Troll and toad

Hello, I have a card I wanted to buy off Troll and Toad store considering all their reviews, I’m guessing some of you have purchased? If the card says near mint is that basically saying “expect a PSA 7” quality? I can’t seem to find pics of the actual card it looks like just a stock photo…

On vintage cards I would expect EX-NM or EX in some cases. For modern cards NM or NM-Mint. They always use stock photos as well.

3 Likes

Okay thanks! I’ve never bought from them so was unsure, thank you.

Scott’s description is extremely accurate. If you are buying from a “merchant”, expect even lower quality control, except of course from reputable merchants. Customer service however, is excellent as a buyer.

Even on card that says “sees pictures for description”, the card I got was no where looking like what the picture looked like.

For me tnt is hit or miss with old product. For me it is literally 50/50. One good order, then another thats bad etc. With new product they are pretty good! GL!

It’s a roulette basically. I would avoid TnT if you are looking for cards to grade, even for the newer cards

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I’ll pass on the card after hearing your thoughts.

I have only received one NM card from them that did not meet my expectations. I sent them a note about it and they gave me the option of a 20% refund to keep it or a full refund if I sent it back. I have ordered 100 or more other NM cards from them and they all showed up looking pack fresh.

1 Like

Would you care to tell us what kind of product you were buying? I’m guessing newer cards when you’re saying everything was pack fresh.
@jcincy101 It’s a bit of a gamble, but they will issue a full refund if you’re not happy so if it’s a good deal it’s definitely worth a shot. I think expecting a 7 on vintage WOTC holos sounds about right, I’d say in the 6 to 8 range. Once a blue moon you might score a Mint/Gem Mint.

I’ve ordered a lot of “NM” WoTC singles from TaT and the condition definitely varies. Whenever I order the more expensive cards (only up to $50 to avoid customs) I do get a bit worried when opening the package as I don’t know if I’ll be satisfied with the condition, but most of the time it’s fine. Late last year when I was finishing my 1st edition jungle and fossil holos, I got a Gengar that is an easy PSA 9, but I also got a Mr. Mime with half of his face scratched off (along with many other scratches and smudges). As someone else mentioned, their customer service is top notch. I quickly received a full refund for the Mr. Mime and bought another one from them that looked great.

If you’re looking for gradeable cards, stay away. They’re great if you’re going for a NM binder collection though.

I’ve primarily ordered cards from 2003 to 2009 from their online store, all in NM condition. I think ~75% have met my qualifications for NM and I have graded a couple of PSA 9s and 1 Gem Mint 10 from a purchase. Definitely hit or miss, stay away if the intent is to grade, but most of the time it will be fine for binders.

Got the majority of my 1st edition Gym Challenge from them and have Gym Heroes cards on the way. The cards are for a NM binder collection but exceeded my expectations. Just got the last few cards from them since they were back in stock. No issues ordering from Canada and the one time I needed customer service they were great.

I ordered a couple cards from TCG Player and it is extremely hit or miss. Many sellers don’t ship out of the US. Countless times I tried to buy something and the sellers couldn’t find the cards. Shipping can be a killer.

Ordered 3 cards from Collectorscache and still haven’t receieved them a month later.

Ebay can be sketchy and the cards are often cheaper on Troll & Toad.

$2.50 shipping to Canada from T&T also helps. It’s the best option I’ve found for my collecting purposes but will depend what you’re looking for and where you’re located.

Troll and toad for the convenience of getting a cart together and finishing a binder collection…I wouldn’t buy from them expecting gradable cards.

I feel like trollandtoad is a lot more strict when it comes to more expensive cards. I ordered 5 unlimited NM fossil lapras holos from them a while ago for like $1,50 each, all of them had major silvering and edgewear and were scratched to hell. The other cards in that order were all $5 or higher and were fine in terms of condition.
On the other hand, I watched a youtube video of Rhymestyle where he graded a PSA 10 LC reverse zard that he bought from trollandtoad. Pokesoup also bought a lightly played crystal lugia that graded a PSA 8. I personally wouldn’t risk buying from them for grading purposes, but I do believe the quality gets better when buying more valuable cards.

1 Like

I wonder if and how much that might vary depending on troll and toad vs. the other vendor options the have. Most of mine have been the main Troll and Toad option but I will keep track.

It’s an inconvienience for $1.50 but I’m sure they would refund you for a NM lapras that showed up as you described it. At least the reliable customer service is there as an easy option instead of fighting with someone on ebay, etc…

1 Like

i agree with the hit or miss. But i did buy some shinings for the vault or whatever, and they were better then described. Also picked up a steelix from one of the merchants that said near mint, but it might be good enough for a psa 10