Unlimited Jungle boosters with 1st uncommons?

I recently purchased two sets of Jungle boosters (i.e. 6 packs in total), but I’m not sure whether these packs have been tampered with or have been resealed.

The seller claimed that he bought an opened box with 20 packs remaining. He has nothing but good reviews, so I bought them quite uncritically. He also claimed that he opened one pack himself and pulled a holo and - and here’s the strange part - 1st edition commons as well, even though the packs themselves are unlimited. I also noticed that there are some crinkles on the back (which the the seller didn’t show a priori). Both the seller and I are Swedish, but the back of the packs have Japanese (?) price tags.

I thus have three questions:

• Are there any recorded occurrences where unlimited boosters included 1st edition uncommons?
  • Do these wrinkles look alarming? All 6 packs have almost identical wrinkles.
  • How hard are the middle things supposed to be glued? I haven’t been hard on them, but not nice either, and they still don’t loosen from the edges.

If the boosters are legit, I’ll probably open one. If not, I’ll return them.

Pictures:

I think they are fake. Not a pro so others can chime in but from my newb experience that unrefined margins around the energies and the TM and nintendo being out of focus. Not sharp. But I’m still learning. This is why packs scare the crap out of me. It’s tough.

-Matthew

Not an expert on booster packs, so best wait for some of the pros to respond, but:

No, I’ve never heard of some 1st edition cards in an UED pack. There are some 1st edition Base Set packs with UED cards in them, which are basically Base Set triangle-stamped packs where they forgot to add the triangle.

I’ve never seen an UED pack contain 1st edition cards, though.

They don’t look alarming to me, but again I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to booster packs and boxes. But wrinkles like that seem like a normal thing that can happen during the sealing process to me. Looking at the pictures here in the variant 3 a similar wrinkle can be found.

No idea…

Again, I know next to nothing about booster packs/boxes, but I personally don’t see anything too alarming about them. But again, let’s wait for what others have to say before making any conclusions.

Greetz,
Quuador

Open it for research lol

Thanks for all of your answers!

If I do decide to open a booster, what order are the cards supposed to be in? I haven’t opened a Jungle booster since they first were released 19 years ago.

Edit:
7 commons, 1 rare and 3 uncommons in that order, right?

That pack looks legit to me. Those wrinkles and lines on the back silver part are normal. The 4th picture showing the opening looks normal too. Top does not look to be re-glued either.

and yes - 7 commons, 1 rare - 3 uncommons in that order.

1st edition will NOT be found in any unlimited pack. Either the guy is lying, has remembered incorrectly, or opened a phony pack.

I would recommend weighing them with a cheap postal scale to identify which one (if any) has a foil before deciding which ones to open/keep/sell.

In a sort of related way does anyone know how to tell whether a jungle booster box has error no symbol cards in?

I bet they searched the pack and used them as a filler to sell. No surprise nowadays

Pack looks fine, there have been instances of Shadowless Base packs containing 1st edition uncommons, this is likely the same scenario, I’d purchase the packs asap :blush:

1 Like

Great news, guys!

I finally got the courage to open a pack! I paid 400 SEK (roughly $42 USD) for each pack, so I was a bit reluctant to open a pack if it turned out to be fake or whatever. I did weigh the packs on my cheap kitchen scale that only had a resolution of a whole gram, but by weighing multiple packs simultaneously, I managed to narrow a potential holo down to one of two packs. I took a chance and opened one of them:The uncommons were indeed 1st edition, and I even managed to pull a holo Wigglytuff :grin: All of the cards, as well as the booster pack (I recently received a couple of more packs in the mail that exhibited the same durability of the flap glue, amongst other things) seem 100% real. The cards feel and look real, they were in the correct, and they are all pack fresh.

I’m thus claiming that there are legit unlimited Jungle boosters with 1st edition uncommons inside. If anyone has any questions about the packs, I’ll gladly help you.

Edit:
I just now noticed that the font on the Wigglytuff is slightly bolder than on the other cards. I’ll have to look that up in a while.

2 Likes

Yes, this happened often. Wizards never threw anything away which is why you found 1st ed non holos inside. Unfortunately they don’t add any value to the lot.

1 Like

@ekdennisek
Thanks for sharing. First time during last 4 years I hear about such thing, this hobby always manages to surprise you one way or another.

Here’s a close-up of my new Wigglytuff (on top) compared to another one from my collection. The font is a bit bolder, like I said, but I’m still inclined to believe that it’s a legit card, as everything else seems correct. Just a printing anomaly, I guess.

Never seen 1st edition cards in UED packs before, but it indeed makes sense with what you said. Considering they’ve re-used the Shadowless cards for the first UED print runs and covered 1st edition stamps with triangles on packs, it indeed wouldn’t suprise me that much to see forgotten 1st edition cards in UED packs. Never seen it before, though… TIL :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

Ok just realised I have a sealed unlimited booster box with the same code on the packet you have. Does this mean I have a chance of the packs having 1st editions in it?

I didn’t know you could pull 1st editions from Unlimited packs. Is this a Jungle exclusive thing or did it happen with other WOTC sets as well?

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the foil! It’s nice to be able to open some and keep some sealed when it comes to vintage packs.

This is so cool. 20 years of pack openkng and never heard of or seem 1st ed cards being in an unlim booster pack.

Not likely, very very rare