What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

Your mom must be very proud

2 Likes

I mean, same here for the most part, but I understand the downside of this as well. Some sellers just don’t reply to questions or requests for more photos, some sellers don’t take good photos, other sellers can be deceptive etc, which makes a 3rd party grader very useful here. Personally I buy raw only because I’m just not willing to pay 2-5x for the condition guarantee. For the most part I’ve done pretty well though - but I do have to put in a bit of effort sometimes.

3 Likes

I was speaking bluntly with that statement, but yes, I see after posting here that there are many reasons to grade cards. On instagram, the replies haven’t been nearly as thought out, which is why I posted the take on here. I honestly think the point you made about grading simply being fun is the strongest I’ve heard.

I do personally find grading fun myself, too. Guessing the grade of cards, trying to get certain grades, etc. Plus, I think they do look nice (especially BGS).

1 Like

No, that would be authentication with no grade. Self explanatory.

Also really? Banned for having a hot take in the unpopular opinions thread? I’ve been having good discussions with people, I don’t think I’m the sour one here to be honest.

2 Likes

Is there really no monetary benefit in grading those cards though? I ask, because what’s going to happen with them down the line? Are you going to destroy them when you’re about to die, that way no one can make money off them?

2 Likes

Another value is registration. That isn’t offered in any retail option.

3 Likes

I think @garyis2000 , hit the nail on the head here, and what you’re explaining falls under this category too.

Grading is fun, plain and simple. I personally grade for fun partially myself, too. Even if I grade a card I plan on selling, its fun to see what grade they all get.

I feel bad for being so cynical previously about it, especially since something like this is so obvious. However, when I’ve asked people this before, they seem to have had a hard time answering. I still think at the end of the day, value is still an inherent part of grading a card, even if it slowly increases over time and isnt worth it at the moment. Your card could gain future value in a slab, but not in a hard case… but a hard case is no fun compared to trying for a grade.

I’m glad I posted the take here, its interesting hearing everyone’s thoughts

3 Likes

@alchemyst ,

All of my cards will surely be sold someday, whether by myself or by my heirs. However, it’s difficult to imagine a future in which a PSA 10 Evolutions common could ever sustain a price that significantly exceeds the cost of grading. There are far too many copies in existence, relative to the small number of collectors that are actually interested in them for set completion or whatever. Even if every human on Earth suddenly became a Pokemon collector we still might have enough Evolutions Rattatas floating around to satisfy whatever increase in demand that would bring.

The value of these kinds of cards should only ever hover around the cost of grading, plus maybe a small premium for convenience. You’ll have occasional black swan events like 2020, but in the long run the market will always correct, since the raw mint supply is effectively endless.

That’s why I said grading cards like that can’t be done with any expectation of future monetary gain.

4 Likes

The lack of the ability to take a joke is very very prevalent among tru collectors i find

1 Like

I agree, it’s difficult to gauge how much those graded evolution cards will be worth. However, I think it’s a very safe bet they will be worth over 10-20 bucks. Especially if you get 10s.

1 Like

Team Rocket was the worst WOTC set with unexciting cards and I can’t understand why it gets so much love. Even the chase cards like Dark Charizard, Dark Blastoise and Dark Dragonite are “just OK”. I remember the sheer disappointment as a kid if I went to Woolworths at the weekend to spend my pocket money on 2 boosters and Team Rocket was the only packs they had. Bleghh.

2 Likes

I was disagreeing with what you said up until your last sentence, which got me thinking about how I felt about the cards as a kid as opposed to now. It’s hard to remember how I felt about Team Rocket but I can remember always longing for the last set and having to settle for the one that was currently out. Now I’m questioning my nostalgia!

2 Likes

Interesting but fair take! For me they were and are the one of the most exciting sets. I thought it was cool how there was a dark/Rocket/alternate version. I always loved the villainous sides in series, movies and games.

8 Likes

I have 0 nostalgia for WOTC and I unironically think Rocket is the first set with more than 5ish cards that look good and there isn’t another one until Discovery. But I understand how your viewpoint can be warped like in your last sentence. I still treat late XY full arts like that because they were just everywhere in the Evolutions supply ramp-up from Pokémon even though there are some cards that look quite nice.

8 Likes

I enjoy the vibe Rocket delivers. I think its a solid set concept for the 2nd appearances of pokemon.

9 Likes

This is how I feel about Gym Heroes.

2 Likes

Agreed. It was the first time Pokemon had to legitimately think outside the box with the TCG (as far as set cards, anyway) because the original 150 all already made their appearances from Base through Fossil. I personally think they knocked it out of the park with what was probably the most detailed art we had seen from the TCG at that time.

It’s not just the holos, either. The non-holos were fantastic:

5 Likes

How are we posting Rocket non-holos without a single Kizuki?

5 Likes

Jungle venomoth/vileplume/electrode vs dark raichu, doesn’t come close.

1 Like

It’s like you’re in my head, couldn’t agree more. Dark Dugtrio is the one exception, which I never pulled anyway.

I found discounted team rocket packs at $1 a piece in a bookstore once, only time as a kid I ever got the opportunity to open double digit amount of packs and it still wasn’t enough to make me excited about the set. Same goes for everything that came after Fossil and before Neo Genesis, I didn’t even buy Gym packs just based on the shitty booster art.

2 Likes