you’re curious.

2 Likes

What does this kind of thing look like in person? I’ve never heard of this before.

Could also be a press mark, guess it’s a gambling game as always.

If I saw this listing on Yahoo, then I would assume it’s a tiny dent and probably move on.

@papafrankgod @A.P.Speeze It’s a bummer because the rest of the card really looks perfect, but I can’t spend this kind of money on any sort of gamble. I will probably pass.

I think passing is your best bet here. I would guess a very small indentation or a cluster of scratches as others have said. Either way, it sounds like damage that you are not interested in.

Thank you all for the sober responses. I appreciate the validation.

I think it’s a divot. They can be tough to spot if there is no direct light on there, and in the pictures where the light is directly on it you see it. Where with not a lot of lighting it’s hard to spot against the background.

Also, not sure if you know about this already but if you do want to try communicating with a Japanese seller, DeepL is a very good translation app that does way better than Google Translate and actually makes communication very possible!

2 Likes