Underrated Pokemon

I think Aggron, Hydreigon, Togekiss, and Weavile are all very good. I def agree with Haxorus too, I was obsessed with Haxorus when he was first announced.

4 Likes

Primarina, Trubbish, Meloetta, and Poipole are all great (and need more cards :stuck_out_tongue:). I could probably list a dozen more that I think are great and don’t get enough attention. Not sure if Cosmog counts as underrated since it had such a big focus in the game, but I feel like it should have a bigger fan base for being so cute!

1 Like

Our resident Electrode/Voltorb collector @tonysandlin would approve of this.

2 Likes

Magikarp is the most underrated Pokemon. It flops around and is literally useless, everyone laughs at it - until it gets pissed off and turns into a massive beast of a water dragon.

5 Likes

Venonat, Paras, Lickitung, Tangela, Omanyte, Diglet

5 Likes

I find nidoking pretty underrated. If it weren’t for him looking like a purple people eater I think he would be appropriately rated. (like red nidoking would be badass)

He’s made out of steel armor.

He has a horn.

His tail hits people with the force of a thousand suns.

and he’s got a wife. Dude is winning

I am partial to Nidoking because he was the first ever holo I pulled back in the 90s. This card (altho I obviously opened English) just hits different for me. because fuck yeah, nido fuckin king

from deviant art, if nidoking were red…

chefkiss

15 Likes

4 Likes

Wigglytuff and Clefable. Sue me.

1 Like

Farfetch’d live by the leek die by the leek.

8 Likes

Lilligant! Such a cute and pretty Pokemon and every single Lilligant card has beautiful art.

3 Likes

This 100%. The baby Pokémon mechanism was a flop in the TCG, but after that they never changed it so all these cute Pokémon are almost without released cards. @pichufan made this list of the last Japanese card release of gen 1 and 2 Pokémon, where a lot of the baby Pokémon are at the top, along with Abra and Kadabra due to that lawsuit that’s finally gone now since last year. And the baby Pokémon of later gens weren’t any better of. Mantyke only has three artworks, of which just one in English; Budew has two; etc.

Some others that come to mind: Tirtouga/Carracosta and Archen/Archeops; Phione (always in the shadows of Manaphy); Torterra (my personal favorite grass starter); Porygon evolution line (primarily in the anime, since Porygon 2 and Porygon-Z have never been shown only because of that epileptic Porygon episode back in the day…); Quilava; Paras/Parasect; Venonat/Venomoth; Tangela; Chingling.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Jumpluff! It got multiple great looking (wotc) holos, yet still no one cares about this cute little fluff ball.

7 Likes

For me it’s got to be Absol, the Disaster Pokemon, the Bringer of Doom. (Even though technically Absol doesn’t cause the disaster just kind of warns about it). Looks really cool with fascinating background.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Cubone for its story in the tower (in the videogames) and Electabuzz ^^

6 Likes

Kingdra for sure. Super elegant and cool looking DRAGON. Also Zacian and Zamazenta. Best looking box art legendaries in a while for me (might be just because they are good boys tho).

1 Like

The proof is in the pudding. He literally turns into a king. Case closed. Thanks for the backing haha!

3 Likes

He wasn’t my first Holo, but I couldn’t agree more. I was way more excited to get my 1st edition shadowless Nidoking than I was for my Charizard. I’ve always loved nidoking almost entirely because of this card. Not personally in my top favorites, but I can definitely see how he is underrated. Maybe overshadowed is more apt :thinking:

1 Like

Definitely baby Pokémon are the most underrated now - though I imagine people were pretty bored of Pichu constantly appearing.
The list I made there only includes gen 1 and gen 2, but there are several more baby Pokémon which haven’t been seen for a very long time in the TCG:

No. Pokémon Last Japanese TCG release Days passed
#438 Bonsly November 30, 2006 5,254
#458 Mantyke November 30, 2006 5,254
#408 Budew July 10, 2008 4,668
#439 Mime Jr April 16, 2010 4,021

Baby Pokémon don’t really have any purpose any more. Power creep in the TCG has ultimately pushed them to the point of being unplayable. I think it’d take a big overhaul of how the game works before we see them as regular cards again.

6 Likes

Shout out to the T. Rex Pokemon everyone seems to ignore. A goddamn T. Rex. In Pokemon. And nobody seems to appreciate it.

How?!

12 Likes