To Grade or Not to Grade (Anyone have experience in PSA?)

Just opened a Unbroken Bonds box I bought for 10 bucks and got lucky with a full art Green’s Exploration.

Now the card is worth 200-300 US dollars if graded at PSA 10 and I got it right from the box into a sleeve.

PSA 9 drops the price drastically: ~40-60 US dollars

Now look at this close-up of the card I took: imgur.com/gallery/RraRtIn

Yeah, I got unlucky and it came slightly dented right out of the box (on the hair).

I am completely new to grading stuff-- I have a bunch of vintage pokemon cards that I want to get graded but not 20, the amount needed to send in for grading-- so I was wondering whether that ding has taken me out of the running for a PSA 10 card. Keep in mind that the card, otherwise, has no scratching, no whitening, sufficiently centered, and straight from pack to sleeve.

Even if it hasn’t, does anyone have insight on whether I should hold or sell the card? It is from the Unbroken Bonds set which I still found at my local walmart so I can’t see the price increasing.

If the grader catches it, an indent leads to an automatic 6. No matter how mint it is otherwise.
Should you sell the card? Well, that’s obviously on you. Make sure to disclose the damage if you do so!
Will it increase/decrease in the future? Your guess is as good as anyone’s.

In my opinion this is a prime example of a perfect binder card. Basically flawless eye-appeal but hardly worth grading :blush:

2 Likes

Hard to tell if that’s actually a dent or not.

If it is, you have no chance of getting a 10 if the grader notices it. Most people get absolutely hosed thinking their cards are all PSA 10 condition on their first submission.

Another thing to take into consideration is that the 20 card minimum “bulk” rate will run you at a $200 minimum + shipping & insurance fees at current grading rates, and you wont be getting your cards back for a few months. That isn’t including 12%+ online merchant fees + shipping costs after you do end up selling. You’ll also need to purchase a PSA membership on top of this, unless you plan on going through an 2nd party grading service like Ludkins Collectibles.

The real question here is what do you value those other cards once graded? Be it financial or sentimental, the decision is up to you. I personally wouldn’t recommend a submission unless you have multiple cards that can easily sell for $100+.

1 Like

TY to both of you for the responses. Now that I take a second look at my card I can’t tell if it is a dent or not. The photo I took makes it look way worse than it looks in person as I focused all the light on the imperfection-- it almost resembles a small hole. When I feel the dent in question I can’t really tell if it is a bump or a hole. Furthermore, there seems to be no issue whatsoever with the back, something that I would expect to be altered by a dent.

You almost always add more than the $10 grading fee to the card. Personally I would grade nice modern cards with a 9/10 shot or vintage favourites even if they end up with a 3 or 5 I’m not that bothered because to me it looks cool and I believe in the very far future someone is going to want an authenticated and slabbed Fossil Dragonite or Articuno more than a raw one

1 Like