VSTAR speculation and discussion thread

Nintendo has filed a new trademark named “VSTAR” on November 10, 2020. It has now been published.
The trademark was filed in Class 28, which includes the following:

Those are the same usage terms that other recent Pokemon TCG sets have, meaning it could be an upcoming Japanese set. However, VSTAR doesn’t sound much like the other trademarks for potential upcoming sets (“Matchless Fighters”, “Silverlance” and “Jet-Black Poltergeist”), so it is likely that this will be a new card type, possibly combining attributes of Pokemon V cards and Pokemon Gold Star or Prism Star cards. Another interesting tidbit is that the Japanese TCG has already rotated out of all Pokemon Prism Star cards, meaning they currently have no playable Pokemon card type that can be used only once per deck (the signature characteristic of “star” cards). In my opinion that makes a new Pokemon star card type even more likely.

What do you expect from Pokemon VSTAR? What are your hopes? My hope is pretty clear.

6 Likes

My hope is the same :blush: many Pokémon got overlooked with the OG gold stars including DEOXYS which somehow had a whole set for it, a
unique lenticular card, but no gold star.

6 Likes

@qwachansey,I remember that lenticular card, it was pretty rad! Even the text changed when you moved it.

It will also be interesting to see if VSTAR cards will be shiny Pokemon, because Prism Stars for example weren’t.

Lugia Gold Star. Please.

1 Like

Whatever they do, just please make it a really low pull rate.

7 Likes

Question is when will this new type of card be released, don’t forget we’re also getting single strike and rapid strike cards in the next Japanese set.

Due to the timing of the trademark I wonder if this will be printed after Silverlance and Jet-Black Poltergeist are out. Or will they start to roll out in a mini set.

We are currently missing a LOT of the Legendary Pokemon from the Sword & Shield Crown Tundra DLC as V/VMAX Pokemon.

My theory is that they will be represented as V Star Pokemon and will have a restriction of one copy per deck, to fit in with their Legendary status.

The pull rates will likely be similar to Prism Star or Amazing Rare, they can’t really do anything lower than one-per-case for a unique card due to players needing them for tournaments.

1 Like