Unpopular opinion - Different perspective: Gold star dogs

I’ve just read all the story behind those cards and I’m left with one question: What were they printed for?

This because I’m stuck with a thought, let’s assume they were printed in such a fashion they were probably destined for a mass release, right? so if they really were, wouldn’t they be just as “common” as they are now?

So besides all the shadiness in the transaction involved in this story, weren’t they supposed to be more comme than the other GS anyway?

Correct me if i’m wrong or if I miss some important detail about the release of these cards.

PS: I’m not in any way defending the seller, we are past that point, I’m just trying to see this story from a different perspective.

1 Like

The important detail you’re missing is that these cards were never intended to go to market. They were not packaged within EX Unseen Forces packs. Just because cards were printed doesn’t mean that they were meant to go to market or be publicly distributed. Recently we had a prime example of this with Art Academy cards: 100 were distributed to each winner, making them quite exclusive. Some winners never sold theirs, but extra copies that were printed and obtained by Pokemon employees eventually came out.

We’ll never know exactly why they were printed, but they certainly weren’t intended to be released in any legitimate way.

6 Likes

This Is what i thought, but then again why print a massive amount of Chase cards of you never intend to distribuit them?

It’s not some slip or change of Heart on a 100 cards, Is a 5000 additional print run of three Cards that are still now hard top pull from a pack.

How are normally GS printed? A sheet only for them or are they inserted among the other sets cards? Because of they were this would Mean that this flood was either created printing only those 3 Gs (again, why?) Or together with other cards (if It really Is which Is probably a wrong assumption) which would Mean that somewhere there Is a block of flat full of that set’s bulk.

Has someone from the Company ever spoke about this accident? Because as other have highlighted this at the very least looks shady and for any other good this would have ment prosecution, how come It wasnt the case?

PS: i don t own any GS in any language and i dont Plan on aquiring some soon and if i did i would only get japanese ones.
I Just found the topic to be interesting and i wanted to share my thoughts with you :blush:

5000 extra cards is not a huge amount

1 Like

You are assuming these were printed for a legitimate use.

2 Likes

This probably is a stupid question but why would 5000 cards be printed and not be for legitimate use?

Are you asking why does crime exist? I don’t know.

These cards were illegally/illegitimately sold. That is inherent. Assuming they were intended for distribution/legitimate is baseless. No one will ever know their “true origin” as the entire situation is again, Illegal/illegitimate. It will always be speculation. However the existing evidence is on the side of illegitimacy: considering the availability for all other gs is not even close = more evidence this product wasn’t intended for distribution.

1 Like

Am I asking why does crime exist…really lol No I was asking what gives you your confidence that they’re illegitimate beyond it being an assumption also because I literally do not know anything about this whole thing. Thanks

1 Like

Look at the Pop reports. Look at the video showing 5,000+ GS cards in binders. GS were 1 per 2 boxes back then. That is 10,000 boxes worth of product. Over $1,000,000 retail product would have had to been opened to obtain them all. And one guy ended up owning them all and putting them in one binder.

1 Like

One guy? Lol good Lord. Is that video on YouTube?

www.elitefourum.com/t/gold-star-raikou-stolen/24685/5

www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5st4hx

1 Like

It’s almost certain, regardless of the intent of printing, that these cards were meant for destruction.
If you’re implying that these may have been meant for a promo slot, I doubt it.

Smpratte was being facetious. Of course he assumed most our members here have half a brain and would get his point.

2 Likes

The trouble is when one person has access to such a large supply. Similar to cards like the WOTC promos they are cheap because individuals had access to those 1000? card bricks, the card’s release is nullified because people got them through non sanctioned methods.

They could have very well been a part of the original release but that doesn’t matter their gold star rarity was nullified.

If I was collecting those sets I would pay a premium for cards graded before Dog-gate, but it really does taint the experience of collecting and in the end is a big shame that those cards have met this fate.

I’m a new collector so what i am assuming is simply based on my common sense, nothing certain, and i just wanted to share some thoughts.

I assumed they were supposed to be distribuited because either this is a common practice and thus we risk having boxes full of chase cards in someone’s basement, or this was not common practice and so why printing 5000 chase cards alone if not to distribuit them?

the point of my question indeed was, why printing them in such a fashion if not to release them? they are no test version/error or anything else and 5000 looks to me like a huge amount just to “test” anything.

as i said the reseller has obviusly done something illegal, in italy it would be “ricettazione” or at least “incauto acquisto”, that mean having bought stolen goods in the first case or having bought probably stolen goods in the latter.

why isn’t anybody after him?

in the previous thread about this someone posted a link of the story of an MTG eployee who rob from them approximately 45.000$, police to track down a seller at a flea market and the buyer, question them to eventually get to this henry person. would it really be that difficult for the police to track down this leak? I don’t understand how he is walking away from this.

i say it again, whatever I say is based on my common sense, nothing is written in stone and i don’t have more insights than anybody. I just wanted to deal with this with another perspective :blush:

I’m not sure how many people are involved in the printing process of cards, but if it’s not a lot then it could be feasible that someone printed an unauthorized run and then kept them. That’d make sense to me as it’s much easier for a printing press to misplace a blank sheet of card stock than it is to misplace a sheet of GS, allowing the person to evade prosecution.

I’d learn the difference between being sarcastic and being facetious before I started talking about people having half a brain.

My comment was tongue and cheek comment. Relax man.

I know. I didn’t make a big deal about your comment.

1 Like

I’d think an unauthorized print run would require several people to be in on it though. As someone who’s worked in factories my entire carreer, I can tell you for a fact that factories are filled with nosy, jealous and backstabbing people XD there is no way one person could just casually print 5000 extra cards and noone would notice or say something about it. In most factories it’d even be noticed if you took a minute too long to take a leak.

1 Like