How did this get a 10?

Came across this listing and noticed three distinct spots of white on the top back of the card. I can’t imagine any circumstance where this card would get a 9, let alone a 10. Any insights?

looks like a sure 9 for me but i would be hesitant in a 10. Grader didnt spot the spots?

I was wondering the same about this card: www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Cards-Brocks-Trainer-Deck-A-Machamp-Base-Set-8-102-PSA-10-Gem-Mint-/162246684035?hash=item25c6a7ed83:g:eH0AAOSwal5YCCX6
Top right corner and left bottom clearly have whitening…

Possible scenarios:
-Could of been resubmitted multiple times, eventually the grader missing the whitening and hence 10
-Card could of been in gem mint condition, then when PSA is encapsulating the card, could of damaged the card and hence causing the whitening

Its like an exam, a 99% is a first class grade, a 70% is also a first class grade(my university’s grading system), so maybe not all PSA 10 cards are graded 99%, some maybe 70%, but both still qualify for the first class grade(PSA10).

Could just be me, but I feel like grading standards have gotten sloppier/more lenient since they started adding the holo sticker.

It’s that you guys point out the whitening, I didn’t see it. But indeed two small markings. Could be from encapsulating. It’s a PSA10, it’s what the professional graded gave it. It’s a low 10, but it’s a 10.

Looks fine to me, it’s a psa 10 not a bgs 10. See psa 10s like this all the time. For everyone who scrutinizes psa grades don’t collect them then.

Off topic a bit and not directing this towards anyone specific but I have had a lot of complaints mainly on 9s that the card should have deserved an 8 because of 1 scratch. Starting to get real annoying everyone getting mad at the seller for not describing the condition of a psa card… this is why I pay them to grade my cards so I don’t have to describe the condition and be mad if it’s not in the condition I state it is in.

8 Likes

10’s can vary. We will all lose our minds if we start focusing on low or high or medium tens. This one isnt that bad.

I guess it depends on the grader. Shame there’s no way to walk in to the PSA building and pick the homie with astigmatism.

PSA 10 doesn’t mean perfect. Not sure why these threads pop up constantly. PSA 10 DOES NOT MEAN PERFECT. Maybe if I say it 3 times…PSA 10 DOES NOT MEAN PERFECT :blush:

And I like to think the people asking about scratches on PSA cards just want to know for their own collection. No one wants to display a PSA card with some scratches if they can find one without for the same price that was marked down for backside edgeware. But that is just my opinion. But I totally get it, its annoying to have people constantly ask whats wrong with the PSA 8 or 9 card. It has a few minor issues, deal with it!

1 Like

I think what is frustrating is how inconsistent grading will be. You should not have to “hope” for a generous grader for PSA 10s. Some cards have zero flaws yet come back as 9s. I just wish there was more consistency all around.

1 Like

I can relate too that!

We pay PSA to grade cards to specific requirements, then a buyer moans at you as if you somehow you set the grade yourself!

Doesn’t happen too often but definitely buyers out there, looking to buy 9s, too regrade too 10s for quick buck, and if the cards do not look ‘gem’ chancers then they say it’s not mint… :confused:

Like at becketts, even a 9 for edges gets a gem mint grade. Those two little dots are normally caused by pulling cards out of binders or tight sleeves. Those two dots on one of the 8 front and back edges will bring that category to a 9 but if all else is perfect the card still deserves the 10.