Underrated Pokemon

Scraggy could use more love.

2 Likes

Kabutops! Such a sick Pokemon :blush:

11 Likes

Arcanine needs more ultra rare love in modern Pokemon. Not doing that majestic beast enough justice

4 Likes

Clamperl, Huntail and Gorebyss.

1 Like

Arbok and Seviper. The show did them a bit dirty by being dumb with Jesse and James but Dark Arbok from Rocket and Sandstorm Seviper are 2 of my favorite cards of all time!

6 Likes

That card is sick.

2 Likes

I’m honestly surprised why Absol hasn’t received more attention myself. For such a sick Pokemon, it blows my mind that he’s rarely talked about as a “favorite” but then I’m reminded at how good the variety was in Generation 3 and why Sableye, Metagross, the starters, legendaries, etc. seem to overshadow it’s popularity.

Honestly, they should have used Absol for the X&Y games to warn people of the impeding super weapon that was about to be used, or make it have a regular appearance in games that have to do with potential great devastation - it could have even made an appearance warning the Player of the potentially destructive battle between Kyogre and Groudon in Gen 3.

7 Likes

bUZZWOLE

1 Like

True that, I was playing the Shield Crown Tundra DLC and saw this guy suddenly pop up in front of me and was completely stunned - I’d completely forgotten he was a Pokemon.

I think Tyrantrum’s problem is he looks a little too badass, looks like something from a different franchise.

For my answers I’ll say underrated in the TCG; Arcanine, this guy is a massive fan favourite and hasn’t been anything more exciting than a holo rare (Break promo aside) since 2006!!!

Underrated in the franchise; I’ll go with Azumarill, charming and unique design, some great cards in the WOTC days, great typing but has slowly faded out of people’s memories.

2 Likes

Also idk if Omastar is really underrated - i think its well liked by fans, but I feel like Omastar got snubbed so many times in the TCG and often lost out to Kautops. Kabutops must have been a big favorite at the time bc it got a Neo shiney, a Crystal and even an EX while omastar was relegated to non-holo rare or even the uncommon slot over and over again :slightly_frowning_face:(

10 Likes

Pikachu Libre. It’s a cool Pikachu with a low PSA Pop report. No love.

110%, why aren’t these holographics?!?!

5 Likes

A level-headed way to fairly answer this is knowing generally what is in the meta for both media, has efficient distinction qualities going in either there or its overall fun looks from playability, appearances and/ or epic cardography.

Rhyhorn, Slowpoke and Abra family absolutely fit the bill. Onix & Steelix. Murkrow. Aron line. Armaldo line is how you design fossil mons correctly. Trubbish line. Yveltal is truly devastating. Foul Play in ubers oh my outer gods, but that’s due to the sheer fuckery of Geomancy Xerneas (X 'gon give it to ya).

Fairy type Arceus in Ubers ain’t no joke. Took me a long time to fully get with Arceus but I always loved his og set of nine. It’ll likely get it’s shine again soon as an excuse for artists to go big, Big,
BIG.

Arceus to me is for Nyarlathotep like what Sleiphinir is for Odin. It’s concept and design completely clicked thereafter. Still need to get that Paul Komoda statue to pose next to Arceus.

Interesting how Arceus has bevome the last truly memorable pokémon after current generation time. Many iconic characters for their genreation just don’t seem to stick completely unless you’re dedicated to a certain format or game of the hobby. Even Mimikyu has taken a bit of a backseat.

3 Likes

Smeargle!!! extremely versatile and an artist… so many great-looking cards, too

5 Likes

Smeargle absolutely accidentally sneezed out Darkrai’s existence.
Before that, it was Mewtwo using Taunt. :confused:
Darkrai’s Legend with Cresselia is one of Pokémons highest quality contributions as one of its earlier risk-taking outside artists made by the guy I believe to do with Neon Genesis Evangelion and/ or Gainax. Really wish he can return for this remake as the HGSS series was perfection.

2 Likes

Oh Togekiss, especially in the TCG.

Anyone who has faced it in the video game knows PTSD.

Futhermucking Dragalge.

@quuador The remakes are no doubt likely going to end the babbie mons’ silence. Thought they were brutally efficient in the Neo TCG meta. Quilava just might be my favorite starter. @alicia Cubone is one of those that gets more appreciation when you get older. @dragonwarrior Shining Arbok I tell you man, ist Übermónsch. @candle Omastar has the Chad I mean Masaki royalty and Twitch status definitely going for it. @quibble Methinks sadly Tyrantrum was just a bit too late. Tyranitar was Godzilla, Aggron was Pulgasari/Mechagodzilla/Dragonzord and Groudon is basically an armored Giganotosaurus turned Behemoth. Yet there is a lot of personal affection in midst of all this mythology that we have Tyrannosaurus truly in our world. Don’t mean to be a diss by comparison to the theropodmons who Imo should have the highest non-legend Attack which even that stat fact in itself is a major factor to Rampardos’ uniqueness. When looks aren’t an issue, what is sadly are having no unique in-game properties as this is what sadly broke Absol too (@azulryu) because all they need is an iconic signature ability or move to help them and both in-game are unmemorable beatsticks with no unique ability. Interesting how others have that advantage yet on the flip-side are looks or concept-wise completely unmemorable.

3 Likes

Like others have said, Dusclops should get more love. Don’t forget about Duskull and Dusknoir though! Pumpkaboo is an amazing Pokemon and gets its fair share of merch around Halloween time, but I don’t think enough people even know of its existence. I also think Liepard is underrated, it has such a sleek design.

2 Likes

@enigma , our beloved BW generation is criminally underrated as a whole. Many people just go “lol ice cream cone bad” without delving into the absolute plethora of great designs.

Not so much by players though, BW2 are widely appreciated as some of the best games to date, myself included. I think BW is the last “classic”, OG-format generation.

And offcourse, anyone praising Dusclops is automatically right.

2 Likes