What are these vintage japanese cards?

Not sure what these actually are. Does anyone have some insight for me or a link to information on these cards?
My buddy had them tossed in with some orders made in 1999 off the home shopping network.

2 Likes

Those are some examples of stickers from the 1999 Pocket Monsters Hyper Sticker Collection (Super Deluxe Gold).
Here’s what a pack of these would have looked like,

Front:

Front

Back:

Back

Here are some images of the box the packs came in,

Front:

Front

Back:

Back

Side 1:

Side 1

Side 2:

Side 2

The back of the pack also reveals what I think is the total amount of stickers (91) and the amount of stickers per rarity:

40 透明シール “Tōmei shīru”: Transparent Sticker
39 メタリックシール “metarikku shīru”: Metallic Sticker
6 メタリックエンポスシール “metarikku enposu shīru”: Metallic Embossed Sticker
6 プリズムエンポスシール “purizumu enposu shīru”: Prism Embossed Sticker

The box also reads that one pack of stickers will contain 6 stickers following this rule:

3 Metallic Stickers, 2 Transparent Stickers and 1 Metallic Embossed Sticker.

That leaves the Prism Embossed Stickers being the rarest of the lot and those are probably inserted at random to take the place of the, what I would guess, Metallic Embossed Sticker.

Packs were priced at JPY 150 (around $1,33) and a box contained 30 of these packs. So in 1999 a box of these would have set you back JPY 4500 (around $39,82).

10 Likes

透明 is transparent

1 Like

Thank you so much for confirming! I only just noticed the Hiragana Toumei/Tōmei above the kanji, I must be going blind!

5 Likes

They are Amada Stickers. They are collectable stickers and generally they have an accompanying collection books you can stick them in.

Thanks everyone!