I'm scared I may have lost a Groudon Gold Star in the mail

This may probably be the most paranoid post I’ve ever made… Especially given the circumstances surrounding our planet being infected by Covid-19… However, I decided to sell my Groudon gold star on the 10th of May. I need the money, as sad I was to see it go. Being out of work right now really sucks, especially when you aren’t able to draw unemployment. Anyway, It’s been 10 days, and the tracking on it has said the same thing for the last 7 days. It says it’s in transit. I’m starting to get a little worried now. I insured the card for $300, but lets go ahead and count for the worst. That the package has indeed been lost. Will USPS honor the $300 insurance given it’s literally a piece of cardboard that retailed out of a pack of Pokemon cards for like $4 in 2005? I’m super new to shipping things… I’ve started a small ebay business selling cards and video games in the last couple of months, and I’ve done more shipping in the last month than I have in my 25 years of existence. Can anyone shed some light on this? Does anyone have any experience with insured unregistered assets such as cards, or collectibles? I’m not 100% convinced it’s lost. It’s been a while, but it’s still possible it’s being shipped. I’m honestly just trying to prepare myself for the worst possible scenario. I talked to the guy at USPS today in person and he said “It’s kindof a cause for concern, honestly. Not going to lie to you.”

What do you guys think?

1 Like

Mails all fucked up. I sent a package to Italy from the US and it took ~45 days. I wouldn’t worry for another couple of weeks.

6 Likes

If you insured it for $300 with USPS, it doesn’t matter if you packaged a speck of dust. You will be able to get your $300 back.

And yeah, lost mail happens. Two months ago, I purchased a $1,500 card that was lost after arriving at the USPS post office a block away from me.

That doesn’t mean it’s definitely lost, but it might be.

3 Likes

Could mean something as simple as the label got smudged and it’s cycling wrong.

All you can do is wait out the initial period and file a claim if nothing changes.

I would also go and try to talk to someone with more information than the front desk worker at USPS. There are steps they can see that you cannot and they should be able to lodge an inquiry internally.

1 Like

I recently got a Politoed from Australia that took 66 days to arrive, i didnt even get worried considering covid.

We shipped cards to USA a couple weeks ago and they are taking 30/35 days on average. Just be patient!

3 Likes

I purchased a starter deck for $45 and the seller put $50 insurance on it. The box came crushed and lost value, so the seller got the insurance money and reimbursed me. I feel like you’ll be okay since you insured!

3 Likes

You paid extra for insurance and if USPS lost it on their watch you are entitled to the value regardless of what USPS thinks a pokemon card may be worth, they probably won’t even check the description for a $300 claim.

4 Likes

Don’t worry! The insurance will cover you. Make sure to get in contact with your buyer and let them aware of the situation

ebay will refund them most likely and you will have to make a claim through usps. I had to do this once when a buyer claimed that it arrived empty. Obviously they were a scammer and ebay sided with them. I just had to go online and put in the information from the receipt and they approved the claim and sent a check in the mail within two weeks or so

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I decided to contact USPS through the customer support line. Ended up talking to a really nice, helpful lady. I’ve sent in an inquiry, and they’ll get back to me within a couple of days they said. Really hoping this is just slow shipping, but I wanted to be proactive about the situation. A $300 loss would devastate me right now. Really happy to see from what you all are saying that I will get my money back if worst comes to worst. I’m just going to feel bad for the buyer honestly. I’m sure he’s been excited to get the card. Hopefully it’s just hung up somewhere, and he’ll get it still.

Again, appreciate the peace of mind, and the responses. I’ve calmed a bit.

I lost a national champ zard in the mail last month and refunded the buyer. Post office wouldn’t admit it was their fault until it went all the way past consumer services to a us postal advocate. It was tracked but not insured, so I was forced to file a lost or stolen police report so I could mark the PSA serial number as stolen. Hope they get your card or the insurance covers the damages, but if it doesnt show up post-ebay claim, it couldn’t hurt to report the serial as well in case it pops up on ebay down the road.

Wow, that really sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I’ve decided anything of significant value is going to be insured from now on, without question. And that’s a good idea. It’ll likely pop up somewhere, and when it gets sold with that cert, and you see it, you’ll know for sure. In my case though, it was a raw, ungraded Groudon. No cert for me.

Edit: I never graded it because I was pretty sure it would’ve gotten a strong 7, or weak 8.

Like people have said, the mail is doing some crazy things. I recently had a four figure item take 26 days from Boston to get to me in NY. The sad part is it actually got to a distribution center near me in 4 days, and was just “lost” for the next 22 days. Fill out this form and someone will reach out to you, but expect a generic message like “sorry, covid,” but it once that form is filled out, you can escalate easier later as youll already have a case number. www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

1 Like

Don’t lose all hope yet! Had a package literally sit for 20 days with no updates. Ebay seller refunded thinking it was lost, but then turned up on the doorstep a week later. Of course I paid the seller back!

Mail is a mess, give it another week.

1 Like

Seeing this thread right after mailing a gigantic PSA order is making me break out in hives

2 Likes

Eyes glued to that tracking details lmao

1 Like

Thankfully my buyer hasn’t gotten upset, or at least hasn’t shown he/she is. They haven’t even messaged me. I messaged them a few days ago, and explained that the shipping might be a little longer due to Covid, but they never even responded… So idk. I hope they don’t ask for a refund, because I don’t know what to do if they do ask for one. Considering the item could potentially show up at their doorstep after they’ve been refunded. Can anyone help me with what I should do if they buyer does ask for a refund? I’m not comfortable with refunding the money while not knowing whether or not the item will show up a few days later or something like that.

Anyone?

Haha, don’t drive yourself crazy like I did. It’ll be fine

:blush:

I mailed something to England April 2nd from the US… Still not there yet and the buyer asked for a refund. EBay sided with the buyer and took my money when they probably will eventually get the card. I called and issued an appeal since I have uploaded tracking from the start and it updated back on May 3rd. We shall see.

1 Like

Are you referring to US to US usps shipping? I have several orders outstanding from tcgplayer from domestic shipping from end of april. I have heard USPS is delayed, so just waiting extra week(s) due to corona. These represent 10% of the purchases, so I’m like 50/50 its usps delay or they just lying and didn’t send me anything.

I also still have multiple shipments from Japan/NZ that are even worst affected by Corona. I’m glad they haven’t cancelled the orders as the card prices have by now gone up from purchase price.

You have insurance, should be fine…

I mailed an uninsured package to some state in the south in January(might have been SC) and it stopped updating tracking after it reached a USPS 10 minutes away from my customer

Filed everything I could and nothing turned up. Looked up the USPS and their local reviews and they’re notorious for stealing packages, being utterly useless at answering questions, and never picking up the phone lol

Had to refund the customer so I essentially just lost $200 of raw bulk for nothing :blush:

Wish you the best of luck it was definitely smart to insure the package as you should be covered regardless of whatever fuckery goes on at USPS

My close friend has a Amazon package that has been in transit for over two weeks.
Indina to Florida to Houston.
K it’s here
Nope
Then went to Dallas, Florida, Tennessee back to Texas to California back to Florida, Houston, Victoria (Texas).

Still is “out for delivery”