Wanting to learn more about Staff Pre release promos?

hey guys, been looking getting more information on staff promos. How they are distributed? How they are for grading?, appropriate value to pay for them? I’ve been picking up regular pre release cards for 5 bucks or less but recently started seeing more of staff and wanting to get more info on them? anything I am looking at self grade more of PC pieces for me but I don’t want to get ripped off an over pay so I would love to get more information

Which set?

Well I’m looking at some sun and moon and SV just modern sets. I know they are more expensive but I’m wanting to get information on them so I’m not overpaying. I’m looking at raw copies. I know that shops don’t get many of them. But other than that I don’t know much about them.

Staff promos are for people like League professors, event organizers, scorekeepers, and volunteers who help at Build & Battle Pre-Release events and are mailed out directly from The Pokémon Company International to the coordinator.

They’re not suppose to be sold by stores at all in any capacity; however, if you find a volunteer or a professor, that’s not affiliated with a store, who is willing to sell theirs, then that is a different story.

So the easiest way is to take the exam to become a Professor, volunteer at your LCS for Build & Battle Pre-Releases, and then get a staff promo for your services.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly what mimi said, though @Tydrennis if you’re just doing it to get hold of modern Staff promos it’s probably not worth all the effort, you’re just as well buying the ones you like.

TPCi did put a stop to distribution of Staff promos during the SWSH era because host stores were getting the promos directly in many cases, not giving them to event staff, and then selling them on for profit. I think the Vivid Voltage Staff Charizard promo kicked off that furore. So after Vivid Voltage, TPCi didn’t initially distribute any for the subsequent SWSH releases, however more recently they decided to retroactively release the promos for these gapped sets. So now we’re seeing all these missing promos for sets like Evolving Skies and Brilliant stars hitting eBay from seemingly out of nowhere.

2 Likes

Gotcha, ya I know pre release promos are very easily available but you don’t see the staff cards. I’m not after them for a major play just ones I think that look cool and I want for my collection but I’m not really sure what the traditional fair price to pay for them is? What they go for traditionally? I know I only have one lgs in my area that does tournaments and pre release events but only seen the regular pre release cards. Which I have collected a pretty decent stack for the pc. But I don’t play the tcg so I don’t know a massive info on the regular staff promos. I know they are very limited print runs so I would like to be able to get some for my collection before they are priced super high and out of my budget for collection. I know Mason from card n all gaming is selling a full psa 9 set of SV for 500 a piece but I jus can’t morally justify 2k for a PC Card that’s ultra modern.