Trending: Pokemon Live-Action Film

Forbes Article:

www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/04/16/pokemon-live-action-movie-rights-enters-bidding-battle/#3b86d0908cb3

Looks like the 20 year anniversary hype could possibly lead to a phenomena v 2.0 - Thoughts?

With the way video game and anime live action movies usually go, the best I can be right now is skeptical yet still cautiously optimistic.

2 Likes

True, the last thing we need is another Dragon Ball Evolution debacle!

1 Like

The challenge feels even greater for Pokémon over other franchises because you need to make the Pokémon realistic without being obnoxiously cheesy.

3 Likes

youtube Dragonball Light of hope.

I would pay to see that in theaters. I wipe my ass with the DB evolution.

3 Likes

Absolutely stupid Idea

There’s just no reason to do this in live action in my opinion. It’s similar to my take on the Warcraft movie that’s coming out soon; except to an even greater extent. There, they have a franchise that’s well established in having awesome CGI cinematics, yet they chose to go for live action actors when CGI is going to have to be heavily used anyway. Why take that risk? This applies even more so for Pokemon because it’s not like you can even put people in costumes for this.

Just give us more Pokemon Origins… :slightly_frowning_face:

there is no way to top how bad DB evolution was. It’s up there with the film adaptation of Eragon.

2 Likes

The Inheritance Cycle is one of my favorite series and I felt like I wasted $10 to see that film.

I just watched it, it is fantastic even with low budget and ordinary CGI.

Reminds me of Mortal Kombat: Rebirth for those who like MK. Such a fantastic production basically from the fan base.

I wish studios would latch onto these ideas…

1 Like

If its worse than dragonball evo, ill quit collecting…

Got to love MK :3 Personally I think if this is not done well it will come over very cheesy! Even so will they make Ash a ten year old boy? Or cast a much older actor xD Even then would they cast anyone famous or amateur ?

1 Like

Obviously its a lot of ways this can fail, but I will not judge it before I see it, it could be interesting.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing

I can tell you right now it is not even close to the amount of work as if they used full cgi for the movie. I would loved if they did; would have had to hire hundreds of additional animators. (I also think they are just butchering a lot of the Warcraft lore as of late)

I need to start some sort of animation thread here on the forum for nerds on things like that

I have dreamed of a live action Pokemon since 1999, but want it to be a masterpiece like the 1st Jurassic Park or Avatar, and use Japanese- American cast. To see blastoise in a darker blue shade with a real turtle shell. Or Charizard have lizard scaled skin, pikachu looking like a funky cuscus! Can they do it, yes? Will they do it or make a crappy movie? It is unknown but a good movie would take at least 4-5 years to make. Oh and I wanted the cast to be predominately from Japan yet speak bilingual so they could dual record it. Yeah, I dream but oh well!

FYI- A spotted cuscus is a real animal - look it up!

2 Likes

Just came across some new information regarding the Pokemon live action movie that’s supposedly in the works - it’s going to be about Detective Pikachu, the character that debuted in the Japanese 3DS game back in February 2016.

Source:
www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-30/monsters-vs-aliens-rob-letterman-directs-live-action-pokemon-film/.109348

I’m actually okay with this development; focusing on a spinoff side story like this gives the movie a fighting chance to be at least somewhat decent. A main Pokemon universe live action movie was a disaster waiting to happen.

detective pikachu…
i wont be seeing it

I know I’ll probably get crap for saying this but this has been done correctly and that was Transformers with Michael Bay. Good story? That’s up to debate but the CGi was ridiculous and never in a million years anyone would have thought of some kid robot cartoons turning up realistic. Of course, that took years and a $100M production. I remember in one of the dvds I have he mentions how the transformation of the bots took almost a year to develop before they even started actual filming. In order for a studio to shed that kind of money there has to be a good chance of the movie or flopping otherwise we end up with something like Mars needs Mom or worse.

It’ll be titled, “Sneaka Pika Seeka” lol.

I believe anything that advances/advertises the franchise is great for the hobby.
Count my words. 20 years from now, when you all are old and fat like me, this hobby will be strong:)

1 Like