Is this card within PSA 9 parameters?

Hello all

Recently purchased a PSA 9 with a dinged corner (see below). Is this normal of a PSA 9?
Not feeling too happy about this…

1 Like

Edited post

Typically I have found corner wear on the back of a PSA 9 more often and less often on the front. This seems fair for a 9 though, assuming that flaw may be from the factory or just from handling.

It’s a 9 not a 10.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply! At least i know that psa9s can have corner dings now. :expressionless:

This is one of those times to keep in mind that while there are objective grading standards for a PSA 9, grading is performed by humans and there is a distribution of how strong the 9 will be. A majority of the time 9s will be mint cards, but there are 9s with flaws like this corner ding.

I’d categorize this as a weak 9, personally. If it does bother you, you can always try and pick up another copy, or grade one yourself that meets your quality expectations.

1 Like

This is a 6 most of the time in my experience, this is pretty large and obvious. I have graded many cards with much smaller, almost impossible to see dings and they always come back 6.

5 Likes

This is a weak 9 imo.

Don’t feel too bad op. I have a modern PSA 10 with a corner ding similar to yours.

I see that’s a newer cert. I agree with what others have said, this would be a “weak” 9. I’ve seen similar dings like that to both corners and edges. If it really bothers you, just sell it and buy a different copy.

I have these on psa 10s I’ve showed before it’s pretty normal.

1 Like

Most Japanese Vintage cards with corner dings are PSA 8 in my experience. You could reach out to PSA for the grade guarantee if you want them to regrade it and cut you a check for the difference. But this card isn’t worth a whole lot, so it may just be a big waste of time in the end.

2 Likes

Man you’ve had back luck I thought it was a standard on 9s and 10s I’ve loads I’ve graded or bought.

How about this PSA9. The scratches on the holo is within the 9 grade? Scratch is at holo bottle left near the bushes.

Thank god PSA have scans now.

3 Likes

Yikes those scratches are pretty brutal

1 Like

Yes Thank goodness for the PSA scans.

Buy the card, not the grade is advocated but sellers gets annoyed when buyers ask for more photos. :joy:

1 Like

Nothing out of the ordinary. I’ve got cards that have scratches but don’t show on the scans psa 10 and 9 grades.

1 Like

You might be happier buying PSA 10s, my friend :person_shrugging:

I’ve posted this before but sometimes things that knock down cards somehow make it past psa. This card I purchased somehow got a psa 8 but had a very deep cut on the holo. Ended up selling it at the price of a 6 and just bought a copy in person that looked good in my eyes.

2 Likes

This is not totally out of the norm from what I’ve seen on some 9s, especially for a normal/white back card. I find they show holo wear more easily. With this said, a PSA 8 might have been a more accurate grade.

Crazy thing is my PSA 5 1st Ed Charizard has even less scratches than this when I blew it up on my scanner, but definitely a good amount of corner whitening which was the main factor making it a 5.

This is why for me personally if it’s not a 10 I really do the “buy the card, not the grade” approach, especially for lower grades.