USPS Auctioned my Slab 🤬

Well, sold a PSA 10 Expedition Pack slab to someone in Hawaii, Package delivered to them as ‘Received with no Contents’,

Filed a Claim, lost.
Filed a Lost Mail report - Never got a follow up.

The otherday, I find it on Bonanza, and now eBay with a big scratch in it.

Contacted the seller who claims he bought it in a USPS Auction, so for anyone who wonders where Lost packages/Items go -

The Mail Recovery Center ‘Inventories’ lost items, if they can’t find an owner, They auction it.

Pretty crappy situation since I never got paid out for it, and the seller is basically just like, Yeah, Sucks to suck kid.

Oh well, I guess.

1 Like

Pro tip: never use USPS

4 Likes

USPS is not designed to make a profit. It is a public service established in our Constitution. FedEx is not going to ship your letter to your grandma in rural Montana and have someone drive the final hours burning fuel for a 50 cent stamp.

24 Likes

None of that is really the point here. Lol,

I gave my post office scans of the item, Serial #, ect. If the job was done right at MRC, I would have gotten it back.

Ofcourse they have to sell things to make their profits. Just irritating when you get told to pound sound, and find your item up for sale again, You never really expect to see lost mail resurface.

USPS “destoyed” a 260 usd card I bought and they failed to delived many times. Will be funny to see it auctioned

So is Leonhart’s Charizard going to end up on a USPS auction?

9 Likes

Hey, Never know. I was just in total Awe to see my missing item from April appear again :exploding_head:.

Sellers a definite douche though. I didn’t ask for it back freely, I offered to pay, Just not the $900 he’s asking for it in scratched condition, ect, and the fact that… well… Technically it’s mine to a degree since USPS never Absolved my rightful ownership by honoring a claim.

But that’s all Moot. They did advise me to file a Mail Fraud complaint, LOL so I did. Maybe my case will make sense to the Postal Inspector and they’ll offer something.

FWIW, Police actually told me to buy it and dispute :skull_and_crossbones:. Not something I’m into, but it was funny.

3 Likes

Honestly, some Auction Goer might have purchased it, or will soon, and it’ll get graded, sold, Auctioned, ect.

It’s just how these guys make money, off of the USPS’ shortcomings.

Who knows what FedEx would do if there weren’t Private Express Statutes requiring private carriers to charge six times the amount of USPS to carry letters?

OP, sorry to hear about your experience, but I feel the need to respond to this.

It’s pretty hilarious that a graph from “Unbiased America” is incredibly biased and tells 0% of the full story of the Post Office’s revenue issues.

A 2006 law required that the USPS fund its employees’ healthcare costs 50 years in advance–a burden placed on no other federal agency (nor private company, obviously).

Quoting from PolitiFact: James O’Rourke, a teaching professor of management at the University of Notre Dame, said … “This advance funding requirement places a burden of about $6.6 billion on the postal service that would not exist if they followed a pay-as-you-go approach,” O’Rourke said. "This burden has quite nearly bankrupted the USPS over a 15-year period.’ … “‘if the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements,’ the Postal Service would’ve reported operating profits from 2013 through 2018”.

It’s also designed as a service, not a business, which means it’s not supposed to aim for the highest profit margins. It’s also consistently as reliable as UPS and FedEx, if not moreso. Come on, now.

13 Likes

O.o

I would hope the new “owner” of your slab, would give you some more insight into these “USPS auctions” I’ve never heard they did auctions before, I wonder if that’s where all the good Pokemon stuff is, If you can access an auction webpage, perhaps you can make a clear case n take it to court or whatever legal process makes sense for this. It’s for sure an unfortunate circumstance, hopefully if your case gets resolved it can help others if they encounter this problem and show what steps need to be taken in this event. Best of luck

USPS gets things wrong sometimes which sucks, but it’s going to happen when they deliver so much mail. I lost a PSA 9 error wartortle in January and the missing mail claim was finally ended by USPS a few months ago because they couldn’t find it. I wouldn’t be surprised to find it up on eBay one day. The other user’s terrible graph doesn’t give any reason why Fedex or UPS would never lose packages. USPS is by far the cheapest service and without them there would be no way I could sell a lot of the cards I do on eBay.

2 Likes

local12.com/news/nation-world/the-secretive-facility-where-usps-sends-and-sells-your-lost-mail-for-profit

Learned so much today …

3 Likes

Which is why you should never use them for anything valuable, they have no motive to provide good service.

So why do countries with universal coverage have some of the best health care quality in the world?

Spoilers: Profit isn’t the only thing that incentivizes good service.

3 Likes

Its sad this is a thing, that quilt was amazing, if USPS has photos of the auctioned items, they should have it inventoried in a way so that the owner of the “lost parcel” can have it located easily, only 3% get returned to the owner is unbelievable!!

2 Likes

They don`t though, 5 year cancer survival rates has the US at #1. When you remove homicides and car accidents, the US has the longest life expectancy. Also they develop over half of all new medical patents.

3 Likes

you have literally provided no evidence that USPS is less reliable than private shipping companies.