Tropical Mega Battle Questions

*Sorry for the large images but I wanted to show you in-depth detail of the cards.
Thanks to Avmozz for the pictures.

Tropical Mega Battle print
The Pokémon Card Game Official Tournament’s champion is recognized here, and this honor is praised.
This proves that the person who possesses this card participated in the Tropical Mega Battle Best in Japan Deciding Match.

Firstly; As I was inspecting these cards, I noticed that the #2 and #3 have half the text of their counterpart #1. I don’t believe I have ever seen this obvious difference before so never thought anything of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts why this is? I can’t understand why they changed the text since their sister cards (the Secret Super Battles) are all the same length.

Secondly; Also another thing I noticed is that within the #3 text it has a ‘3’ similar to the Pikachu Trophies but for the placement not the tournament number. Where as the #1 and #2 do not have a ‘1’ nor ‘2’.

Again does anyone know why this is? It would make sense as it’s the place of the card yet the other two do not have their numbers.

Does anyone else see anything I might have missed? I’m always curious about the details cards and things like this are very interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and enjoy the lovely images!

• FrostyFluxy
1 Like

Wow I never noticed that, I too am curious, thanks for posting! Finally thank you so much for the images, they are breathtaking! They have to be up there on my list of most beautiful cards :blush:

I agree that they are just stunning cards.
I’m sure it won’t be too long before you buy all 3 as well ahaha!
What do you think of the differences or are you as confused as I am? :blush:

@frostyfluxy

The reason why the [Tropical Mega Battle No. 2] and [Tropical Mega Battle No. 3] have less text is simply in how the prize is described. In previous versions, it would mention the recognition of participation in the deciding match (i.e. finals) of the tournament – Tropical Mega Battle only mentions the participant’s rank and not much else. I don’t why they altered the text. My theory is that it was beginning to sound redundant, since it is common knowledge that this award was a result of the finals – so they decided to exclude the extra text.

The reason why there is no number one and two in the [Tropical Mega Battle No. 1] and [Tropical Mega Battle No. 2] is because it mentions the participant as the champion and the runner-up, respectively – not a specific rank. I believe numbered tournaments only occurred in the Pokémon Card Game Official Tournament (i.e. Pikachu Trophy Cards), but don’t quote me on that.

Thank you so much Unique you’re super helpful!! And yeah you are correct about the numbered tournaments

Thanks a bunch! Like Cbd said your super helpful! :blush:
Certainly would explain the numberings if they say Champion and runner-up. What your saying about the text is the best guess I’ve heard of anyway. Just it would make sense if the SSB’s #2 and #3 had also the shorter text.

Just to clarify, these were only given out in 1999 and consequently there are no trophies from subsequent tmb’s right? And there is an estimated 7 of each correct?

Correct. There’s fewer SSB and tmb than pikas.

Thank you! 8 of each pika and 7 of each ssb and tmb

With of course the exception that the Pika’s are of course that slight bit different. Where as te SSB and TMB cards don’t differ at all.

Yup, thanks!

I believe there are 12-14 sets of pikas. 2 sets in 97’ 6 in 98’ and 6 in 99’

I always thought the numbers on pika’s were, 2 (97), 3(98) and 6(99). At least that was the Avmozz reference I always quoted.

Also, I have a feeling that there might be close to the same amount of SSB and Pika’s out there. Of course there are more SSB than TMB but I am not 100% on the total copies of SSB cards distributed.

Oh wow I always thought it was 2,3,3 for the pikas and 7,7 for ssb and tmbs, that’s just what I’d heard from researching whatever I can find. So it seems then that there is no general consensus on the numbers? I wish we spoke Japanese and could know more! We’ll have to just keep an eye on the numbers out there that are graded (still unreliable) or the known ones in known collectors hands.

Btw, does anyone know any collectors that aren’t on this site who definitely own pikas, tmbs, or ssbs? Just for numbers sake.

Trophy Pikachu distribution is as follows:

1st tournament: -1997 (2 of each printed)
Makuhari Messe, Chiba between June 14-15, 1997.

Charizard Mega Battle: 1997/1998 (6-14 printed dependent on age groups and two day tournaments)
Masala Cup: Kobe International Exhibition Hall, Kobe on November 8, 1997.
Tokiwa Cup: Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan Dome, Fukuoka on December 7, 1997.
Nibi Cup: Makuhari Messe, Chiba between January 10-11, 1998.
Hanada Cup: Kyocera Dome Osaka, Osaka on February 1, 1998.
Sion Cup: Sapporo Community Dome, Sapporo on February 8, 1998.
Kuchiba Cup: Nagoya Dome, Nagoya on February 15, 1998.

Kamex Mega battle: ( 5-14 printed dependent on age groups and two day tournaments)
Kantō conference: Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama between July 19-20, 1998.
Chūbu conference: Port Messe Nagoya, Nagoya on July 26, 1998.
Kyūshū conference: Fukuoka Kokusai Center, Fukuoka on August 2, 1998.
Hokkaidō conference: AXES Sapporo, Sapporo on August 16, 1998.
Kansai conference: Kyoto International Conference Center, Kyoto between August 22-23, 1998.

The cards were NOT awarded in the finals contrary to popular belief and there is no 1999 printing. These dates are from bulbapedia which match up exactly to the dates given in the official card book 2000.

^^^ Mike knows his stuff!

I knew about the Pikas not being awarded in finals but sweet Jesus that seems like a lot! I would imagine more would show up if there were that many. Every 1997 trophy pika is accounted for (except one #2?), surprising there are so few of the 1998s out there.

But yes you know your stuff! :blush:

That #2 is most likely still in the hands of a German girl collector. So they are all accounted for. :blush:

Another reason I hate language barriers! I had heard that mentioned before, I would love to ask her what she has maybe ask her to do a photobucket :stuck_out_tongue: same with qbx!

I’d honestly want to see David Persin’s Trophy set from every year at World’s plus his prerelease raichu. Also Jimmy Hume’s collection would be awesome to see the Snap prize cards.