What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

I don’t see the reason NOT to compare this new game to BotW. As mentioned, everything from the visuals to the sound to the gameplay has clear inspiration from BotW. There’s nothing wrong with this, but the game does lend itself to a direct comparison to BotW because of this. It’s not like this was an entirely predicable outcome from the second they announced the game.

I also don’t subscribe to the logic that a best selling game is somehow beyond criticism or that makes it immune from being a low quality game. It says more about the masochistic devotion and huge following of the franchise than it does about the actual quality of the game.

Overall, there are definitely a lot of critical opinions of modern Pokemon games, some more valid than others. I think most are rooted in a frustration that Pokemon can and should do better. I just see that as people advocating for a higher standard of quality and from that perspective I just don’t see it as a problem. It’s not hard to just buy the game and have fun and just block out the noise if you disagree with it.

2 Likes

Fair point

Interesting take, and definitely unpopular haha. I think there will always be a market for grading because people are not nearly as authoritative on condition as PSA. When you buy a PSA 9, sure you can argue it should be an 8 or a 10, but very few are actually deserving of an over 1-point difference from the given grade. When I get a PSA 9, I am confirmed to have a pretty mint card. If it is egregiously off, I can send it to PSA and I get the difference in price from its old grade to its new grade. There are far too many people on ebay who slide their raw card on the pavement and then list it as NM. Also especially with vintage sports, having the authentication alone is worth the price of a slab. Vintage cards are far too easy to fake. I will never buy an 86 Fleer Jordan raw because for every real raw card, there are 10 fakes.

I agree that comparing BDSP or SWSH to BOTW is silly, but I think Arceus is a fair comparison because it is an open-world, adventure-fantasy nintendo game. When you make a certain style of game, it will be compared to the best of that type of game, and that is how it should be. Every new platformer is compared to mario, and every new open world adventure will be compared to BOTW.

Minecraft is not a good comparison imo because it is intentionally blocky. Arceus made actual tree renderings and such, but just happened to make them feel like a game from 2008. Every game doesn’t have to be as good as BOTW, but to see a similar style game take such a huge step back in only a few years is jarring. I agree that everyone wants to complain. We are both doing it right now.

I really don’t care what the pop of a card is. I guess if you’re selling it, rarity makes something more valuable to others on the market, and it’s worth considering…but that doesn’t change how much I like the card! To me the fact that others decided to submit a card to a grading company makes no difference to how precious I think the card is

2 Likes

Authentication is a little different- that I can understand wanting a 3rd party for. I’m just talking about evaluating condition.

1 Like

It’s definitely one of the better ones.

I agree! Recently, I’ve bought some raw cards all rated mint in the listing. Upon receiving em, the cards are clearly not mint. At least with the big grading companies, the grades are more consistent. Authentication is even more important

Yep I played breath of the wild not for me. I think Pokemon legends arceus will not be for me. I find huge 3D open worlds game boring, not my type of game, that is what I compare.I do like 2d Zelda games though but do find the classic 2d Pokémon boring now :open_mouth:

I don’t understand the appeal of paying more for a PSA 1 vs a 2 or 3. I do understand grading your beat up Charizard from your childhood and keeping it forever. But buying someone else’s beat up card and paying more for it makes no sense.

4 Likes

Big brain move is to buy semi played charizards, then beat them up yourself to make sure they get a PSA 1.

I’m sure this has been said more than once in this massive thread. But the longer I’ve been in this hobby, the more turned off I am by graded cards. Cards belong in a binder.

3 Likes

No! It belongs in a museum!

2 Likes

This is a hot take that I know I couldnt post on insta without starting major shit. May be different here.

NOBODY grades their cards for “protection”. I hear this all the time, and I swear its just hipsters trying to convince themselves they aren’t grading their cards for profit. “I’m not increasing its value cuz I used XYZ grading!” Right, you made an even dumber decision and are now trying to justify it. Changes nothing.

Sub take: There isn’t a single reason to grade a Pokemon card other than increasing its value. Cases aren’t waterproof, can all crack relatively easily, and don’t protect from sunlight. There are actual, cheaper ways to protect your cards from damage, the sun, and water. Nobody does them.

I will say though, I don’t see anything wrong with wanting to increase the value of your collection. However, people stating that they grade their cards for any other reason are simply lying in my opinion.

I guess you found the right thread for this… then again I suppose this is less of an opinion and more of an easily falsifiable claim.

I have sent off multiple cards for grading that I either never have an intention of selling or that are absolutely not worth selling even after grading. It’s one thing to claim that YOU only grade for money but to apply that to literally every single other person who is not you is a pretty drastic claim

7 Likes

Care to explain why you need them graded then? You didn’t really refute a single point I made.

I have graded cards I don’t plan on selling too, however, I graded them because I believe slabs are cool in that they’re a nice way to display cards and increase their value at the same time.

1 Like

If your initial goal does not include selling then there’s no reason the value is something that should be relevant.

It also doesn’t explain why sometimes people grade cards that are worth less than the cost of grading. If people ONLY grade for value, certainly a net negative position after grading should never happen?

My question to you then, why not use a cheaper method to encapsulate/display the card?

2 Likes

Because there are factors other than cost that should be taken into consideration? I like the label and the framing of a graded card.

I’ll let you in on a secret… sometimes I also buy the 4 ply toilet paper even though 1 ply is cheaper.

4 Likes

Well 4 ply is a better quality of tp, so I can see why you’d buy that.

if it’s about quality, it seems like putting beat up cards in slabs, is the equivalent of using 1 ply

1 Like