Unprecedented Mail Delays - Be Patient

I wanted to make this thread as a quick psa for buyers. Currently there are an unprecedented amount of shipping delays. I just got off the phone with USPS. There is a perfect storm of record breaking holiday shopping & online shopping in general + Record breaking restrictions due to covid. By far the worst I have experienced in my 13 years on Ebay.

Anyway just wanted to get that message out there/partially vent as I have a couple buyers with zero patience and understanding. I have purchases as a buyer going back to November stuck “in transit”, and plan on waiting a few more weeks.

53 Likes

^Seller trying to temper expectations to reasonable levels while taking into consideration the broader state of global affairs and the general holiday season.

Buyers who don’t care: “I thought about buying something from your eBay last night why didn’t it arrive in time for my daughters birthday party last week?”

23 Likes

Experiencing the same on things I’ve ordered, shipped out, etc. A great little reminder and message, Scott.

Happy holidays, everyone! :blush:

4 Likes

It’s sad that we have this amazing convenience of online shopping to our doors and people are impatient. But furthermore truly, truly sad, and pitiful even, that people find it even remotely reasonable to take this out on sellers, as if it is their fault. And who in the hell is in a hurry to receive a Pokemon card! Even if it is a present! Buy it in time and you wouldn’t have a problem!

I have a couple items I bought stuck in transit back to Nov 24, but you don’t see me complaining.

People generally love to blame others for their own procrastination unfortunately.

Would like to add this extends to international deliveries also. Still waiting on three parcels from USA (to the UK) that were dispatched three weeks ago!

Im getting buyers on the other side of the world opening cases within 10 business days. I partially blame ebay for this, they should to make the buyer wait a minimum of 3 weeks. Its horrible how impatient some people can be. In my mind unless the seller has no proof of shipping the item im fine with waiting 5 months and 29 days. Im covered fir 6 months, so if the seller is being responsible i might as well wait

4 Likes

It would be great if ebay etc could take this into consideration and temporarily amend their expected delivery times before people could open a case!
Packages into Australia are sometimes sitting for 2 weeks because of covid and because there are no direct flights into the country from the US they seem to going via Japan. This is just one circumstance, im sure there are many more…

8 Likes

Agreed that people are being way too impatient. The only justification I see (at all) is if the buyer is concerned that they are going to get scammed. However, if they know anything about how ebay works, then they should know they are protected so long as they open a case before the expiration point. Isn’t that 30 days after the expected delivery date? I imagine these buyers are being way more impatient than that. They probably aren’t waiting like 28 days to start complaining.

I’m hoping that my SS gift I ordered two weeks ago come in soon. My SS child is international and if this delay continues, he/she may not receive the package until next year :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I was finding it odd that stuff I have ordered hadn’t started coming in today so this is good to know.

Im likely going to make my ebay hidden/ hide all listings until January. Its becoming a headache

Thanks for a great reminder! Super true. It can be stressful checking tracking numbers and not seeing your stuff move. It’s the holidays, and you have to remember the amount of items being shipped at the moment. I’m definitely guilty of being an anxious buyer, (I’d never take it out on the seller!) and I have to remind myself to calm down and wait it out.

I’m hoping for the best for everyone who buys/sells on ebay during this time.

thanks for the heads up

I think eBay’s estimated delivery times are a big source of this problem, they do not update them to reflect the current delays

18 Likes

So true. Here are the options I am given when shipping from Canada to the US

Half of the time the package takes 3 days to get through customs let alone travel through the US postal system. I always get nervous when sending packages like this.

It’s also funny considering it takes atleast a month to get a package through eBay’s GSP.

1 Like

I definitely agree with this and I’m not sure if that is something that we can let someone know to change and give a larger range of days at eBay itself but I think especially this Holiday season its necessary.

1 Like

@mthursty, @nikhil, Crazy hey, that’s why I list all my items under the slowest speed. It is 100% a sales tactic for eBay makes it more attractive to buyers seeing those crazy delivery times lol

2 Likes

I wouldn’t sweat it. Most years a large chunk
of international SS gifts don’t arrive until after the new year, it happens, but the spirit of the intention and the thread will still be alive and well.

2 Likes