Does anyone know the origin of these?

I found an old box filled to the brim with these and no one can tell me where they come from.
They look like bootleg, but I’ve yet to find some trusted source to verify.
And even then, they might be worth something

yb1brqh5cf4b1.jpeg

4 Likes

Otherwise if someone can point me to some expert on Vintage stuff, i’d really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Japan?

Kidding. but they scream 90s nostalgia!

1 Like

Just curious, are they stickers?

They show the Amada sticker shield and damage icons but have the carddass backs. I’ve no clue if they are legit or bootleg

Yep, they are stickers. I also noticed that, its like a mix between different original stuff - which sounds too elaborate to be something fake.
Know anyone who might have a clue about it?

From my basic Japanese knowledge, the Pokemon stickers do say Amada on the back, which might explain the design elements in common with the smaller Amada stickers.

I’ve no clue, but I’m sure others here will have some info.

FWIW, there’s this website on Amada stickers: https://www.pokemonstickerpedia.com/amada

I’m not sure how comprehensive it is, but I do think it’s strange for Amada printing to make a sticker that big. All their stickers were small square cuts from what I know

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I’m suspecting they are Chinese knock-offs.

If you look closely at the front, you will see the word 進化版 (evolved version / enhanced version) which is not printed on the original Amada stickers. Although the kanji characters are being used in Japanese, I have never seen the term being used within the Pokémon context ( 進化 evolve is frequently used but not with 版 version). Also, the typeface the term is printed in closely resembles slogans printed on Chinese toy packages or media during the '90s.

The '90s was a time when Chinese speaking regions such as Taiwan and Hong Kong had virtually no concept of intellectual rights when importing foreign media such as the Pokémon franchise. There’s a Wikipedia page describing the background (although it’s only in Chinese):

There were authorized merchandise manufactured at the time, but those cases are very rare since most publishers didn’t see the “need” to spend the time and money to sign commercial agreements (I know an interesting case regarding game strategy guides, but that’s going to be another long story), so if something in the '90s to early 2000s comes up without a verified source or publisher, I would first assume it to be a knock-off.

6 Likes

100% fake cards, so many red flags like holo pattern, bandai back but amada style front, poor art quality, “anime collection” even though it’s pokemon presented instead of anime frames. Amada indeed did only square sized stickers and certainly they wouldn’t have used other company’s back, stickerpedia is managed by @nidokingdom and he has quite certainly the best western if not worldwide knowledge about japanese vintage stickers

1 Like

Hello !
Thanks for the tag @joponnes !
I’ve seen these before several times (but never in japan) as I also collect bootlegs. I agree with @rabby250, I can confirm 100% these are bootleg and probably chinese (they do scream bootleg).

But I can list a 2 reasons : Mixing Bandai carddass backs and amada elements together on the same sticker is a good one; amada (now ensky) never made anything else than regular 50 x 50mm stickers.

(Btw if they are looking for a new home, especially that nidorino one :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:)

6 Likes